FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Cheapest way to fly on SQ EWR-SIN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1454591-cheapest-way-fly-sq-ewr-sin.html)

zainman Apr 2, 2013 12:43 am

Cheapest way to fly on SQ EWR-SIN?

What is the best (cheapest) way of flying on the world's longest flight with SQ, EWR to SIN... These flights will end in October this year I believe..

I am looking for Award travel probably. I am happy to do just one of the flights (preferably the EWR to SIN as it will be longer)

I am Qantas Platinum with plenty of miles but QF is of course OW. I have Virgin Australia miles but not too many of them (probably around 50,000)

Looking at SQ website the cheapest return fare I could find was around $8k USD which is simply unaffordable..

Any tips, suggestions? I could take advantage of the US airways dividend miles 50% bonus offer but the Award travel chart says that redemptions on SQ A340-500 aircraft are currently unavailable..

Do any other *A airlines have a cheap 'buy miles' options? Turkish or Aegan?

I really want to do this flight before it ends!

HELP :D

trooper Apr 2, 2013 4:01 am

Not aware of any redemptions available (other than with Krisflyer miles)..

..and since the sad and much regretted death of the ex-MNL SQ fare I know of no "cheap" way to get on that flight....

planetshakers Apr 2, 2013 6:38 pm

Cheapest way to fly on SQ EWR-SIN?

Do u have any SPG or AMEX points? They can be converted to KF miles directly for redemption.

armagebedar Apr 3, 2013 1:11 am

Consider starting in South Asia.

SMK77 Apr 3, 2013 2:12 am

850 USD all-in for the one-way.

trooper Apr 3, 2013 2:45 am

Ahhh.. I see I need to start digging again! Thanks!

zainman Apr 3, 2013 4:11 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 20527585)
850 USD all-in for the one-way.

what dates and where is this fare originating from?

Cheapest one way I found was from CMB to EWR for around USD$2800

zainman Apr 3, 2013 4:12 am

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 20525957)
Do u have any SPG or AMEX points? They can be converted to KF miles directly for redemption.

I have AMEX points here in Australia but the conversion ratio is really bad. 1 membership reward points gets me 0.5 kris flyer mile

belfordrocks Apr 3, 2013 4:35 am

Originally Posted by zainman (Post 20527843)
I have AMEX points here in Australia but the conversion ratio is really bad. 1 membership reward points gets me 0.5 kris flyer mile

I could have sworn they are 1:1

zainman Apr 3, 2013 4:37 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 20527903)
I could have sworn they are 1:1

I called the number on the back of my card and that's what I was told.. I confirmed "so you're telling me 30,000 points will turn into 15,000 Krisflyer miles?"

"yes Sir"....

PVDtoDEL Apr 3, 2013 5:20 am

Originally Posted by zainman (Post 20527842)

BLR, HYD are also in the same range.

demue Apr 3, 2013 5:29 am

Originally Posted by zainman (Post 20527842)
what dates and where is this fare originating from?

Don't fret. You won't find the fare. What I think SMK77 is hinting at is that there are ways to earn the required number of KF miles for redemption that is much cheaper than any fare out there. Think credit card, but those offers are very much location dependent.

SMK77 Apr 3, 2013 11:39 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 20528057)
Don't fret. You won't find the fare. What I think SMK77 is hinting at is that there are ways to earn the required number of KF miles for redemption that is much cheaper than any fare out there. Think credit card, but those offers are very much location dependent.

That's correct. Purchasing commercial fares is so 80s and usually a lot more expensive.

lokijuh Apr 3, 2013 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by zainman (Post 20527909)
I called the number on the back of my card and that's what I was told.. I confirmed "so you're telling me 30,000 points will turn into 15,000 Krisflyer miles?"

"yes Sir"....

Which Amex do you have? Most of the cards actually issued by Amex in Australia are 1:1. Cards issued by the banks may vary (eg Westpac Altitude transfer at 2:1 but earn at $1=2pts using Amex so is 1:1 for Amex spend).

Guy Betsy Apr 3, 2013 8:05 pm

I thiink the only other airline permissible to redeem these awards would be LH Miles and More..