General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Unionruler
Hm...you're approaching it with the wrong frame of mind. AV LM and AC Aeroplan have reasonably good *A availability. KF has reasonably poor *A availability because years of sour relations with partners in terms of award availability reciprocity. They have diverged to the point that AV LM and AC Aeroplan should never be used as benchmarks for KF because there is simply no basis of comparison.

KF has what KF has, and you need to phone in to check what they really have, period.
I'm asking because I can seem to find SIMILAR availability to what's widely available, for these 3 carriers, meanwhile what I find for others is non-existent.

I have tried calling, but the problem with calling and having no ammo or reliably search data is that you're at the mercy of whatever they tell you. I've called KF probably 10 times total, for this and in other scenarios. The first answer I ALWAYS get is "no there's nothing". Whenever I've had that kind of experience with Aeroplan, I can usually fire back and say "oh really, even this flight on this exact date and time, then connecting to this flight". The reply is usually like "oh yea, there it is". Meanwhile I search up 1 way MDE-CAI and get absolutely nothing, not even a bad routing, on every single day I search. I call, I get told the exact same thing.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm asking because I can seem to find SIMILAR availability to what's widely available, for these 3 carriers, meanwhile what I find for others is non-existent.

I have tried calling, but the problem with calling and having no ammo or reliably search data is that you're at the mercy of whatever they tell you. I've called KF probably 10 times total, for this and in other scenarios. The first answer I ALWAYS get is "no there's nothing". Whenever I've had that kind of experience with Aeroplan, I can usually fire back and say "oh really, even this flight on this exact date and time, then connecting to this flight". The reply is usually like "oh yea, there it is". Meanwhile I search up 1 way MDE-CAI and get absolutely nothing, not even a bad routing, on every single day I search. I call, I get told the exact same thing.
For the last time...it is NOT similar. I understand what you mean by fall backs re Aeroplan. These do NOT exist on Krisflyer. It's stupid but that's the way it is because the two problems of (1) lousy booking engine and (2) insisting on not giving partners SQ's own LH award inventory conflate to produce such a result. The other posters in this thread have already told you that the primary use of Krisflyer is to fly SQ and not *A metal because of the hell of finding actual availability, and then of booking it.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Based on rules from all other programs I participate in, they'll definitely charge you the highest cost. The only program I know much about that doesn't do this is Lifemiles. They charge per segment, so you can save miles by taking long haul business then short haul econ especially when it's pointless like euro-biz.
Bummer. ex-SEA I'd only be able to get Biz availability, whereas I'd want to fly Suites on as many legs as possible (and First otherwise).

Is it possible to do stopovers on one-ways? I could also see some hypothetical routing e.g. LHR-SIN (stopover)-NRT and then bookend with some other pair of awards, maybe on another airline.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:17 pm

One way stopovers are possible but u have to call in to SQ to book and costs extra, maybe $100?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
One way stopovers are possible but u have to call in to SQ to book and costs extra, maybe $100?
correct. $100 USD per stopover, up to 2 on a one way award
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by saaveraward
correct. $100 USD per stopover, up to 2 on a one way award
Interesting. If flying AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD how is the mileage cost calculated? Is it from Zone AAA to Zone DDD or is it computed per-segment in this case?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:05 pm

It's still calculated for the whole segment. ex. SQ 12/11 are SIN/NRT/LAX by default. You pay the routing based on zone 12-1 I think and the single stopover you could add in this case is that 100 USD.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
I'm running out of time to requalify to KF Gold with ~13k Elite miles short. I do have loads (+100k) of KF Miles - is there anything I can do with them to offset the missing Elite miles? Is there any other way as I don't have time to fly SQ before the end of my tracking period?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Unsub
I'm running out of time to requalify to KF Gold with ~13k Elite miles short. I do have loads (+100k) of KF Miles - is there anything I can do with them to offset the missing Elite miles? Is there any other way as I don't have time to fly SQ before the end of my tracking period?
You cannot use your existing balance, but if you think you might collect the missing elite miles with a star alliance flight shortly after your membership year you should phone up and ask for an extension. 1 to 3 months is often possible.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:18 pm

Is there a current problem with Krisflyer showing LH availability in F? It is not showing any routes I can see availability on with other *A websites. Odd.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Unsub
I'm running out of time to requalify to KF Gold with ~13k Elite miles short. I do have loads (+100k) of KF Miles - is there anything I can do with them to offset the missing Elite miles?
Is there any other way as I don't have time to fly SQ before the end of my tracking period?
If you have SQ flights booked after the membership year, email SQ KF with the flight details to get up to 3 mth extension

Thank you for your email of 18 May 2019 to Singapore Airlines regarding Elite Silver qualification extension.
We appreciate the value that you have placed on our Elite Silver membership.
We note that you would like to seek for further extension for your qualification period to accrue the remaining shortfall.
We would appreciate it if you could provide us with your upcoming ticketed booking for further review.

