Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Boy, those SQ phone agents really struggle!

Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I thought the UA offshore agents were tough. But they are the Ritz compared to the agents SQ contracts.

I wanted a B fare NRT-LAX. Can't get in online, as the SQ site only shows that lowest fare available.

It took FOREVER for the agent to give me the Y fare from SIN to SFO. Then another long while for him to give me the E fare ICN-SFO.

Finally, after 45 minutes, we got the Y fare NRT-LAX. Another 10 minutes for the B fare.

Getting him to understand the spelling of my name was next to impossible. I would begin to spell (using the phonetic alphabet table). Every every two letters, he would say "yes?" While he talked, he couldn't hear, and he got it wrong five times.

I finally had to literally say, "Stop talking until I finish spelling!"

Over an hour later, I have my ticket!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:12 am

Consider yourself extremely lucky. It took me 20 or so minutes just to get a seat assignment.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
if you have problems try calling an SQ office in another country that is native english speaking - like the UK or Australia. I have never had any problems with something like a seat assignment - takes all of about 1 minute.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by zrs70
I thought the UA offshore agents were tough. But they are the Ritz compared to the agents SQ contracts..
Buy a Singlish book, drop semantics and grammar, and you should be fine.

But seriously what the purpose of that exercise ... are you at war with your TA?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:42 pm

well maybe the solution is that singapore should drop english altogether and if you wanna call you have to speak the local lingo .... which is spore is likelly to be teowchew or fujianese ...
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by bearbrick
well maybe the solution is that singapore should drop english altogether and if you wanna call you have to speak the local lingo .... which is spore is likelly to be teowchew or fujianese ...
Irrelevant.

SQ call centre is located in India.

If you want to talk to the Singapore call centre, you have to press Mandarin and follow the prompts. Can't tell you what it is.. but there, all the agents understand English and are so much nicer to deal with than the Indian Call Centre.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by weero
Buy a Singlish book, drop semantics and grammar, and you should be fine.
Wouldnt help much. Knowledge of Indian English is more helpful.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Thanks I will try this next time.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Irrelevant.

If you want to talk to the Singapore call centre, you have to press Mandarin and follow the prompts. Can't tell you what it is.. but there, all the agents understand English and are so much nicer to deal with than the Indian Call Centre.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Irrelevant.

very relevant when taken in context of the OPs post ..if i am not mistaken he is saying that they cannot comprehend the english spoken.
Irregardless of where the english is spoken india or singapore or australia (even) he would be hardpressed for them to understand him as it is not their "native" english as it were...

my point was that english ought to be dropped altogether ( even as a so called international language of "business") which means OP would then need to find some other way to communicate or dont fly SQ or other airlines that outsource their call centre functions

dont take it for granted that those non native speakers of english have to speak the Queens' english ...or in his case american english. or have to understand the american drawl .
It may be frustrating but there is a reason that it is outsourced ...

the english speaking world expects non english speaking countries to speak english ...and understand perfectly....to the extent of not making concessions .

heck , i sometimes struggle to understand the deep australian and american accents but with patience it usually works out ..i dont go posting in flyertalk and ranting !

sick of the underlying innuendo in the OP post

i urge OP to learn another language or travel to foreign lands more.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:46 am

very relevant when taken in context of the OPs post ..if i am not mistaken he is saying that they cannot comprehend the english spoken.
Irregardless of where the english is spoken india or singapore or australia (even) he would be hardpressed for them to understand him as it is not their "native" english as it were...

my point was that english ought to be dropped altogether ( even as a so called international language of "business") which means OP would then need to find some other way to communicate or dont fly SQ or other airlines that outsource their call centre functions

dont take it for granted that those non native speakers of english have to speak the Queens' english ...or in his case american english. or have to understand the american drawl .
It may be frustrating but there is a reason that it is outsourced ...

the english speaking world expects non english speaking countries to speak english ...and understand perfectly....to the extent of not making concessions .

heck , i sometimes struggle to understand the deep australian and american accents but with patience it usually works out ..i dont go posting in flyertalk and ranting !

sick of the underlying innuendo in the OP post

i urge OP to learn another language or travel to foreign lands more.
You can expect an airline like SQ to provide services matching their ambitions of being one of the best airlines in the world. Its their choice to outsource certain services to India, but then it should be equal to what it has been before. That is definetly not the case anymore. If you were calling SQ in Singapore in the past, you got at least someone on the line who was knowing what he/she is taking about. Seat arrangements or check-in wasnt a problem at all and was done in no time. Now you need passions.

