Fuel surcharge on United flights

Old Apr 19, 13, 11:42 pm
umc
Original Poster

I googled and did a lot of searches here, but I can't find the answer to my question. Does Singapore Airline impose fuel surcharge on award tickets for international United flight originated in US? I know it doesn't for US domestic. For example, if I want to book an award ticket using KrisFlyer miles for a United flight from SFO to SIN or to HKG, do I have to pay fuel surcharge?
Old Apr 23, 13, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
The answer would be yes. As UA has fuel surcharges on revenue tickets on their international flights, so SQ will charge accordingly.
Old Apr 23, 13, 11:06 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
For once, i might disagree with GB!

I do recall having read somewhere (possibly on sqtalk), that no fuel surcharges were charged for UA redemptions. But then, could be just me drinking a tad too much that day.

Btw, LAN does have a fuel surcharge on revenue bookings, but an Asiamiles redemption on a LA/AA itinerary did not have any. Could have something to do with LAN listing total=fare (total) +tax, with the fare (total) being broken down as fare+fuel surcharge.

Have a krisflyer redemption for an AV+CM one-way. Both AV and CM charge the fuel fines , but my redemption ticket only has what appear to be genuine 'taxes'. I could not check the specific set of flights on either AV or CM's website, but the same itinerary on kayak and orbitz does show significant fuel fines.
Old Apr 24, 13, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by umc View Post
For example, if I want to book an award ticket using KrisFlyer miles for a United flight from SFO to SIN or to HKG, do I have to pay fuel surcharge?
SQ operates this exact route: SFO-HKG-SIN (SQ 1/2)

Why would you like to pay more miles than you need? SQ own redemption costs less than partner redemption.

Originally Posted by jagmeets View Post
I do recall having read somewhere (possibly on sqtalk), that no fuel surcharges were charged for UA redemption.
GB is correct. SQ charges YQ on all KF award redemption, regardless of airlines.

On the other hands, UA does not charge YQ on all M+ award redemption, including flights operated by SQ.

There is a reason why KF is named the worst *A program.
Old Apr 25, 13, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by garykung View Post

There is a reason why KF is named the worst *A program.
Tell that to the folks over at AC forum who think that Aeroplan is the worst.
Tell that to LH forum..,where LH also charges fuel surcharges on award bookings.

To each airlines' FFP, there are pros and cons. You just have to weigh all your options as to which programme suits you best.
Old Apr 25, 13, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
GB is correct. SQ charges YQ on all KF award redemption, regardless of airlines.
Well - I disagreed with GB @ my own peril - curiosity got the better of me and I just called to check for the fines on a redemption on UA for SFO-NRT. SGD370ish, they said.

I would however disagree with "SQ charges YQ on all KF award redemption, regardless of airlines."

2 Krisflyer bookings made, just last week:
1) LIM-LPB on TACA
2) LPB-xBOG-CCS on AV+CM

No fuel surcharge on either. On revenue bookings, for #1, TACA itself doesnt have a fuel surcharge on revenue bookings, while the exact itin for #2 does have fuel surcharges.

I only fly SQ on redemption bookings of late - and with the 15% discount, they're decent value at times (like o/n flights from India, when i need a bit of sleep, and scoot off to office direct after a shower upon arrival @SIN)
Old Apr 25, 13, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Tell that to the folks over at AC forum who think that Aeroplan is the worst.
Tell that to LH forum..,where LH also charges fuel surcharges on award bookings.

To each airlines' FFP, there are pros and cons. You just have to weigh all your options as to which programme suits you best.
My focus is not on YQ for award, but the entire program as general.

No fuel surcharge on either. On revenue bookings, for #1, TACA itself doesnt have a fuel surcharge on revenue bookings, while the exact itin for #2 does have fuel surcharges.
For #1, as you said so, no YQ for revenue, so why YQ for award?

For #2, since that involves 2 airlines, which makes me wonder - FD?
Old Apr 25, 13, 7:03 am

Yeah- was just highlighting that KF does not charge YQ for all award redemptions on all airlines..(well most, but not all).

Sorry not quite sure what FD is?
Old Apr 25, 13, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry not quite sure what FD is?
Fuel Dump - a tactic that intentionally dump the YQ from the ticket price.
Old May 1, 13, 8:18 pm

What do you guys gain by posting false info as if they're facts?
Has anyone of you actually got charged YQ by SQ for UA redemptions?
SQ does NOT charge YQ on awards flying UA or US metal, no matter whether its domestic or int'l.
That's my personal experience. Period.
Old May 2, 13, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
When SQ brought in their new reservation system last year , they started charging me fuel surcharges on UA award flights between Australia and USA.
Old May 3, 13, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by meshugener View Post
What do you guys gain by posting false info as if they're facts?
Has anyone of you actually got charged YQ by SQ for UA redemptions?
SQ does NOT charge YQ on awards flying UA or US metal, no matter whether its domestic or int'l.
That's my personal experience. Period.
While the 2 redemptions i quoted without the surcharge above were not on UA, i did do a 'dummy' booking with them on the phone for a UA redemption to check on the surcharge+tax amount, the figure that I quoted...

Perhaps your redemption was a while back, and things have changed, as suggested by flyGreg?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: