Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage limit enforcement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Baggage limit enforcement

Hello - I am flying Suites next month US-Singapore; has anyone had any recent experience with SQ and how strict they are on the baggage limits? I have one item which is 60 pounds, which I am hoping to check-in and not be hit with an excess baggage charge.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
YMMV, but I think you'd be able to get away with it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:51 am

I was in economy about a month ago, and they were quite strict about weight with our bags. And, ours were small (17.5 inches long). Things might be different in your fare class.

dcman2
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by ghostboy
Hello - I am flying Suites next month US-Singapore; has anyone had any recent experience with SQ and how strict they are on the baggage limits? I have one item which is 60 pounds, which I am hoping to check-in and not be hit with an excess baggage charge.

Thanks in advance.
You can go up to 70lbs
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ghostboy
Hello - I am flying Suites next month US-Singapore....
Baggage weight limit is for Economy flyers. Suite Class flyers can normally check an elephant.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Which comes in stark contract to Emirates, where if you are like 2kg over the limit for First Class (in suites) then they will try to shake you down for extra cash.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
ghostboy I have regularly had 25 to 30kg bags checked though when traveling Suites (I will let you do the conversion - those from civilized countries will understand ) - and there has never been an issue.

Bear in mind however that even SQ have a baggage 'policy' and transgressions may indeed be policed. I would think you will be ok but there is no guarantee - hope that helps.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite
ghostboy I have regularly had 25 to 30kg bags checked though when traveling Suites (I will let you do the conversion - those from civilized countries will understand ) - and there has never been an issue.

Bear in mind however that even SQ have a baggage 'policy' and transgressions may indeed be policed. I would think you will be ok but there is no guarantee - hope that helps.
Thank you Cruiser Elite and others for your responses - the camping BBQ I checked in actually came in at 47 pounds despite Amazon stating the packaged weight was 60 pounds. So, it was all ok in the end. What was funny though, when checking in LAX, the attendant said "Sir"......as she pulls out her phone (I gulp thinking she's about to call a supervisor - before I see it weigh in at 47lbs)......"would you mind if I take a picture of that - I've been looking for something like that"!!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
OMG - too funny.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: SPG, Krisflyer
My GF when she flew back to ICN was a good 5kg over the baggage allowance in Economy, they didn't care in the slightest.
This was from LHR however..
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:35 am

I've traveled through SIN and SYD and they are pretty alrite for about 5kg.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Just checked in tonight for JFK-FRA-SIN in Suites and they tried to ding me $149 for a 3rd bag until i pulled out my *G card and got it waived.

Seems that checked allowance USA-SIN is 2 bags @ 23kg regardless of class of travel... Bizarre.!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmdsea
.....Seems that checked allowance USA-SIN is 2 bags @ 23kg regardless of class of travel... Bizarre.!
Yes, it is the same for all under piece concept (to/from USA), although there is a minor size restriction for cattle. F/C gets more allowance under weight concept. The enforcement, however, can differ by class of service. They don't really care if you are over 23Kg for Suite Class, but not additional bag. In short, you can check in two elephants, but have to pay for third koala.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...ge-allowances/
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:40 am

good news, i heard that SQ will be raising the baggage limit for all passengers across all classes by 10kg come 9 December 2013

about time. SQ is lagging behind the rest!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by leogeo
i heard that SQ will be raising the baggage limit for all passengers across all classes by 10kg come 9 December 2013
Really? That would be great!
Do you have a link, please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.