Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:03 am

Is SQ F worth it over SQ J for a person who primarily flies Y in the US? I'm wondering if splurging for F on SIN-SYD//AKL-SIN is a worthy upgrade over J for someone who used to traveling in cattle-class. I flew J once on SQ22 and thought the service was outstanding.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by rotatev2
Is SQ F worth it over SQ J for a person who primarily flies Y in the US? I'm wondering if splurging for F on SIN-SYD//AKL-SIN is a worthy upgrade over J for someone who used to traveling in cattle-class. I flew J once on SQ22 and thought the service was outstanding.
This is pure personal preference. Some people will say if you normally do Y, J or F is going to be insane to you anyway and maybe you won't notice the minor things or appreciate them because you just don't know better.

So in that case maybe only judge by the tangible differences, ex. champagne selection, food selection, people/bathroom ratio, seat size? Private room etc. Those are the only things you can peg your own personal value on. Maybe it's a special occasion?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I usually redeem F on SQ. The F product for SIN-SYD is supposed to be great. Unfortunately I am flying in J for SIN-SYD and only have experience with the older suites product. If it was me and you can find availability I would consider flying the new F product on the SIN-SYD route. You get more time with AKL-SIN but its the older product. I have done shorter inter regional flights on SQ in J, but have never flown J with them on an ultra longhaul the same way I have done in F. On an upcoming trip I am doing EWR-SIN-SYD all in J and then SIN-FRA-JFK coming back in suites, so give me a month and I am sure I will know all I need to know about long haul J flights with SQ. The bottom line is it depends on the person but I always found F to be worth the extra points IF you can find availability AND you don't mind spending the extra miles. From reading the reviews I get that sense that some other airlines have a better hard product when it comes to J flights, but its hard to imagine that it would not be a massive step up from what you get in the US which is usually crap.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
It will be hard for you to find someone on FT who will say no to that.

If your question is “Is it worth the additional points over J”? Absolutely. No doubt about it.

More so with the old or the new suites vs. plain old SQ first class.

Is it worth it for you - TPR, champagne, caviar, even better service etc. etc. does that appeal to you over the extra points you’re spending? Would you prefer to save the extra points for another trip? Is this trip special enough for the splurge?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
If you have an award booking one way with two separate flights (in this case EWR-SIN & SIN-SYD) in J is it possible to to upgrade the second segment of SIN-SYD to Suites or would that require booking the entire SIN-SYD at the full suites price vs the reduced price you get when booking a second segment as part of the same award?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
If you have an award booking one way with two separate flights (in this case EWR-SIN & SIN-SYD) in J is it possible to to upgrade the second segment of SIN-SYD to Suites or would that require booking the entire SIN-SYD at the full suites price vs the reduced price you get when booking a second segment as part of the same award?
Full suites price.

You would want to split into 2 separate reservations to do this.Otherwise you will be charged suite price for EWR-SYD.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Suites (whether old or new) vs J ... Completely worthy upgrade. The extra amount of space, privacy, etc is a huge step up over any airline's J (and many airlines' F products).
"Normal" F vs J ... a little less clear-cut, IMO. The F seat isn't all that different from J, so the upgrades are more along the lines of better food & booze options, pajamas and amenity kits, and somewhat more personalized service. Whether these items are worthy or not really depends on your mileage earn rates and travel patterns.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I have not been on SQ in a million years, but I have an award in Y for myself and little_1780 in a few weeks (its part of a greater UA itinerary/award). So some general questions:

How early can I check in with SQ at HKG & SIN?

While I was able to select seats in Y, does SQ offer any better seating at check in for a UA 1K? not necessarily looking for free, but I would take it. But any prospect of a cash upgrade to any better seating (premium Y, Business or F)?

Each of the 2 legs are only 4ish hours, so its not critical either way.

Any other thoughts or advice?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Not sure about HK, But SQ at SIN allows 48hour early check-in (24hour baggage drop / airside access)
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:32 pm

Check in info here. https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/i...unter-checkin/

You would be allowed a few extra hours to do a city check-in in HKG. Not sure how early that opens though

While I was able to select seats in Y, does SQ offer any better seating at check in for a UA 1K? not necessarily looking for free, but I would take it. But any prospect of a cash upgrade to any better seating (premium Y, Business or F)?
SQ only offers seating benefits to their own elite. But paid seats are always available. Seats open up for everyone at T-48. You should try and snag your preferred seats then. By virtue of traveling with a child you get some (not a lot) advantage in selecting seats early - which you probably have done already.

Bid upgrades are occasionally available. Details here - https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...g/mysqupgrade/

Note that SQ doesn't try to sell every PE/J/F seat through cash or point upgrades. So you might not even get the opportunity even if the J cabin is almost empty.

Any other thoughts or advice?
Drink a few Singapore Slings on board. Try and avoid the SQ *A lounge at SIN and go to the PP lounges instead if you can.
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

Bid upgrades are occasionally available. Details here - https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...g/mysqupgrade/

Note that SQ doesn't try to sell every PE/J/F seat through cash or point upgrades. So you might not even get the opportunity even if the J cabin is almost empty.

He is travelling on a UA award seats. Dun think it is possible to do any upgrade.
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

He is travelling on a UA award seats. Dun think it is possible to do any upgrade.
Ah missed that part. Then no.
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
First, thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

Bid upgrades are occasionally available. Details here - https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/plan-travel/yourbooking/mysqupgrade/
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
I played with that upgrade bid and it did not give me a "you can't upgrade response" it was more of a: none are available now, but try back later response.

Like I said up thread, it would be cool if it is offered, but certainly not make or break for me.

Drink a few Singapore Slings on board.
Got it! Is there a charge? or I trust they take chargecards?

Try and avoid the SQ *A lounge at SIN and go to the PP lounges instead if you can.
Wow, noted! Yes I do have PP access, any specific suggestions in the PP offerings?

Follow up question: I am currently scheduled SIN-PVG on a 5pm flight, possible to leave on an earlier flight? if so... how does SQ do standby/same say change?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by opiuman
This is pure personal preference. Some people will say if you normally do Y, J or F is going to be insane to you anyway and maybe you won't notice the minor things or appreciate them because you just don't know better.

So in that case maybe only judge by the tangible differences, ex. champagne selection, food selection, people/bathroom ratio, seat size? Private room etc. Those are the only things you can peg your own personal value on. Maybe it's a special occasion?
It is a special occasion! I believe I won't notice the differences in the amenities and food. I'm thinking about flying F in one direction and flying back in J.

Originally Posted by Red259
I usually redeem F on SQ. The F product for SIN-SYD is supposed to be great. Unfortunately I am flying in J for SIN-SYD and only have experience with the older suites product. If it was me and you can find availability I would consider flying the new F product on the SIN-SYD route. You get more time with AKL-SIN but its the older product. I have done shorter inter regional flights on SQ in J, but have never flown J with them on an ultra longhaul the same way I have done in F. On an upcoming trip I am doing EWR-SIN-SYD all in J and then SIN-FRA-JFK coming back in suites, so give me a month and I am sure I will know all I need to know about long haul J flights with SQ. The bottom line is it depends on the person but I always found F to be worth the extra points IF you can find availability AND you don't mind spending the extra miles. From reading the reviews I get that sense that some other airlines have a better hard product when it comes to J flights, but its hard to imagine that it would not be a massive step up from what you get in the US which is usually crap.
Yeah, the hard product on SIN-SYD F looks amazing! My concern is that I need to find availability for two people, which may be impossible or highly improbable. I know my partner will be "touchy" if I left them in a lower class of service even though it's J.

It will be hard for you to find someone on FT who will say no to that.

If your question is “Is it worth the additional points over J”? Absolutely. No doubt about it.

More so with the old or the new suites vs. plain old SQ first class.

Is it worth it for you - TPR, champagne, caviar, even better service etc. etc. does that appeal to you over the extra points you’re spending? Would you prefer to save the extra points for another trip? Is this trip special enough for the splurge?
I do want to experience the TPR, caviar, champagne once! I think it's special enough to splurge especially in one direction.

Originally Posted by shuigao
Suites (whether old or new) vs J ... Completely worthy upgrade. The extra amount of space, privacy, etc is a huge step up over any airline's J (and many airlines' F products).
"Normal" F vs J ... a little less clear-cut, IMO. The F seat isn't all that different from J, so the upgrades are more along the lines of better food & booze options, pajamas and amenity kits, and somewhat more personalized service. Whether these items are worthy or not really depends on your mileage earn rates and travel patterns.
Hmmmm, you're convincing me. I really want to try the new suites so I think it's a worth throwing some miles at it.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try and see if can get two seats in F (Suites) to SYD.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended

I would like to book dream vacation for next year using Krisflyer points for 4pax
Europe-SYD
and I have question
I see avalibility for 4 pax in Business but also whant to book 1pax in first but this seats are waitlist only....
so my question is
if I book 4 pax in biz and also put 1 pax on waitlist for First(the same flights)
and before travel SQ will allow me finish booking for First seats, Can I just cancel 1pax from Bizness booking and finalize First booking?
do I have to pay some penalty to cancell booking for 1pax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.