Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Did the EWR>SIN flight yesterday. Took the eastern route (which is definitely the longest commercial flight). Those who've gone over the Pacific have not been on the longest commercial flight.

Not a huge fan of the SQ J seats, but it was very convenient for getting to SE Asia.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by mikew99
At 17 hours, it was simply too long to be entombed in a plane.

I don't know how many more people feel as I do, but I'd pay a premium to avoid these flights!
I had a friend who made it from SFO-SYD with no leg longer than six hours:

*SFO-HNL (UA)
*HNL-NAN (FJ)
*NAN-SYD (JQ)

Coming back it was more of the same (although the Guam to Hawaii segment was around 7 hours):

*SYD-CNS (JQ)
*CNS-GUM (UA)
*GUM-HNL (UA)
*HNL-SFO (UA)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:59 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
why exactly are they not giving an exact date?

id love to get on the sin/ewr flight before its gone...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:38 am

I believe the last flight will be in Dec 2013? Since they mentioned 345s returning in 4th Q

So means still got a year
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:47 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by leogeo
I believe the last flight will be in Dec 2013? Since they mentioned 345s returning in 4th Q

So means still got a year

I have been told from someone who works in the indurstry that apparently it will be earlier than that. Somewhere in the 1 / 2 Q 2013

might be a lot of 'trashtalk' involved but might also be accurate if the aircraft has to be prepared for giving back?!

BTW, for anyone interested in getting an award with M&M: Just called today and there seems to be (close to) 0 availability until early 2013.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by mxr
I have been told from someone who works in the indurstry that apparently it will be earlier than that. Somewhere in the 1 / 2 Q 2013
No way. They wouldnt announce "by Q4 2013" and then pull it that much earlier. Q3 maybe, Q1 or Q2 not a chance. Too many bookings probably already made for first half of 2013.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:42 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by paullevi
No way. They wouldnt announce "by Q4 2013" and then pull it that much earlier. Q3 maybe, Q1 or Q2 not a chance. Too many bookings probably already made for first half of 2013.
It can't be that difficult to rebook (with the option of a refund ofc) onto the one stops to LAX or JFK if they do decide to pull the flight early, especially since there will be plenty of empty seats this far in advance.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bpe
It can't be that difficult to rebook (with the option of a refund ofc) onto the one stops to LAX or JFK if they do decide to pull the flight early, especially since there will be plenty of empty seats this far in advance.
What about award tickets where there is practically no availability?
On almost all dates I=0 according to an AC agent.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I thought those seats aren't available to other *A members (excl LH) in the first place?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:38 pm
bpe

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Even if there is no availability in specific fare classes, if there are any open seats on the flights, Singapore can open availability up and rebook them, or place them into a different fare bucket (for revenue tickets at least, and award tickets if they choose to). It happens all the time on other carriers when flight schedules change.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by bpe
Even if there is no availability in specific fare classes, if there are any open seats on the flights, Singapore can open availability up and rebook them, or place them into a different fare bucket (for revenue tickets at least, and award tickets if they choose to). It happens all the time on other carriers when flight schedules change.
Doubt SQ will bend over backwards for any UA or AC redemptions that were booked when the floodgates were open.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:58 pm

Do hope to see LAX/EWR/JFK-BKK-SIN or LAX/EWR/JFK-SGN-SIN when the ASEAN Open Skies kick in.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by currentjer
Do hope to see LAX/EWR/JFK-BKK-SIN or LAX/EWR/JFK-SGN-SIN when the ASEAN Open Skies kick in.
JFK-SGN is 8890 miles and JFK-BKK is 8677 miles according to great circle mapper.
No current SQ aircraft (other than A345s) can do those routes.
Can 787s do those routes?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Great Memories (or Dreams)

About six years ago I hit a particularly hectic stretch in my life where I was only getting four to five hours of sleep a night (and commuting weekly between Boston and Houston). People thought I was joking when I said that my longest uninterrupted sleep was on the EWR/SIN flights, but I was serious. Also, I was often able to shave a day off my trips. Very sorry to see it go. Let's hope it comes back! Now I have gone to the other extreme, making SN A+ Preferred on trips between MSY/HOU. Let's hope I get back on the long hauls!

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:19 pm
bpe

Originally Posted by paullevi
Doubt SQ will bend over backwards for any UA or AC redemptions that were booked when the floodgates were open.
True. But for the same reason, I doubt that SQ will keep the flight longer than necessary for the sake of UA or AC redemptions (and for their own redemptions or paid flights they can just switch passengers to other 1-stop flights)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.