Search

Short-checking bags on SQ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, AB Gold, EY Gold, Hilto Diamond, SPG Gold
Short-checking bags on SQ

Hi there!

I've searched FT quite a bit, but haven't been able to find any information on whether SQ will short-check bags for you. It's not a long connection, but our plans have changed and we'd save a conderable amount of money by skipping the last leg of our itinerary.

Anyone have some experience with this?
We're flying exJFK, if that makes a difference.

Thanks a bunch.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Please provide your scheduled itinerary... And what is the time in between connections?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Please provide your scheduled itinerary... And what is the time in between connections?
Hi!

SQ25 JFK-FRA, 2-hour layover, LH1238 FRA-VIE

If possible, I'd like to skip the last leg (and still check in luggage)
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by JeannieU2
Hi!

SQ25 JFK-FRA, 2-hour layover, LH1238 FRA-VIE

If possible, I'd like to skip the last leg (and still check in luggage)
Is this the last of your itinerary, or the start of it? What is your itinerary after FRA-VIE? Is there a return?

Is this an award ticket, or a paid ticket?

Basically you can check bags to FRA only , to say that you need to retrieve medication from checked bags. And you may skip the FRA to VIE segment. This is only doable if you have no return reservation. If you have onward reservations after VIE, your remaining and return reservation will all be cancelled if you skip the FRA-VIE sector.

I see you're from TXL, so I assume that's the return sector?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Is this the last of your itinerary, or the start of it? What is your itinerary after FRA-VIE? Is there a return?

Is this an award ticket, or a paid ticket?

Basically you can check bags to FRA only , to say that you need to retrieve medication from checked bags. And you may skip the FRA to VIE segment. This is only doable if you have no return reservation. If you have onward reservations after VIE, your remaining and return reservation will all be cancelled if you skip the FRA-VIE sector.

I see you're from TXL, so I assume that's the return sector?
Hi! Thanks so much. Now I see where you're coming from. It's an award ticket and it's only one-way (the return). So the only flight I'd be "losing" would be the FRA-VIE. I've read some stories of certain airlines not allowing short-checking luggage. Sometimes the computer doesn't even allow it. If I book an extra FRA-TXL leg, I want to make sure I can retrieve my bags in FRA.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by JeannieU2
Hi! Thanks so much. Now I see where you're coming from. It's an award ticket and it's only one-way (the return). So the only flight I'd be "losing" would be the FRA-VIE. I've read some stories of certain airlines not allowing short-checking luggage. Sometimes the computer doesn't even allow it. If I book an extra FRA-TXL leg, I want to make sure I can retrieve my bags in FRA.
I've done this from Paris to Singapore, though my itnerary included a connection to Jakarta. The agent made sure I knew what I was requesting but didn't hassle me at all. In my case, I "short checked" because I had bags I wanted to stay in Singapore, although I would then continue on to Jakarta. Based on this experience, I think as long as the leg you are throwing away is the last leg, you should be ok all around with your intended plan.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.