Search

SQ medium/longhaul service comparison

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON Circle
SQ medium/longhaul service comparison

Dear all

I had an award on hold incl. Europe-SIN on SQ in new C on 77W, using US miles, for 2 pax. Even though they told me the reservation is guaranteed 72h, my SQ segment disappeard after ~24h. I've been stupid enough not to confirm my reservation immediately .

Now I have the option to do zrh-dxb-sin for example. Or a couple of other middle east destination to connect to SQ to SIN.

I am concerned about the wine/champagne list and service in general. I only flew SQ short and longhaul and always in C or F (or R).

Does SQ serve Bollinger champagne on medium haul flights such as dxb-sin (A330)? Or PVG-SIN? I know the seat is not the same as the one I am used to on 77W/A380, but in terms of food/drinks, can I expect the same high standard level I know from longhaul service? Or will the wines be cheaper etc?

I can also swap to my home carrier LX for the longhaul to Asia but I'd love to go with SQ somehow! But this trip is with miles and I cannot take the 77W/A380 as it looks right now for my dates. The only options I'm given are connecting flights in middle east, or PVG/ICN/BKK to SIN.

Appreciate your expert's advise!! Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Curious about this as well. A schedule change on a J award ticket has added a CAN-SIN redeye segment on SQ to my itinerary. Is it worth staying awake for the service?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Dear all

I had an award on hold incl. Europe-SIN on SQ in new C on 77W, using US miles, for 2 pax. Even though they told me the reservation is guaranteed 72h, my SQ segment disappeard after ~24h. I've been stupid enough not to confirm my reservation immediately .
Its not your fault. SQ wouldn't ticket the segment no matter how much you followed up on it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, LH SEN, CZ G, QR G, CX G, BA EC, HH D, MR S, SPG G, IC A
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
[...]

Now I have the option to do zrh-dxb-sin for example. Or a couple of other middle east destination to connect to SQ to SIN.

I am concerned about the wine/champagne list and service in general. I only flew SQ short and longhaul and always in C or F (or R).

Does SQ serve Bollinger champagne on medium haul flights such as dxb-sin (A330)? Or PVG-SIN? I know the seat is not the same as the one I am used to on 77W/A380, but in terms of food/drinks, can I expect the same high standard level I know from longhaul service? Or will the wines be cheaper etc?

[...]
Wine/champagne list and service is the same. Meal service depends on the flight, but for flights to CAI it is full service. In J on all routes, SQ has mostly replace Bollinger with Henriot Brut Souverain. Bollinger surfaces now and again, but it is off the menu.
The seat is either the original SpaceBed or the new regional C. Not as nice as the 77W/388, but I get decent sleep.

On a side note, if you are fine with the SpaceBed, why not route through CPH?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
f4freeJunior, it sounded like you are unaware that for PVG-SIN, SQ 831 and SQ 833 are serviced by 77W and therefore the longhaul J class seat you want. (the other three daily flights serviced by 772 with the new regional J class seat)

As for Bollinger, I have not seen it on any J sectors for last 6 months, just the Henriot. Recently, FAs also have said the same. I know many are fixed on Bollinger, but if you haven't tried the Henriot, give it a chance. Personally, I loved Henriot even before SQ started serving it. I think it is a much more subtle, elegant and complex Champagne than Bollinger, exhibiting rounder and subtler expressions of terroir, than the Bollinger, which I have found to be more one note and violent due to its higher tartness and acidity. But hey, I recognize we all have different preferences for different reasons.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.168 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/130)

Because unfortunately CPH was not available to book with miles anymore. Maybe they release more award seats closer to departure? I'm leaving in ~13-15 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.