FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   getting to Singapore business class with points during the Xmas New Year period (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1397818-getting-singapore-business-class-points-during-xmas-new-year-period.html)

lawrencew Oct 15, 2012 7:19 pm

getting to Singapore business class with points during the Xmas New Year period

I'm new to flyertalk forums so please redirect me to the right place if I'm in the wrong place. We have a lot of Amex points and some USAirways miles and we want to get three of us to Singapore, business class, around Dec 26 of this year returning January 6 of next. So far we're failing completely. We've tried with USAirways, Amex, and Singapore Airways (which seems to want 170k miles each). Is there a trick we're missing? By the way, if you have advice, please know that I'm a novice and I don't understand much of what I read on flyertalk (although it seems clear that lots of you know what you're talking about, whatever it is!).

lawrencew Oct 15, 2012 7:20 pm

I forgot to say where we are -- DC USA

We're in DC. Happy to start at Newark or Kennedy to make this work.

vbroucek Oct 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Personally, I think you do not have a chance for at least three reasons:
1) you are too close to the desired times
2) X-mas time is always difficult for redemption
3) to get two redemption seats in bussiness class on one flight is dificult, three seats are 1000 times more difficult...

planetshakers Oct 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by lawrencew (Post 19502316)
I'm new to flyertalk forums so please redirect me to the right place if I'm in the wrong place. We have a lot of Amex points and some USAirways miles and we want to get three of us to Singapore, business class, around Dec 26 of this year returning January 6 of next. So far we're failing completely. We've tried with USAirways, Amex, and Singapore Airways (which seems to want 170k miles each). Is there a trick we're missing? By the way, if you have advice, please know that I'm a novice and I don't understand much of what I read on flyertalk (although it seems clear that lots of you know what you're talking about, whatever it is!).

If you check for the SQ flights for Xmas time, even the revenue tickets are almost sold out, redemption for 3 is very near to impossible.

According to SQ chart, it is correct that 170k miles is needed for SAVER business class EWR-SIN ( which is 144.5 k miles after KF discount ). If you are able to get 2 seats, grab them and get another Y seat.

Higher chance if you go for JFK-FRA-SIN ( with the 11 hour layover!! ) for later dates. You will need lots of luck.

However, if you have a couple of million AMEX points to burn, you can get a FULL Business class EWR-SIN at 762K miles (647.7 k miles after discount) for each ticket and they have quite good availability ;)

Guy Betsy Oct 16, 2012 1:16 am

Originally Posted by lawrencew (Post 19502324)
We're in DC. Happy to start at Newark or Kennedy to make this work.

Welcome to Flyertalk and the SQ forum.

I think you chances are zero to be honest.

Using on US Airways miles will be very hard given the restrictions imposed on redeeming seats on SQ. You may try redeeming on other airlines but..the time you want to travel is also the peak travel period on any airline in revenue seats. You'd be lucky to even find a seat to buy!

As you are new to the frequent flyer world, take your time to read all forums. But if you're going to ask questions regarding your frequent flyer, ie why there are restrictions on using US Airways miles on SQ, please ask your questions over at the appropriate forum.

If you are using Krisflyer miles, then you may ask your questions here.

Note: using KF miles may give you a better chance in obtaining award seats, but without elite status on waitlisted flights, that's not much chances either. But at least it gives you a chance of being waitlisted.

Our advice? Buy your tickets for travel that time of the year!

PS - crossposting (which means posting on more than one forum with same post) is not allowed.

JohnSIN Oct 16, 2012 2:11 am

Welcome to Flyertalk and the SQ forum Lawrencew.

I manage 2 tickets in Biz every year during Christmas on SQ. It is very easy to do if you are a krisflyer member as you get access to the inventory when it is release. The trick is I book as soon as the seats are released, close to a year in advance. My experience is that so far, SQ has always released at least 2 seats to the destinations I fly to (SIN/EUROPE) a year in advance which I appreciate as other airline will not release any redemption during peak period (you can never secure an LH seat in business class on Friday evening out of Singapore).

So I think you are too late for this year but in good position if you have the miles for next year travel on SQ

vbroucek Oct 16, 2012 2:21 am

Deleted the post. Made mistake and was wrong!

Guy Betsy Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am

OP (original poster) has also posted on *A thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...l#post19502468

So I'm closing this one.

Thanks

Guy Betsy
Singapore Airlines Krisflyer forum co-mod