Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Interlining Qns: SQ - LH

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Luggage Interlining Qns: SQ - LH

So I have an existing OW ticket SIN - FRA - IST. (SQ then LH)

Plans changed so I have another ticket from FRA - VIE (LH)

I don't want to change my existing ticket to IST as it's plated on another *A carrier with high change fees.

Is it possible for me to check my bags to VIE? Initially I was thinking I can just check it to FRA but to recheck it in would be quite a pain. And FRA is not the most well laid out airport.

What should I tell the agent? Just tag it to VIE by showing my itinerary?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
No one knows what I should do?

Perhaps I should have used a more interesting subject title.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Probably yes, because your question is definitely not about interlining...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
You will probably risk having your ticket repriced if you check in directly to Vienna.

Is it not possible to fly from Istanbul back to Vienna instead?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Initial ticket booked as SIN - FRA - IST is issued by *A partner on an Award booking. I'm not actually worried that there will be any issues from that partner if I miss one leg.

Ticket for FRA - VIE is issued by yet a different *A partner for that LH flight.

I'm not sure if SQ will care if I don't intend to fly the FRA - IST sector (when they are not the issuing airline)? If it will be an issue then I'll just tag it to FRA and collect and re check it when I'm there.

But I'm just wondering if others have been in this scenario and if so whether it's any problem if I check it to VIE.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I do not think they will let you check your luggage to different destination than your ticket shows... Showing them another ticket and admitting to sector skipping may not be such a good idea even on award booking.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Delete. Oops, misread OP's question!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by lsed
Initial ticket booked as SIN - FRA - IST is issued by *A partner on an Award booking. I'm not actually worried that there will be any issues from that partner if I miss one leg.

Ticket for FRA - VIE is issued by yet a different *A partner for that LH flight.

I'm not sure if SQ will care if I don't intend to fly the FRA - IST sector (when they are not the issuing airline)? If it will be an issue then I'll just tag it to FRA and collect and re check it when I'm there.

But I'm just wondering if others have been in this scenario and if so whether it's any problem if I check it to VIE.
No. Bags will be tagged only to where ticket is shown, ie IST. You may only tag it to FRA if you have say, a few hours in between so that you may say that you need to take something out for fiend you're meeting in FRA. You would thn have to clear immigration , collect your bags and clear customs before proceeding to checking for your other flight.

Note that SQ will most likely not allow this if your connection is less than an hour.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
No. Bags will be tagged only to where ticket is shown, ie IST. You may only tag it to FRA if you have say, a few hours in between so that you may say that you need to take something out for fiend you're meeting in FRA. You would thn have to clear immigration , collect your bags and clear customs before proceeding to checking for your other flight...
OP has to clear immigration at the Schengen port FRA anyway.

I would pay the "high change" fee and save the miles for the FRA-VIE flight by re-issuing it to VIE.

If none of this works, I'd try to book the second award IST-VIE.

And only if that is not an option, I'd attempt to short-check the bags to FRA.

If that fails, you could report ill or unfit to fly in FRA and have the bags pulled for you (that takes a while, say 90 minutes) ... then check them again. But it is seriously not worth doing if it can be avoided by paying a change fee.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by weero
If that fails, you could report ill or unfit to fly in FRA and have the bags pulled for you (that takes a while, say 90 minutes) ... then check them again. But it is seriously not worth doing if it can be avoided by paying a change fee.
You can always just fail to show up for the flight and your bags will be pulled anyway.

I have done something similar when I had a ticket going BKK (TG F) CDG (LH C )FRA (LH C)SEA with TG/LH. As I didn't want to fly CDG-FRA-SEA in LH C, I asked the TG agent to tag my bags up to CDG only and they complied with my request (it was an AC award ticket). I was prepared to have my bags tagged to SEA and "no show" for my CDG-FRA LH C flight if this could not be done.

Note: I had a paid ticket for CDG-FRA-SFO-YVR the next day with the FRA-SFO sector in F that I used instead.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
You can always just fail to show up for the flight and your bags will be pulled anyway..
No ... not with certainty.

I failed to board the ongoing segment from FRA and my bags flew it nonetheless.

My ongoing flight was severely delayed, so I decided to take the train and pull the bags which the luggage handling refused. The bags flew the segment without any problems.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: ROP Gold
OP has to clear immigration at the Schengen port FRA anyway.
:
If none of this works, I'd try to book the second award IST-VIE.
But OP does not need to clear immigration it with his bags.

I would also suggest flying from IST to VIE.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
No. Bags will be tagged only to where ticket is shown, ie IST. You may only tag it to FRA if you have say, a few hours in between so that you may say that you need to take something out for fiend you're meeting in FRA. You would thn have to clear immigration , collect your bags and clear customs before proceeding to checking for your other flight.

Note that SQ will most likely not allow this if your connection is less than an hour.
This is the definitive answer I was looking for. Thanks!

So I'll check it to FRA then - have 6 hours so I have plenty of time.

Originally Posted by anaidross
But OP does not need to clear immigration it with his bags.

I would also suggest flying from IST to VIE.
That adds a few extra hours of travel time while doesn't really work for me. Plus the extra flight will be in intra-europe C - not very enjoyable either.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by anaidross
But OP does not need to clear immigration it with his bags..
Exactly. This makes this more than risky.
Originally Posted by lsed
This is the definitive answer I was looking for. Thanks!

So I'll check it to FRA then - have 6 hours so I have plenty of time.
You do realize that there is zero guarantee that SQ will do this for you, do you?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Exactly. This makes this more than risky.

You do realize that there is zero guarantee that SQ will do this for you, do you?

It's ok I'll take the risk.
I've done this many times with different airlines and on SQ as well.

I'll tell them I have some liquid medication I'll need to take out in FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.