Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Didn't EWR services used to be SIN-AMS-EWR? I wonder if they'll keep EWR via a transit point. I bet doing EWR via either PVG or PEK would have good potential if they could get rights.
Yes, it was SIN-AMS-EWR, and SIN-FRA-JFK. Then I think for a while they were alternating between ORD and EWR on different days of the week, but maybe I've gotten confused.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Threadbare
Yes, it was SIN-AMS-EWR, and SIN-FRA-JFK. Then I think for a while they were alternating between ORD and EWR on different days of the week, but maybe I've gotten confused.
Haven't heard of AMS-ORD, but I'm sure they used to fly AMS-YYZ back in the days of the BigTop.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:19 am

Anyone know why they're pulling the service? The revenue per flight was almost US$1M (100ish seats at US$8,000ish per seat), so I can't see it not making sense economically. I know someone who flies this 2-4 times a year and he says it's always packed.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
Anyone know why they're pulling the service? The revenue per flight was almost US$1M (100ish seats at US$8,000ish per seat), so I can't see it not making sense economically. I know someone who flies this 2-4 times a year and he says it's always packed.
According to today's electronic edition of Airline Business magazine, industry sources say SQ's nonstop services between the U.S. and Singapore continue to fall short of revenue expectations....

It also appears that Airbus has agreed to buy back the five A340-500s used for the nonstop flights. In addition, SQ announced plans to buy five additional A380s as well as 20 new A350-900s and also stated it will transfer its order for 20 B787-9s to its new low-cost subsidiary Scoot.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:42 am

Revenue is only half of the equation. The costs make these type of flights brutally expensive to operate.

Per mile fuel costs are much much higher for ultra long haul flights, but the premium that passengers are willing to pay for such a flight dont necessarily cover the higher operating costs.

EWR-SIN non-stop is only about 3-4 hrs faster than some of the one stop options on the same route (via NRT/HKG/Europe etc). How much of a premium are pax willing to pay to save 3-4 hrs?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
No way on earth (or in the air) they were selling each seat at $8k USD each. When I've taken it ex-SIN usually around $7-9K USD RETURN... so $4k USD per flight. On top of this, you have connecting flights from other ports in Asia, and some origins sell the service substantially lower than ex-SIN, and of course that revenue gets shared between this flight and the connecting flights.

And of then of course there were a few of us that only paid about $1k USD and got bonus flights thrown in between RGN and SIN return
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by FLLDL
Revenue is only half of the equation. The costs make these type of flights brutally expensive to operate.
Per mile fuel costs are much much higher for ultra long haul flights, but the premium that passengers are willing to pay for such a flight dont necessarily cover the higher operating costs.
EWR-SIN non-stop is only about 3-4 hrs faster than some of the one stop options on the same route (via NRT/HKG/Europe etc). How much of a premium are pax willing to pay to save 3-4 hrs?
Pardon my silly question - why could it not switch to a 777 - or is that too simple with ETOPS etc to consider but a 777 must be cheaper to operate?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA 1K, BA Silver, paltry DL, expiring points everywhere else
Would the 77L have worked out better economically? Why did SQ go for the 345 in the first place? AC ditched their 345s for 77L for their HKG routes, and I expected SQ to eventually do the same.
It is very sad indeed to lose these suoer covenient routes: to get off in New York after a single flight from SIN is a dream, and less tiring even if going elsewhere on the East coast. I do the EWR run several times a year and it is always full.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Madone59
Mine too, but with no award redemption it looks like this is one item that will stay in the bucket . If you make it on one of the last flights PLEASE do a trip report w/ photos for us.
So it's not possible to redeem KF miles for this flight? Or is it too costly?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by cuyp
Would the 77L have worked out better economically? Why did SQ go for the 345 in the first place? AC ditched their 345s for 77L for their HKG routes, and I expected SQ to eventually do the same.
It is very sad indeed to lose these suoer covenient routes: to get off in New York after a single flight from SIN is a dream, and less tiring even if going elsewhere on the East coast. I do the EWR run several times a year and it is always full.
Because the A345's capacity is still greater than if they were to operate a 77L. Also, SQ configured the A345 with a longer range than most carriers operating a 77L. During the last four years of SQ's A345 service, they were flying all Business Class cabins. Recent discussions were to bring back Executive Economy Class to one of the routes but SQ made the decision not to pursue that. Instead, they made a decision to retire these entire routes with the retirement/trade-in of the A345s.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Pardon my silly question - why could it not switch to a 777 - or is that too simple with ETOPS etc to consider but a 777 must be cheaper to operate?
A 777LR could make both the LAX and EWR flights, but SQ does not operate this aircraft. Would be more economical than the A345 but would still encounter similar challenges given the reailities of ultra lomg haul operations.

There are rumors that SQ got the A345s at minimal cost due to the aircrafts failure to meet performance targets, so SQ was willing to make a go of it until Airbus was able to swap them out for something better. This may have played a role in SQ not pursuing the 77L.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
So where are the SQ A345's headed? The desert? Is there a market for the trade ins to Airbus?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:30 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
It is unfortunate to learn that SQ will no longer be offering these routes. I still have fond memories of my LAX-SIN flight on the A340-500.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by IAD777
It is unfortunate to learn that SQ will no longer be offering these routes. I still have fond memories of my LAX-SIN flight on the A340-500.
I never flew the route but would have loved to fly these two routes - just because - the length and distance. Will now have to settle for the Quantas flights.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
So where are the SQ A345's headed? The desert? Is there a market for the trade ins to Airbus?
I don't know how much commonality there is between the A345 and other variants of the A330/340, but apart from that, I don't know of anyone who would even consider taking them on, even at a minimal costs. The normal ranged A340s weren't exactly hot sellers to start with, and doesn't quite measure up economically in most cases against its competitors. Imagine how fast an ultra longhaul version would burn a hole in the bottom line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.