FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Tissues vs Paper Towels in Economy Toilets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1440672-tissues-vs-paper-towels-economy-toilets.html)

maestro1981 Feb 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Tissues vs Paper Towels in Economy Toilets

Hi All,

Just want to see what others think of the tissues that replaced paper towels for drying your hands in economy class toilets.

For me, I don't know the real reason why they replaced the paper towels (I assume a financial reason).

However, I find that the tissues are a real pain-in-the-bum to dry your hands with and come across as really 'cheap'. They break apart, go all clumpy, stick to your hands and I have to use a huge amount of them to dry my hands (opposed to only one or two paper towels!)

Thoughts, experiences and opinions?

ycp81 Feb 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Simple reason - Cost cutting.

On the other hand, budget airline Jetstar still provides both paper towels and tissues in their lavatory, at least on their long-haul A330s.

LosPenguinosII Feb 20, 2013 7:49 pm

i heard from a cabin attendant that many passengers put the paper towel
into the toilet (rather than bin) which caused damage to the flushing.

wyvern Feb 22, 2013 8:23 am

Yet other airlines manage to still have both paper towels and tissues in the toilets...

miki13331 Feb 22, 2013 12:13 pm

SQ have been doing this for years. they do it in business class as well

lokijuh Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by miki13331 (Post 20298161)

Alas poor business class passengers just have put up with tissues ...... And cloth towels.

maestro1981 Feb 24, 2013 3:27 am

Originally Posted by miki13331 (Post 20298161)

Business Class has cloth towels to dry your hands.

enelym1978 Feb 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Not sure it's cost effective because everything you try to pull one or two out, quite often, a whole bunch come out of the dispenser...

demue Feb 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by LosPenguinosII (Post 20287374)
i heard from a cabin attendant that many passengers put the paper towel
into the toilet (rather than bin) which caused damage to the flushing.

You are right on that one. Sensible or not that is the main reason. Service interruptions and maintenance cost from clogged toilets supposedly was flagged as an issue and hence the decision to shift to the soft & fluffy and quite useless tissue paper was made. Understand that other airlines still manage with the paper towels, but SQ decided not to use them any longer.

weero Feb 28, 2013 2:43 am

I think that they are quite useless but also really cute to look at.

WLG Base Feb 28, 2013 3:29 am

Originally Posted by maestro1981 (Post 20306857)
Business Class has cloth towels to dry your hands.

No cloth towels in Business on SQ975 on Tuesday. First time I had seen this.

Shareholder Mar 1, 2013 12:50 am

For some reason, toilets in the new series 777s have been notorious for not being able to stand up to hard paper being flushed into them. All airlines have had to deal with this problem and moved to a Kleenex type tissue over the harder paper towels of previous times. AC went through major traumas trying to solve this when 777s entered its fleet.

lokijuh Mar 1, 2013 7:57 am

Tissues vs Paper Towels in Economy Toilets

Maybe I've been conditioned into using them as I thought it was a bit weird at first but now I actually prefer tissues to scratchy paper towels.