General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Does redepositing miles from unused award tickets restart the mileage expiration clock?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
Does redepositing miles from unused award tickets restart the mileage expiration clock?
I'm not 100% sure but my gut says no it wouldn't. Think I had that very issue in the past.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by SFO777
mile expiry is fixed when it is earned.

There is no such thing as expiration clock.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
yiu did not request for refund previously?
You did not rebook after the earlier flight were cancelled right?

So you was given some flight credit which need to be use up by end dec?

The best way is to rebook a certain flight in NOV that bound to be cancelled. Right now SQ have scheduled up to end October.
Anything in NOV are place holder.

So that you can request for refunds. But need to do some homework n pray that one of these new flight are cancelled.

some destination which should be cancelled will be India cities. EWR flight to Sin should be cancel as well as SQ is flying non stop from JFK. Also for certain destination with multiple flights such as Bali, SQ will bound to cancel some of the flights, keeping 1 or 2. So need to do some guess work

however there is a risk of the flight not cancelling and u might have to rebook again.

Else, you will just to hope that SQ will extend the flight credit due date
I never requested a refund cause I did not expect COVID to go on for so long. Figured I would definitely been able to use it by Dec 2021. How wrong I was...

Is SQ planning on dropping EWR for JFK for the foreseeable future? If so, I might just end up booking the same itinerary and hope for a cancellation.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by shadoworb
I never requested a refund cause I did not expect COVID to go on for so long. Figured I would definitely been able to use it by Dec 2021. How wrong I was...

Is SQ planning on dropping EWR for JFK for the foreseeable future? If so, I might just end up booking the same itinerary and hope for a cancellation.
i would think EWR will be back but not so soon.
for winter season, SQ should be still flying to JFK.

They are now selling SQ21(EWR) n SQ23 (JFK) non stop flight in Nov. most likely SQ21 will be cancelled. They should be updating the schedule for NOVn Dec very soon.

So you might want to take the risk.

If cancelled ,you can refund.
If not cancelled, you can rebook to next year without change fees.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:43 pm

Redeposit time?

Just canceled KrisFlyer awards due to ongoing border closures in Australia. Most of the points are due to expire at the end of this month which is why I canceled now, to ensure they'd get the six-month extension.

Anyway, I called a week ago and the itinerary disappeared immediately and the agent said I'd get an email in a few days. Emails arrived this morning, one per ticket, and list the refund tax/fee amounts. That can take some days or weeks to get back to my credit card and I'm not concerned.

However, my points haven't been reinstated. And there are three transactions in my account dated today that look like the canceled tickets, showing zero miles each. Is this normal? Will it self-correct? If not, how do I get it fixed?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by BernardBlack
However, my points haven't been reinstated. And there are three transactions in my account dated today that look like the canceled tickets, showing zero miles each. Is this normal? Will it self-correct? If not, how do I get it fixed?
Yes, you should be concerned. My miles were refunded (still valid), almost immediately after cancellation.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
I'm trying to find an award seat from LAX-NRT in F in early December but it seems SQ doesn't release saver award space at all anymore? I scanned through several months and did not see a single saver fare, although usually 2-3 days a week have advantage fares pricing out at 182,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is a glitch, temporary change, permanent, or whether they tend to release award seats close to departure?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Weymar Osborne
I'm trying to find an award seat from LAX-NRT in F in early December but it seems SQ doesn't release saver award space at all anymore? I scanned through several months and did not see a single saver fare, although usually 2-3 days a week have advantage fares pricing out at 182,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is a glitch, temporary change, permanent, or whether they tend to release award seats close to departure?

There are only 4 F seats in B77W. I will not bet on SQ releasing Saver seats at all.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Weymar Osborne
Pre covid to get a saver F you usually needed to book the seat the INSTANT it became available (I think it was like 11 months to the day)
Old Sep 18, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Hi there,

Im about 5k miles short of a redemption on SQ. Ill be transferring my Chase and Amex points over.

I know SQ offers you the ability to buy the additional miles but can see what the price is as I havent transferred yet and want to wait until I can get a ball park on the additional 5k required.

Anyone know the equation?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2021, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mosfet
I know SQ offers you the ability to buy the additional miles but can see what the price is as I havent transferred yet and want to wait until I can get a ball park on the additional 5k required.

Anyone know the equation?
SQ miles top up is at US$40 per 1000 miles. So 5k miles will cost you US$200.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Originally Posted by fone
SQ miles top up is at US$40 per 1000 miles. So 5k miles will cost you US$200.
Thank you!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I just had an award flight (SQ1 in November) cancelled, and when the miles were refunded, there were 875 miles that expired upon refund, marked as MAY 2021. Not a huge deal, but I was under the impression that miles were still having their expiration dates extended. Is that incorrect, or did something odd happen here (perhaps the miles were already spent for the booking when the 6 month block was extended?)
Old Sep 19, 2021, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by zymm
I just had an award flight (SQ1 in November) cancelled, and when the miles were refunded, there were 875 miles that expired upon refund, marked as MAY 2021. Not a huge deal, but I was under the impression that miles were still having their expiration dates extended. Is that incorrect, or did something odd happen here (perhaps the miles were already spent for the booking when the 6 month block was extended?)
I got all my miles back even though when the flight was cancelled, they have already long expired. ever since then, it is on auto extension

you might want to double check whether they truly deduct 875 from your grand total

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.