Return flight redemption on line

Old Dec 17, 12, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore, Qantas
Return flight redemption on line

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this topic covered elsewhere but I could not find.

I went on line to redeem a return flight to Europe, the intention being to fly in to one city and return home Sydney from another. I have purchased tickets online with Singapore in the past where this was possible so was surprised that this could not be done with redemptions.

The fact that this option was not available for redemptions was confirmed when i called the Krisflyer help desk. I was told that if I wanted to redeem online I would have to enter my flights as 2 separate transactions, or alternatively I could redeem over the phone.

I explained that I was not too keen on either as
1. I did not want to commit on a flight out on a set date when their was no guarantee of a return
2. Redeeming over the phone I would loose the benefit of the 15 % discount which I was relying on.

To his and to Singapore Airlines credit, the gentleman who took my call then offered to go away and come up with a solution that would not forego the 15 % discount. True to his word, he called back in 1/2 hour with an itinerary that with minor tweeking was perfectly acceptable.

I am pleased and extremely grateful for this assistance but was wondering whether SIA would be better off making this option available online so that members would not impose on their staff.
Old Dec 17, 12, 9:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime Globalist
What's the issue? You look up availability for both flights and book them as one-ways one by one. Chances that the seat is gone within the five minutes: zero.

I do it all the time and have no issues.

SQ's webpage is known for being the worst in the industry and that won't change in the foreseeable future.
Old Dec 17, 12, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore, Qantas
The issue is based on my past experience . The last time I attempted to redeem flights (J saver) online I would find the 4 flights required to get me from Sydney to Europe return and in the couple of minutes it then took to secure/ enter credit card details etc, the response came back that one leg was no longer available.

That is why I was reluctant this time to go out on a limb and book individual legs separately
Old Dec 18, 12, 12:42 am

Programs: Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Jaded11 View Post
The issue is based on my past experience . The last time I attempted to redeem flights (J saver) online I would find the 4 flights required to get me from Sydney to Europe return and in the couple of minutes it then took to secure/ enter credit card details etc, the response came back that one leg was no longer available.

That is why I was reluctant this time to go out on a limb and book individual legs separately
Extremely unusual. Plus: What's the downside? Cancelling a ticket on SQ is 15 USD... No need to pick up the phone and beg for a 15% online discount.
Old Dec 19, 12, 12:52 am

I do not see anything wrong with calling the airline in this case. Well done!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: