General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by onlySIA
No personal experience but I have been considering this trip myself for some point in the future so I've researched it a bit.

Via Frankfurt you will have an older plane, the version with the super wide seats in J - they are starting to show their age a bit (took a while to get comfortable on my last flight as the padding wasn't very effective, and the in-flight entertainment system is clunky and not as high-definition as the A350 product). If you want to travel economy or first class this is your only option, though.

Nonstop flight goes over the north pole and so large portion of the flight lacks wifi. The timing of the second meal is supposedly "on demand" so if you're one of those people whose eating patterns get disrupted when flying that might help.

If flight duration isn't important, also consider takeoff/landing times (SQ21 scheduled departure is 0945 - I personally dislike departures before about 11 am), price, lounges (reviews of the lounge at JFK are quite negative; the one at EWR has faintly positive reviews).
Thanks for the reply! Will be in J, and both options are still tempting haha. Looks like Frankfurt is so easy to get around, plus the airport is so close.
Non stop on a newer plane does sound fantastic though. I think like in a previous comment of mine, I'll probably just have to take whatever saver fare opens up, as I haven't had any luck so far.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
is it normal for RDMs to post before EQMs?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Can I stopover at BKK a few days for my SYD-BKK-SFO award? I know SYD-SIN-SFO should work but for BKK I'm not sure.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Is it possible to hold SQ Escapes awards on hold?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ALGU
Is it possible to hold SQ Escapes awards on hold?
No. Not possible.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:59 am

Hi guys! First time posting here and I have a question is IAH - MAN - SIN (stopover) - AKL/SYD a valid routing for award chart (129k in J?). A lot of you guys are able to book it that way but the agent online keep pricing as 2 award tickets rather than one..

TIA
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by shosana
Hi guys! First time posting here and I have a question is IAH - MAN - SIN (stopover) - AKL/SYD a valid routing for award chart (129k in J?). A lot of you guys are able to book it that way but the agent online keep pricing as 2 award tickets rather than one..
I'd guess it's a HUCA situation. You can totally do a IAH - MAN - SIN (stopover) - SYD - SIN - MAN - IAH return on the website and it prices out to 258k, so I don't see any particular reason why you wouldn't be allowed to do the one way on the phone with your expected amount of miles.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by shosana

TIA
Stopover need to pay US$100. So you need to tell the agent that you want to have a paid stopover. If not , pls call the Singapore office CS instead.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
At JFK check-in on Thursday (January 16, 2020), a full 2 hours+ prior to SQ25 departure - a female adult and a female child traveling together cut me off while I approached the counter. Another counter opened up, so they were directed there. Minutes later, I see the same check-in agent accompanying them to TSA Pre line while cutting off everyone waiting patiently.

Anyone might venture a guess as to the reason for the rush? Suite pax getting VIP services? I did observe the check-in agent asking the female child to sign the passport, so this maybe her first INTL trip.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:22 am

Hello SQ forum,

I'm trying to book some flights for next winter which have just appeared on the SQ website. However the booking fails after entering the names of the passengers.

Is it because we're not still 330 days out (then why put them on the website), or is it the website being difficult?

Thank you!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Hello SQ forum,

I'm trying to book some flights for next winter which have just appeared on the SQ website. However the booking fails after entering the names of the passengers.

Is it because we're not still 330 days out (then why put them on the website), or is it the website being difficult?

Thank you!

I was able to book mine the minute the date opened up on the calendar. You are as far out as the calendar will let you go?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by EclipzoR
I was able to book mine the minute the date opened up on the calendar. You are as far out as the calendar will let you go?
Yes, I have tried various combinations of browser, number of passengers, type of passengers, dates; even tried the app.

I don't really want to wait because I am sure tomorrow prices will already be higher. If I call the call centre will they charge me extra even if the website does not work?

EDIT: I called and they confirmed problems with the website, I could complete my booking on the phone without any extra charge. In fact the ticket price was cheaper in USD than in EUR (I'm looking to depart from AMS).

Last edited by malmostoso; Jan 19, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I tried to find a thread but could not see one.

Does SQ offer buyups to the next fare class at time of checkin? I will be in PE. I have no status with SQ but am *A Gold.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I tried to find a thread but could not see one.

Does SQ offer buyups to the next fare class at time of checkin? I will be in PE. I have no status with SQ but am *A Gold.
You can ask (depend on seats availability) but it will be at the full fare. It won’t be cheap or some flat rate. SQ won’t be giving discount for you to upfare. If your flight is still some time away, maybe you can call n check what is the cost (as lower business class fare might be available)
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska Gold MVP
I am thinking of transferring my Citi Thank You points to SQ. I have never used SQ. I am mainly looking to fly from PDX to YUL and PDX to LHR. When I try and search for award tickets, it doesn't work. Is this because I don't have any miles yet? I don't want to transfer my points unless I know I can use them for these destinations. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.