Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Early morning or overnight ex-Haneda. Please help me choose!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Hello,

I am looking at making a redemption on Singapore Airlines from Tokyo Haneda to Hong Kong via Singapore, for January 2014. Flying from Haneda presents me with two alternatives:

1. Early morning flight leaving at 6.35. 5hr layover in SIN, and arriving in HKG around 10pm

2. Overnight flight leaving at 00.30. 8hr layover in SIN, arriving in HKG at 7pm.

Looking at ExpertFlyer the B772, B773 and A333 operating the HND route all have the new regional Business Class. Assuming that most of the fleet will be refitted by the time.

It is my first time flying SQ and I am hoping to try and get as much possible out of my experience.

Picking the early morning alternative may present me some difficulties with getting to Haneda, and also missing out on the lounge. The upside is that it's a daytime flight and I may get to enjoy more of the flight.

The overnight alternative however makes it more convenient with getting to Haneda, and also giving me time to enjoy the lounge. However given the fact that it's an overnight flight, will there still be a full meal + Champagne offered onboard or will the cabin be darkened immediately after takeoff? Also is there a second service before arrival?

As for the SilverKris Lounge at Changi, the shower facilities look fabulous and they would definitely come handy after an overnight flight. Does the lounge also offer dayrooms or relaxing chairs? (like the Lufthansa Senator Lounges in MUC/FRA).

Anyways, help is always appreciated and I apologize if my newbie questions have been answered in earlier threads.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA, Hilton
3. Going to NRT, take SQ11, sleep for few hours at the Transit Hotel and
take SQ866, can these be an alternative ?
I know NRT is distant from the central Tokyo but you can enjoy the flight services
and don't have to pay $$$ for taxi in case 1 & 2.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:59 pm

The early morning flight presents much inconvenience. You would have to stay at a hotel near Haneda Airport where you can catch free hotel shuttle service (please check hotel shuttle schedule). Of course, day flight means you can maximise your enjoyment if this is what you prefer.
The other option night flight is a slightly better choice in comparison. You don't have the hassle of getting to the airport early. Downside is inflight would be supper service & lights will be dimmed for sleeping. Breakfast serves before landing. Of course, champagne is served at your request.
Either way, they are not good choices in your case. Try the NRT option if you can.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:00 am

No dayrooms or chairs in the SKL's unfortunately - and I find the shower rooms a touch small but otherwise they are pretty good.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by LH4116
However given the fact that it's an overnight flight, will there still be a full meal + Champagne offered onboard or will the cabin be darkened immediately after takeoff? Also is there a second service before arrival?
SQ

The menu for SQ 633 looks similar to this:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=683

For a longer stretch of undisturbed rest, we are pleased to offer you meal service options specially timed to suit your preferences. Whether you would like your meal to be served soon after takeoff, or two hours before arrival, or both - simply inform our cabin crew and leave the rest to our care.

Hanakoireki is available as an option or consider book the cook
Old May 28, 2013, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys!

Narita would've been the best choice for me, but sadly as I am redeeming from a *A partner SQ won't release any inventory on flights operated by the 77W and A380.

I suppose the overnight flight will be the best option. Getting to HND in the early morning can be quite difficult, and by taking the overnight I'll have more time to enjoy Tokyo. I suppose the lounge will be open for me, despite the flight leaving after midnight. Also it'll save me money on not taking an extra hotel night in HKG.

If book the cook option is possible for SQ633, I guess that means I can order a full dinner to be enjoyed on the flight, and still manage a few hours of sleep. The second flight SQ872 will be a daytime flight, so hopefully I'll manage to enjoy the service there.
Old May 29, 2013, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

A quick update:

I made a call to my airline to book the ticket today. Was originally planning to book the midnight flight, which showed open seats on both EF and Awardtravelr. Sadly for some reason they were not able to find any seats, so I was forced to chose to early morning flight.

I'm guessing SQ635 is obviously a breakfast flight. Do they offer a full cooked breakfast? Also will there be a second meal service before arrival in Singapore? Considering it's almost lunchtime by then. (and the flight being almost 8hrs long)
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:01 pm

With apologies to OP for piggybacking on his/her questions--is hanakoireki or something similar typically offered on SQ 635? I am facing similar considerations for an upcoming booking and thought it made more sense to ask here than to open a new thread . . . .
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Poster

I made a call to SQ the other day to find out that there was no BTC available on the morning flight.

Due to the poor public transport connections to HND in the morning, I'm thinking of maybe re-booking myself to the overnight flight SQ633. How are the seats on the 773 for sleeping? Also how early does SQ open their check-in counters?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:03 am

Check-in for SQ633 HNDSIN opens 3.5 hours prior to the scheduled departure time.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LH4116
Due to the poor public transport connections to HND in the morning,
Public transportation possibilities if you don't mind getting to the airport about an hour before departure:
4:45am Limousine bus from Shinjuku West Exit gets to HND at 5:15
5:15am Keikyu rapid train from Shinagawa gets to HND at 5:29
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:56 am

I heard that they nixed the second meal service on the flight leaving HND at 0630 for SIN, but am unsure if it's true.

The morning option for meal is a western breakfast or 2 other choices (usually a Japanese one), with fruit.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I heard that they nixed the second meal service on the flight leaving HND at 0630 for SIN, but am unsure if it's true.

The morning option for meal is a western breakfast or 2 other choices (usually a Japanese one), with fruit.
its a two meal service - breakfast and refreshment service
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:59 am
Original Poster

I decided to re-book to the redeye departure SQ633, since it turned out to be too difficult to get to Haneda that early in the morning. Also I saved some money on skipping a hotel night.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Good choice between the two.

As you mentioned one night less in a hotel, plus better hours at the airport with the lounge. Hopefully you'll also catch some zzz's on the plane and breakfast will of course be served in the morning.

Haneda has a lot of interesting food options before you clear passport control. Lots of choices, really. Once you go airside there's just the lounge that will be of interest.

In Tokyo you might want to stay somewhere like the Shiba Park Hotel or someplace similar within walking distance of the Hamamatsucho Station, from where the monorail to Haneda departs. Every so often there is an express train that takes you straight from this station to the Haneda International Terminal. No stops along the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.