Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:04 pm

On the flight information screens at Changi, do they ever say "boarding"? I got caught out and nearly missed my flight last week because I wrongly assumed the "gate open" status meant the flight hadn't started boarding and I still had time. Or did they just forget to update the info?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM
My travel agency booked me RT MCI-SIN through Alaska Airlines codesharing on the long haul with SQ. I was hoping to bank the SQ leg into my ANA account, but I'm getting an error on the SQ website whenever I try to add my ANA account number. Is that not possible if the leg is booked through AS, or is this just an IT issue? The specific error reads: "We are unable to process your request. Please contact your local Singapore Airlines office."
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by brenrox
I have a VA/SQ/NZ ticket from ADL-DUD (via MEL) that I purchased via the SQ website. The VA ADL-MEL flight leaves ~7pm and my MEL-WLG flight leaves at 650am the following morning....will I be checked in for the SQ flight in ADL the night before? If so, what time does the bag drop close? As you can imagine, I am trying to maximise sleep!
Should be checked in the whole way. Usually bag drop is possible up to 45 minutes before takeoff but I don't know for Adelaide. But wouldn't it be easier to check your hold luggage all the way through and manage the night with just hand luggage? I have some miniatures of shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste (free sample at the dentist's) in case of trips with overnight stops. Being able to head straight to the gate the next day makes it a loss less stressful and saves waiting at baggage reclaim before the stopover.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by alman84
My travel agency booked me RT MCI-SIN through Alaska Airlines codesharing on the long haul with SQ. I was hoping to bank the SQ leg into my ANA account, but I'm getting an error on the SQ website whenever I try to add my ANA account number. Is that not possible if the leg is booked through AS, or is this just an IT issue? The specific error reads: "We are unable to process your request. Please contact your local Singapore Airlines office."
usually it is the IT. SQ standard reply is clear browser cache n try again another time
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:16 pm

Hello. I need to cancel an award on AS booked with SQ miles (flight is set for two weeks out). I'm finding going through their cancellation fees... confusing. Do I really need to pay $50 to cancel and $75 for redeposit... or get hit with a $100 no show fee? The cost was only 7500 miles and $5.60 for TSA, so walking away would be easy if they really wouldn't hit my credit card with $100 for no showing.

Sorry for the newbie level question... I only booked this flight anyway to use up some remaining miles before they expired Spring 2020. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mjjckc
Hello. I need to cancel an award on AS booked with SQ miles (flight is set for two weeks out). I'm finding going through their cancellation fees... confusing. Do I really need to pay $50 to cancel and $75 for redeposit... or get hit with a $100 no show fee? The cost was only 7500 miles and $5.60 for TSA, so walking away would be easy if they really wouldn't hit my credit card with $100 for no showing.

Sorry for the newbie level question... I only booked this flight anyway to use up some remaining miles before they expired Spring 2020. Thanks in advance

do you still want to fly on this flight ? Or u have any future date.
If you cancel, there will be a $75 cancellation fee. Nothing else
if u have any future date, you can change the date for$25 I think.

No show usually won’t apply unless you never fly the flight and then if you wan to change it after the flight date , then no show fee will apply.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by onlySIA
Should be checked in the whole way. Usually bag drop is possible up to 45 minutes before takeoff but I don't know for Adelaide. But wouldn't it be easier to check your hold luggage all the way through and manage the night with just hand luggage? I have some miniatures of shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste (free sample at the dentist's) in case of trips with overnight stops. Being able to head straight to the gate the next day makes it a loss less stressful and saves waiting at baggage reclaim before the stopover.
I hadn't thought of that! I'm flying tonight, so will post back my experiences. Thanks for your response, appreciate it.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Hi, quick question (I have not seen the answer posted anywhere): do SQ redemptions on United in simple economy e.g. NYC to SFO have any checked luggage allowance at all? I do not have *A Gold status any longer I am afraid. Many thanks
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by JFSV
Hi, quick question (I have not seen the answer posted anywhere): do SQ redemptions on United in simple economy e.g. NYC to SFO have any checked luggage allowance at all? I do not have *A Gold status any longer I am afraid. Many thanks
You can look up your UA PNR and check your luggage allowance. Award tickets on UA are treated no different than paid tickets. So you'll have to pay for any checked luggage.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by brenrox
I have a VA/SQ/NZ ticket from ADL-DUD (via MEL) that I purchased via the SQ website. The VA ADL-MEL flight leaves ~7pm and my MEL-WLG flight leaves at 650am the following morning....will I be checked in for the SQ flight in ADL the night before? If so, what time does the bag drop close? As you can imagine, I am trying to maximise sleep!
So when I checked in via kiosk I was given a bag tag to WLG (didn't have WLG-DUD leg). I went to do bag drop and the VA agent insited it couldn't be left over night at MEL, so she printed a new tag, just checking it to MEL. I was able to reprint a bag tag to DUD in the morning on the SQ kiosk at MEL
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

do you still want to fly on this flight ? Or u have any future date.
If you cancel, there will be a $75 cancellation fee. Nothing else
if u have any future date, you can change the date for$25 I think.

No show usually won’t apply unless you never fly the flight and then if you wan to change it after the flight date , then no show fee will apply.
Change fee ended up being $50 (they recently changed their fees?)... still cheaper than paying cash for a flight or using my AS miles. Thanks for the reply and safe travels
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by mjjckc
Change fee ended up being $50 (they recently changed their fees?)... still cheaper than paying cash for a flight or using my AS miles. Thanks for the reply and safe travels
Think change online n via phone is different fee.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:39 pm

Hi I plan on using 25k United miles but it is a mixed cabin. First leg is DPS to SIN in business class with a 3 hour layover at SIN airport. Then it will be economy from SIN to SGN both flights on Singapore Airlines. Will they let me access the business class lounge at SIN upon arrival?
Update - Checking Krissflyer I can get business saver for both legs for 21,500 miles so forget United.

Also are they strict about weighing carry-on luggage? 7kg limit is pretty light.
Update - looking at Tripadvisor most likely they're strict so I will probably have to check it in.
Now I have to decide should I stay the night in Singapore or just enjoy the layover in SIN.
Thanks!

Last edited by gtran26; Aug 20, 2019 at 10:06 pm
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by gtran26
Hi I plan on using 25k United miles but it is a mixed cabin. First leg is DPS to SIN in business class with a 3 hour layover at SIN airport. Then it will be economy from SIN to SGN both flights on Singapore Airlines. Will they let me access the business class lounge at SIN upon arrival?
Update - Checking Krissflyer I can get business saver for both legs for 21,500 miles so forget United.

Also are they strict about weighing carry-on luggage? 7kg limit is pretty light.
Update - looking at Tripadvisor most likely they're strict so I will probably have to check it in.
Now I have to decide should I stay the night in Singapore or just enjoy the layover in SIN.
Thanks!

SQ business class is 2x7kg carry on. Usually they are not strict on the weight. But if the bags are too big they might ask to check in.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gtran26
Update - Checking Krissflyer I can get business saver for both legs for 21,500 miles
Thanks!
No lounge access on the second flight when you are in Y, unless of course you are *G or have managed to travel in J for both.

Star Alliance lounge access is based on departing cabin class, irrespective of any prior sectors in a higher cabin class.
(There might be some exceptions by carrier, but with SQ in the circumstances you describe).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.