Search

Is it worth to try the BOOK THE COOK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:08 am

How is the Keiseiki nowadays?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Now that that's figured out...

Cheers for the quick replies guys! I thought I was subscribed to the thread so assumed the worst

As for BTC itself, which would you recommend ex-JFK: pan-fried chicken, pan-fried beef, rack of lamb, braised short ribs or stir fried chicken

Thanks again
Zoui21
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Obviously ex-SIN, order the Singaporean dishes. The steak isn't very good ex-SIN, FYI.
Here I disagree. Unless you are a complete stranger to SIN and want to sample the local fare I find it odd ordering something in business class that you can get at a local food centre or kopitiam for $4 or $5. I often get the steak (alternating with the lamb) and found it quite good, in fact (the quality of meats) seems to have improved compared to say 2-3 years ago.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
How is the Keiseiki nowadays?
I had the BTC Kaiseki last month and I really enjoyed it. If you are not into Japanese food, or if the limit of your experience with Japanese food is teriyaki, then you may be setting yourself up for failure, but otherwise, it was quite enjoyable. It didn't beat the delicious Kaiseki menu I had last month on ANA F, but then again one wouldn't expect SIN Japanese catering to beat the Japanese meals catered out of NRT.

Also, I had this on a SIN-BCN flight and requested it as the replacement for the breakfast meal (instead of the supper meal). The standard breakfast offerings, even in F, seem so boring and I was extra happy to have BTC'd the Kaiseki instead for that meal.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by SQShortFinal
I had the BTC Kaiseki last month and I really enjoyed it. If you are not into Japanese food, or if the limit of your experience with Japanese food is teriyaki, then you may be setting yourself up for failure, but otherwise, it was quite enjoyable. It didn't beat the delicious Kaiseki menu I had last month on ANA F, but then again one wouldn't expect SIN Japanese catering to beat the Japanese meals catered out of NRT.

Also, I had this on a SIN-BCN flight and requested it as the replacement for the breakfast meal (instead of the supper meal). The standard breakfast offerings, even in F, seem so boring and I was extra happy to have BTC'd the Kaiseki instead for that meal.
Thanks... I took very much like the Kaiseki offerings in ANA F. I took your idea and ordered the kaiseki for breakfast - sounds like a great idea.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Thanks... I took very much like the Kaiseki offerings in ANA F. I took your idea and ordered the kaiseki for breakfast - sounds like a great idea.
fly2nrt -- enjoy the Kaiseki! I'm sure the LSS will double check with you regarding your BTC request at the beginning of the flight, as they usually do. But if not, remind them you want it for breakfast. My LSS triple checked with me, giving me the sense requests for BTC kaiseki for breakfast is uncommon.

On the topic of ANA F -- I also really enjoyed the ANA F "Suites Lounge" in NRT. It may be the best lounge I've experienced -- and far better than SQ F or TPR in SIN, IMHO.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by daniellam
When I flew SQ 15 SIN-ICN-SFO, I ordered BTC. On the SIN-ICN, I found something better on the regular menu and had that instead.
Do you have the SQ15 menus that you can share here? Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: many
I did a BTC on a short haul SIN-DPS about a year ago and my dish was "okay" but I would have rather had something else. I didnt not say anything to the cabin crew.

Suffice to say, from what I'm reading, for my SFO-HKG flight, its okay to do the BTC and if its not to your liking or you need something more, (asking polite and nicely) if shouldnt be much of a trouble to get something from the menu?

Not many other in F on my flight, just the two of us so far. And the return has just four of us in F.

I'd like to try the BTC again with a different choice but if needed, would enjoy the option of the menu as well. Sound okay?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I think it is not worth booking the cook, I ordered 2 items and was disappointed on both counts, the lobster and the steak.
I think SQ's inflight fare seems to be very good and there are choices, so give that a try instead.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I think it is not worth booking the cook, I ordered 2 items and was disappointed on both counts, the lobster and the steak.
I think SQ's inflight fare seems to be very good and there are choices, so give that a try instead.
In my experience and I think other posters too, I'd say that the lobster and the steak are the worst things to BTC. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but disappointing on average.

I'd suggest giving other dishes a try. Also, I just noticed, it looks like they just updated the J options out of SIN.

In J, I've really enjoyed the chilean seabass (it used to be with a ratatouille, I believe, but now there are multiple chilean seabass dishes), the roasted veg salad for something light, the lamb, and they used to have a good shrimp and scallop option with a good serving of both shrimp and scallops.

I think whether to BTC also depends on what sectors you are flying. For example, BTC is a great option for SIN-CGK. I fly that sector a lot and the meal served is very repetitive and usually something quite pedestrian in my view, such as noodles with beef or chicken and rice in a spicy Asian sauce. BTC offers better options, variety and value for your J fare.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal
In my experience and I think other posters too, I'd say that the lobster and the steak are the worst things to BTC...
I still like them best of all.

But then I am a food barbarian and do not eat the vegetarian stuff, so I have a limited scope of comparison.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Obviously ex-SIN, order the Singaporean dishes. The steak isn't very good ex-SIN, FYI.
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Here I disagree. Unless you are a complete stranger to SIN and want to sample the local fare I find it odd ordering something in business class that you can get at a local food centre or kopitiam for $4 or $5.
Actually, it depends where one eats these local food center / kopitiam stuff. In a fancier restaurant, a plate of chicken rice would set one back by almost SGD30 even though they do not taste in anyway better than those from the food center.

Personally, I agree with Guy Betsy. I always enjoy eating chicken rice when fly ex SIN. I find the presentation to be nice (comparable to Singapore's Chatterbox) and love that chicken rice / chilli aroma 35000 miles up in the air. I find it more exotic than the usual westen food where I could get in Europe.

But again, I could unfortunately only savour chicken rice maybe 5 to 10 times each year, so this could be more or less a cold turkey threatment for me.

Last edited by anaidross; Aug 12, 2012 at 2:07 am
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:09 pm

Is BTC available from IAH? Looking on SQ.com, it did not look like it was an option. So I assume it won't be available from DME as well. (flying IAH-DME-SIN).
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Is BTC available from IAH? Looking on SQ.com, it did not look like it was an option. So I assume it won't be available from DME as well. (flying IAH-DME-SIN).
Not from IAH nor DME unfortunately. You could make an order ex-SIN for this route (assuming of course that you will be flying back to IAH with SQ).
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by anaidross
Not from IAH nor DME unfortunately. You could make an order ex-SIN for this route (assuming of course that you will be flying back to IAH with SQ).
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. On the return its SIN-HKG-SFO, so I think I'll take advantage of it on the return. That is if sq.com EVER let me bring up my reservation! can only see it on mobile.com

What is my BTC option if I can't access my res. on sq.com?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.