Originally Posted by w4rd
You cannot use your existing balance, but if you think you might collect the missing elite miles with a star alliance flight shortly after your membership year you should phone up and ask for an extension.
1 to 3 months is often possible.
+1

1 month is granted upon 1st email -

Thank you for your email of 18 May 2019 to Singapore Airlines regarding Elite Silver qualification.
Our records show that you would require -- Elite miles by 31 May 2019 to qualify as an Elite Silver member.
As a gesture of goodwill, we are pleased to inform you that we will be able to offer you one month extension of your Elite Silver qualification period till 30 June 2019 for you to accrue the shortfall of -- Elite miles to qualify as an Elite Silver member.
We would appreciate it if you could acknowledge on the above arrangement for us to proceed with the extension.
w4rd likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Local travel blogs about SQ

I guess this is a general question re: SQ as the blogs like Milelion & MainlyMiles both focus heavily on SQ flights, routes & fleet.

Apologies if it's O/T but there's no thread to discuss local travel blogs as yet ..

Anyway I find ML to be in a poor state ever since he quit his job as a mgt. consultant & stopped the RTW trips which were actually a great read back in 2016/17
After a short lived stint at another miles blog, he's now hawking credit card signups instead of doing what he does best - flying RTW & writing trip reports
His TR's are few & far between, the latest being the CX F mistake fares (it's such a tedious & convoluted thread on the CX board - I'm kinda glad I didn't book it) ...

Haven't visited the site regularly for a while, preferring to check MM for more informative & original content but less frequent - more importantly w/o the cc signup links & promotions ...
I firmly believe that a travel blogger should be doing more travel & writing more trip reports instead of mainly pushing cc signup's

But I guess without his ex-company paying for those RTW trips, there's not much content to write about ...

And no, I'm not interested in your "SQ KF advanced workshops" either ... thanks but no thanks!

Are there other blogs that focus on SQ like the above? What local blogs do you read?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kaffir76
I guess this is a general question re: SQ as the blogs like Milelion & MainlyMiles both focus heavily on SQ flights, routes & fleet.

Apologies if it's O/T but there's no thread to discuss local travel blogs as yet ..

Anyway I find ML to be in a poor state ever since he quit his job as a mgt. consultant & stopped the RTW trips which were actually a great read back in 2016/17
After a short lived stint at another miles blog, he's now hawking credit card signups instead of doing what he does best - flying RTW & writing trip reports
His TR's are few & far between, the latest being the CX F mistake fares (it's such a tedious & convoluted thread on the CX board - I'm kinda glad I didn't book it) ...

Haven't visited the site regularly for a while, preferring to check MM for more informative & original content but less frequent - more importantly w/o the cc signup links & promotions ...
I firmly believe that a travel blogger should be doing more travel & writing more trip reports instead of mainly pushing cc signup's

But I guess without his ex-company paying for those RTW trips, there's not much content to write about ...

And no, I'm not interested in your "SQ KF advanced workshops" either ... thanks but no thanks!

Are there other blogs that focus on SQ like the above? What local blogs do you read?
There is a SQtalk forum.

I for one don't see any need for SIN/SQ-based blogs. SQ is flown lots by bloggers all over the world so there are abundant trip reports. But yes if it's entertainment value you're looking for, perhaps there is a market for more blogs.

The discipline of KF redemptions can be studied to no end because KF has many restrictions, and then you try to skirt them, but there are many experts lurking here who are better than Milelion, and I hope those secrets will never see the light of day. If you think about it, even A3 redemptions and AS redemptions are studied intensely as disciplines when they usually only allow 1 stopover/transfer (other than tagging on additional AS segments), so KF is a deep discipline.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by w4rd
You cannot use your existing balance, but if you think you might collect the missing elite miles with a star alliance flight shortly after your membership year you should phone up and ask for an extension. 1 to 3 months is often possible.
Originally Posted by kaffir76
If you have SQ flights booked after the membership year, email SQ KF with the flight details to get up to 3 mth extension
Got 3 month extension by phoning them up. I appreciate the tips!

Do note that any excess miles won't be carried over to the next perid, so better be careful how much extension you ask for. They offered me to pick any extension between 1-3 months and I just played it safe.
w4rd likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I have a VA/SQ/NZ ticket from ADL-DUD (via MEL) that I purchased via the SQ website. The VA ADL-MEL flight leaves ~7pm and my MEL-WLG flight leaves at 650am the following morning....will I be checked in for the SQ flight in ADL the night before? If so, what time does the bag drop close? As you can imagine, I am trying to maximise sleep!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.