Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Aug 28, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
What MCT would you suggest to clear immigration and check in coming to SIN on SQ and (if interlining not possible) continuing on Scoot to PEN?
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Carotthat
What MCT would you suggest to clear immigration and check in coming to SIN on SQ and (if interlining not possible) continuing on Scoot to PEN?

scoot check in/bag drop close 60 mins before departure. So plus another 30 mins after arrival for walking to luggage belt/immigration. Plus another 15-20 mins if you arrive in T3 or T2.

not taking any delay in the SQ flight

you cant book SQ to Penang in the same PNR? Usually it is cheaper also.
Carotthat likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
SQ-flight was an award, on PE. As there is no PE on SIN-PEN, the ticket could not be issued
Old Aug 29, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Carotthat
SQ-flight was an award, on PE. As there is no PE on SIN-PEN, the ticket could not be issued
If you call they can book mixed classes, subject to availability.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
SQ to QR Interline on Separate Tickets

Hi All,

I have 2 separate tickets booked as follows:

Segment 1: BKK-SIN (SQ J class)
Segment 2: SIN-DOH-SFO (QR J class)

There's a 4 h 45 min connection time between the 2 flights. Any chance SQ will interline my bags to QR ex-BKK? Looking for specific experiences ex-BKK.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Your bigger concern should building a reasonable buffer into your self-connection, since there's no guarantee you'll be protected in case of a misconnect.
So am I to conclude that SQ-SQ isn't necessarily protected in case of a misconnect?

I was thinking of doing a 2h10m self-connect in SIN (from MNL), but I may make it 9h just to make sure. I'd prefer not to because it'd be a 7am departure.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Hi All,

I have 2 separate tickets booked as follows:

Segment 1: BKK-SIN (SQ J class)
Segment 2: SIN-DOH-SFO (QR J class)

There's a 4 h 45 min connection time between the 2 flights. Any chance SQ will interline my bags to QR ex-BKK? Looking for specific experiences ex-BKK.
BKK agents are quite heplful. You should be fine.

Originally Posted by Metanoia
So am I to conclude that SQ-SQ isn't necessarily protected in case of a misconnect?

I was thinking of doing a 2h10m self-connect in SIN (from MNL), but I may make it 9h just to make sure. I'd prefer not to because it'd be a 7am departure.
The inherent risk of separate bookings is the lack of protection. This holds true at just about any airline, AFAIK.

Granted, SQ might help if you do misconnect as their frontline staff tend to be quite customer-friendly, but this can't be relied upon. You didn't mention any details about the onward ticket, but if no-showing it would cause a huge amount of pain then you should err on the side of caution.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by SilverChris
BKK agents are quite heplful. You should be fine.

The inherent risk of separate bookings is the lack of protection. This holds true at just about any airline, AFAIK.

Granted, SQ might help if you do misconnect as their frontline staff tend to be quite customer-friendly, but this can't be relied upon. You didn't mention any details about the onward ticket, but if no-showing it would cause a huge amount of pain then you should err on the side of caution.
Good point.. the onward is a twice-daily to HYD so schedule-wise, not the end of the world. But, the change fee and fare difference for a last minute ticket would probably be painful enough to just go the night before, pay for a hotel and enjoy a hawker centre. Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:52 am

Separate tickets SQ from JFK-FRA & OS FRA-VIE-ZTH

I called Singapore Air's NY customer service about through-check for luggage (SQ flight from JFK-FRA) to a separate ticket flight on Austrian Air (OS) from FRA-VIE-ZTH. I was told that I would have to recheck my luggage, but there wasn't a good explanation and the agent didn't seem to have any experience with this question. So, I am doubting that I was given a correct response. Can anyone help me? The transfer in FRA will be 2 hours and 10 min, so I'm worried about making this if we have to recheck luggage. Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by jbright
I called Singapore Air's NY customer service about through-check for luggage (SQ flight from JFK-FRA) to a separate ticket flight on Austrian Air (OS) from FRA-VIE-ZTH. I was told that I would have to recheck my luggage, but there wasn't a good explanation and the agent didn't seem to have any experience with this question. So, I am doubting that I was given a correct response. Can anyone help me? The transfer in FRA will be 2 hours and 10 min, so I'm worried about making this if we have to recheck luggage. Thanks.
Internal guidelines says that bags can be tagged through to OS flights.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Delete

Last edited by williamluk; Oct 20, 2023 at 1:34 pm
Old Oct 22, 2023, 4:14 am

Just flew SQ from BKK-SIN-LHR in business class - and had a separate BA ticket from LHR-NCL - and they were able to check my bags in from Bangkok all the way to Newcastle, despite the fact it was two separate tickets. They were even able to issue a boarding pass for LHR-NCL. Made life much easier when landing in LHR as I could get the airside bus from T2 to T5.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
I have ended up using up some points I had sitting around and have currently booked
MEL-SIN on SQ J 0700-1140 with Aeroplan points and then
SIN-DXB on SQ J 1505-1845 with Velocity points
SQ will obviously check bags through from MEL to DXB but im keen to push on to Kuwait that night and I can grab a EK flight DXB-KWI at 2045 or KU flight at 2255 which gives me 4hrs if need be.
The EK flight would give me only 2hrs transfer time at DXB and i dont think this is enough or is this something Marhaba can do or will SQ check my bags all the way through from MEL to KWI?
If it gets too hard i guess ill collect my bags in DXB and check back in on the later KU flight
Old Oct 31, 2023, 11:57 am

Looking to fly KTM--SIN on SQ
have a separate ticket from SIN -- YVR on AC
i am planning on leaving 27hrs between these flights so wouldn't need to interline
if however my travels within Nepal get completely messed up, and i have to move flight to the following day, with only 3 hrs between SQ and AC flights, will SQ agent in KTM interline my bags? Both *A but separate tickets and I don't know how helpful SQ (or not) agents at KTM will be
just wondering how viable of a plan b i have

on a somewhat related note. If i were to book the same flight on consecutive days planning on cancelling second one would that trigger something with ticketing at SQ? hypothetically it would be physically possible to travel on both but I'm not sure how SQ handles these issues.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce
I have ended up using up some points I had sitting around and have currently booked
MEL-SIN on SQ J 0700-1140 with Aeroplan points and then
SIN-DXB on SQ J 1505-1845 with Velocity points
SQ will obviously check bags through from MEL to DXB but im keen to push on to Kuwait that night and I can grab a EK flight DXB-KWI at 2045 or KU flight at 2255 which gives me 4hrs if need be.
The EK flight would give me only 2hrs transfer time at DXB and i dont think this is enough or is this something Marhaba can do or will SQ check my bags all the way through from MEL to KWI?
If it gets too hard i guess ill collect my bags in DXB and check back in on the later KU flight
SQ can check through bags at DXB for EK but keep in mind that the connection isn't protected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.