Short-checking bags on SQ

Old Jun 28, 13, 4:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TXL
Programs: *G, AB Gold, EY Gold, Hilto Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 48
Short-checking bags on SQ

Hi there!

I've searched FT quite a bit, but haven't been able to find any information on whether SQ will short-check bags for you. It's not a long connection, but our plans have changed and we'd save a conderable amount of money by skipping the last leg of our itinerary.

Anyone have some experience with this?
We're flying exJFK, if that makes a difference.

Thanks a bunch.
JeannieU2 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 13, 3:05 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,750
Please provide your scheduled itinerary... And what is the time in between connections?
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Jun 29, 13, 5:37 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TXL
Programs: *G, AB Gold, EY Gold, Hilto Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Please provide your scheduled itinerary... And what is the time in between connections?
Hi!

SQ25 JFK-FRA, 2-hour layover, LH1238 FRA-VIE

If possible, I'd like to skip the last leg (and still check in luggage)
JeannieU2 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 13, 2:15 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,750
Originally Posted by JeannieU2 View Post
Hi!

SQ25 JFK-FRA, 2-hour layover, LH1238 FRA-VIE

If possible, I'd like to skip the last leg (and still check in luggage)
Is this the last of your itinerary, or the start of it? What is your itinerary after FRA-VIE? Is there a return?

Is this an award ticket, or a paid ticket?

Basically you can check bags to FRA only , to say that you need to retrieve medication from checked bags. And you may skip the FRA to VIE segment. This is only doable if you have no return reservation. If you have onward reservations after VIE, your remaining and return reservation will all be cancelled if you skip the FRA-VIE sector.

I see you're from TXL, so I assume that's the return sector?
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Jun 30, 13, 5:55 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TXL
Programs: *G, AB Gold, EY Gold, Hilto Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Is this the last of your itinerary, or the start of it? What is your itinerary after FRA-VIE? Is there a return?

Is this an award ticket, or a paid ticket?

Basically you can check bags to FRA only , to say that you need to retrieve medication from checked bags. And you may skip the FRA to VIE segment. This is only doable if you have no return reservation. If you have onward reservations after VIE, your remaining and return reservation will all be cancelled if you skip the FRA-VIE sector.

I see you're from TXL, so I assume that's the return sector?
Hi! Thanks so much. Now I see where you're coming from. It's an award ticket and it's only one-way (the return). So the only flight I'd be "losing" would be the FRA-VIE. I've read some stories of certain airlines not allowing short-checking luggage. Sometimes the computer doesn't even allow it. If I book an extra FRA-TXL leg, I want to make sure I can retrieve my bags in FRA.
JeannieU2 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 13, 8:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CGK
Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by JeannieU2 View Post
Hi! Thanks so much. Now I see where you're coming from. It's an award ticket and it's only one-way (the return). So the only flight I'd be "losing" would be the FRA-VIE. I've read some stories of certain airlines not allowing short-checking luggage. Sometimes the computer doesn't even allow it. If I book an extra FRA-TXL leg, I want to make sure I can retrieve my bags in FRA.
I've done this from Paris to Singapore, though my itnerary included a connection to Jakarta. The agent made sure I knew what I was requesting but didn't hassle me at all. In my case, I "short checked" because I had bags I wanted to stay in Singapore, although I would then continue on to Jakarta. Based on this experience, I think as long as the leg you are throwing away is the last leg, you should be ok all around with your intended plan.
SQShortFinal is offline  
Old Jul 1, 13, 3:02 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TXL
Programs: *G, AB Gold, EY Gold, Hilto Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 48
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice!
JeannieU2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: