Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Does anyone have a user guide for Krisflyer? I found some really basic ones which didn't help a lot, and kind of advanced user guides were only available via meetups on Milelion. I don't have a ton of miles, but I do have 1 redemption in mind. It seems to me that South America can be a sweet spot since it's all grouped as one. Specifically, South America to South Africa is pretty damned cheap. But what I don't know is the routing rules. I'm trying to redeem for a Colombian citizen and that passport carries with it some problematic visa requirements. Such as, not transiting Canada or the US...so I'm trying to find availability from Colombia-Brazil-South Africa or Colombia-Turkey/Europe/South Africa. But, I also don't wanna be wasting my time if the routing doesn't allow for it.

I know you can't backtrack, but I'm not sure exactly HOW stringent that is. Also, I've read there's $100 stopovers on one-way awards, but that it's not super easy to do. That's ok, but I also wasn't totally sure if that was ONLY on all SQ awards, all the examples I saw were SQ routes.

Sorry, this is lots of questions in one, which is exactly why I'm looking for a bit of an advance or medium level user guide. I've redeemed with SQ before, but it was very basic available online stuff.
you only need this chart https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p..._RoundTrip.pdf
and also to know what *A airlines land in JNB - start from the JNB wiki page.

you wont be flying any SQ metal in the routes you described.
it will be all partners
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
you only need this chart https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p..._RoundTrip.pdf
and also to know what *A airlines land in JNB - start from the JNB wiki page.

you wont be flying any SQ metal in the routes you described.
it will be all partners
Yea, no, I got that thanks. I was looking for some reading in terms of the routing rules and stopover stuff.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:08 am

Yea, no, I got that thanks. I was looking for some reading in terms of the routing rules and stopover stuff.
no stopover for star alliance awards.
Routing wise, check from google flight (under star alliance) show flight from Colombia to Brazil to JNB available. But problem is that can’t get any results in SQ app. So best is to call SQ n ask them to see can find or not

Last edited by sbs2716g; Jul 3, 2019 at 7:21 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sualg
Hi all,

‘’first time with SQ flying PER - SIN - LHR with a 21 hour layover in SIN. All in J. Which lounge will I have access to at SIN. I have no SQ status? Any tips for a first timer?
As advised above you will have access to the Silverkris J lounges. They are OK but not worth spending 21 hours in, there is no where to sleep except some couches down the back and the staff will give you a pillow and balnket if you ask (here isn't anywhere better to sleep in the F lounge or TPR either).

Definitely book a hotel room either in the city or at Changi. We have used both the Crowne Plaza at Changi and the city option (Marina Bay Sands, Conrad, Pan Pacific and Marina Mandarin) for our transits from PER, we haven't used the airside hotels yet but they look a decent option.

It is a quick relatively trip into the city so I would do that with such a long layover.
shuuy likes this.

Last edited by SponsorSFC; Jul 3, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

no stopover for star alliance awards.

Routing wise, check from google flight (under star alliance) show flight from Colombia to Brazil to JNB available. But problem is that can’t get any results in SQ app. So best is to call SQ n ask them to see can find or not
So that was something I definitely wanted to find out, I can't seem to find anywhere that says explicitly no stopovers on alliance awards. But most guides list on SQ cities as stopovers in their examples so it does kind of explain it.

As far as the second part, maybe you've already answered my follow up question...I've found availability on EF for JNB-FRA and FRA-BOG. I can find FRA-BOG on the SQ site, but when I search JNB-FRA it says it's illegal due to backtracking. Is the IT just so bad that it defaults to searching for only SQ flights which WOULD be available if it wasn't backtracking JNB-SIN-FRA? But the IT again is so bad, that I can't search ONLY star alliance until it generates a variety of options that are legal? So it's just a catch 22 of can't filter the options because they're illegal but I can't filter get past the illegal options because I can't filter out the SQ default search? I had no problem booking a really simple flight before with SQ miles, but I'm trying to better use them this time.

FWIW the ideal itinerary would be MDE/BOG-CAI-JNB-BOG/MDE. South Africa from South America has really attractive rates with SQ, but I'm trying to get 2 cities in, without paying for the flight between CAI-JNB, because it's expensive in cash, and it seems like a bit of a waste of miles to redeem separately for that. The other issue is the traveller is visa-less on a Colombian passport, so transiting the US/Canada is either impossible, or at best costly and unlikely. Transiting Europe on the other hand, or other points in South America is easy (I've looked for GRU-JNB and the availability is pretty paltry) trying to book in Y as well if it matters.

I can piece together an itinerary that's like BOG-MEX-IST-CAI, but I have no idea if SQ considers that back tracking or not. Of course I can phone them, but without being armed with the rules/tricks/tips a bit more I'm confident they'll immediately shoot down anything I say and I'll just believe it. I've had that happen before when the agent told me "no availability" then I fed her flights one by one and suddenly there was availability.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:18 am

So that was something I definitely wanted to find out, I can't seem to find anywhere that says explicitly no stopovers on alliance awards. But most guides list on SQ cities as stopovers in their examples so it does kind of explain it.

As far as the second part, maybe you've already answered my follow up question...I've found availability on EF for JNB-FRA and FRA-BOG. I can find FRA-BOG on the SQ site, but when I search JNB-FRA it says it's illegal due to backtracking. Is the IT just so bad that it defaults to searching for only SQ flights which WOULD be available if it wasn't backtracking JNB-SIN-FRA? But the IT again is so bad, that I can't search ONLY star alliance until it generates a variety of options that are legal? So it's just a catch 22 of can't filter the options because they're illegal but I can't filter get past the illegal options because I can't filter out the SQ default search? I had no problem booking a really simple flight before with SQ miles, but I'm trying to better use them this time.

FWIW the ideal itinerary would be MDE/BOG-CAI-JNB-BOG/MDE. South Africa from South America has really attractive rates with SQ, but I'm trying to get 2 cities in, without paying for the flight between CAI-JNB, because it's expensive in cash, and it seems like a bit of a waste of miles to redeem separately for that. The other issue is the traveller is visa-less on a Colombian passport, so transiting the US/Canada is either impossible, or at best costly and unlikely. Transiting Europe on the other hand, or other points in South America is easy (I've looked for GRU-JNB and the availability is pretty paltry) trying to book in Y as well if it matters.

I can piece together an itinerary that's like BOG-MEX-IST-CAI, but I have no idea if SQ considers that back tracking or not. Of course I can phone them, but without being armed with the rules/tricks/tips a bit more I'm confident they'll immediately shoot down anything I say and I'll just believe it. I've had that happen before when the agent told me "no availability" then I fed her flights one by one and suddenly there was availability.
i suggest you read the T&C here
<Section J: Star Alliance Awards and Star Alliance Upgrade Awards>

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/p...6-f2febec2faf2

the SQ website is known to be wonky, more so for partner award availability. it's better to call in.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
i suggest you read the T&C here
<Section J: Star Alliance Awards and Star Alliance Upgrade Awards>

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/p...6-f2febec2faf2

the SQ website is known to be wonky, more so for partner award availability. it's better to call in.
So while reading the T&C I found that stopovers are permitted on Star awards. So that's good news.

I hate calling in, that's just a millennial thing, but if I get what I want I'm happy to do it. My fear and my experience in the past has been calling just seems to be them going on the website and searching MDE-CPT and saying "oh, sorry no availability". So I'd love to have SOME kind of ammo. It would be nice to know that with a little research and EF results, that the SQ agents would see those flights, but there seems to be no reliable source for inventory when it comes to SQ. Meanwhile both UA/EF results are replicated when I call Aeroplan, literally every single time.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
So while reading the T&C I found that stopovers are permitted on Star awards. So that's good news.
I believe they are allowed on return tickets, definitely not on one ways.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:56 am

I scrolled back a couple pages but can’t find any information on book Virgin Atlantic flights via Krisflyer. I see an award chart on Singapore but a quick internet search shows me it has been near impossible to book as Krisflyer Agents claim to not see the VS Award Space (even if I see on VS or DL or EF websites)...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL
I scrolled back a couple pages but can’t find any information on book Virgin Atlantic flights via Krisflyer. I see an award chart on Singapore but a quick internet search shows me it has been near impossible to book as Krisflyer Agents claim to not see the VS Award Space (even if I see on VS or DL or EF websites)...
...Just following up my own query...I tried multiple times with Krisflyer (HUCA) and finally found an agent that saw Premium Economy space (But could not see the Economy or Upper Class space i was seeing on EF or DL or VS websites...)....waiting for them to call me back with a quote...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:10 am

Just booked another trip to Africa, so now I'm trying to find Y space from MDE-NBO...again, absolutely nothing, in either direction, for days like 4-5 months out. Search on Aeroplan, no problem. Short haul copa, long haul Lufthy long haul AV...I mean com on, this is just getting ridiculous. I'm glad I don't have a ton invested in this program. I was quite happy to be a member for a few years, but this total inability to redeem is driving me nuts.

I need a ticket return from Europe to YVR in Mar 2020...searched multiple cities, always using flexible dates...nothing in either direction. Just a joke. It's to the point where I'd say the website is glitching out. But then I call and the results are the same.

Last edited by drvannostren; Jul 15, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:55 am

Alright, update, trying to micro-serach my way through this. Trying not to sound like a cry baby.

Let me ask you guys this. To the power users of Krisflyer...is it just isolated airlines that seemingly have no availability? I've found some flights IST-BOG and FRA-BOG, I've found LH availability pretty well matches up with what I find on EF, same with TK availability.

However, nothing that I find with Avianca or Air Canada is duplicated on the Krisflyer search. So I'm wondering if that's normal, or if there's just a handful of airlines that are impossible to redeem on.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
However, nothing that I find with Avianca or Air Canada is duplicated on the Krisflyer search. So I'm wondering if that's normal, or if there's just a handful of airlines that are impossible to redeem on.
Hm...you're approaching it with the wrong frame of mind. AV LM and AC Aeroplan have reasonably good *A availability. KF has reasonably poor *A availability because years of sour relations with partners in terms of award availability reciprocity. They have diverged to the point that AV LM and AC Aeroplan should never be used as benchmarks for KF because there is simply no basis of comparison.

KF has what KF has, and you need to phone in to check what they really have, period.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone tried a RTW miles redemption recently? What rate(s) do they charge on mixed cabins?

Sitting on ... several hundred thousand miles/points that I need to burn-off soon-ish.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Has anyone tried a RTW miles redemption recently? What rate(s) do they charge on mixed cabins?

Sitting on ... several hundred thousand miles/points that I need to burn-off soon-ish.
Based on rules from all other programs I participate in, they'll definitely charge you the highest cost. The only program I know much about that doesn't do this is Lifemiles. They charge per segment, so you can save miles by taking long haul business then short haul econ especially when it's pointless like euro-biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.