I made quite a similar experience as the OP. Its a mixture of non native english speaker which tries to communicate with a non-native english speaker in a call centre via a bad quality telephone line (SQ is obviously using one of the cheap VoIP-Lines).
I know a few languages but it doesnt help me really.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..my point was that english ought to be dropped altogether ( even as a so called international language of "business") which means OP would then need to find some other way to communicate or dont fly SQ or other airlines that outsource their call centre functions..
Denial as a solution? Sounds like something SQ or UA or one of these carriers with cheap call centers could actually come up with ...
It may be frustrating but there is a reason that it is outsourced ..
The reason is evident. But for SQ not-outsourcing would not even address those issues. That makes this thread so hilarious.

As for the rest ... you sound entirely oblivious to the whole situation: any Australian or American would understand you if you talked insular English ... and you'd understand them. This presumption doesn't hold with many of the call centers.
I have however not had language problems with SQ agents, I must admit - it always seemed to be the system or an unwilling sup rather than the language barrier.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Next time, call one of the US ticket offices directly.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by weero
Denial as a solution? Sounds like something SQ or UA or one of these carriers with cheap call centers could actually come up with

The reason is evident. But for SQ not-outsourcing would not even address those issues. That makes this thread so hilarious.

As for the rest ... you sound entirely oblivious to the whole situation: any Australian or American would understand you if you talked insular English ... and you'd understand them. This presumption doesn't hold with many of the call centers.
I have however not had language problems with SQ agents, I must admit - it always seemed to be the system or an unwilling sup rather than the language barrier.
well if you dont wanna talk to "cheap call centres" then consider buying full fare F online.

i am only oblivious to one thing ... insular english ? whats that ?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
Where did you get this information from? I find it highly offensive.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:17 am

If you call SQ's toll free U.S. number, it goes to the call center in India. From my personal experience, one will get a local SQ agent, instead of at an outsourced center if one is a krisflyer member and enters her/his krisflyer number.

Again, from personal experience, talking to agents in India, were, at times, very challenging (when BTC and at the same time, getting a seat assignment changed amongst other things). It's as though they did not fully understand English. Some were downright rude. That's when I would ask to speak to a supervisor. I've been made to wait up to 20 mins for one. But hey, I am a very patient person. I will make it a point to wait for a supervisor, to put forth my point, if I feel I've been treated rudely. No reason for bad manners.

I've never had problems with understanding the english of local agents (singapore call center), and vice versa. The problems I ran into were largely agents being "obtuse", rude or just plain unhelpful. Some of their spoken english may be accented, but I find them to be perfectly understandable and competent. I am pretty certain that Singapore's local lingo is neither teochew of fukienese (however it's spelt).
Singaporeans, or at least the ones I know or the ones I've come into contact with, feel very comfortable speaking singlish to one another. They are too, perfectly capable and competent with "proper", understandable english, albeit accented. Then again, there's nothing wrong with accented english, other than the popular (in my opinion) American or British accented ones.

Some of the outsourced call centers when calling US carriers or some other matters, I have to admit that it's like pulling teeth! May as well tranquilize me! UA has call centers in India and the Philippines (when I called). India call centers agents - same problem with english, like SQ's agents (some). Philippines call center - nerve-wrecking rudeness! (just my personal experience).

When it's outsourced, i.e. India, it's not just SQ agents struggling. It's the "struggle" of any airline /business agents (my personal observation and interaction). And please pardon my grammatical errors. Just got off a long-haul flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.