Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by merridius
is SQ likely to release Y award space last minute? in particular when its available to partners already. i checked on lifemiles and NH and i see availability for a particular flight i want next week, but its waitlisted through krisflyer. I'm guessing the krisflyer bucket is sold out and the partner bucket still has decent space.
They might release some. I've had experience redeeming for J tickets (regional) on SQ. Actually redeemed tickets from Krisflyer and partner for the same flights to utilize all available space. In some cases, both combine to be insufficient for my needs and I waitlist on Krisflyer, which, lucky for me, ended up able to confirm. So these are totally separate and unrelated inventories.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Krisflyer Elite Gold
Hi All, I am relatively new so please be gentle and hopefully this is the correct area to post this =)

I would like to get maximum value for a trip next February 2020 or later on the following:

Route: Oneway SIN -> NRT (Stopover) -> LAX (These country pairs are fixed due to meeting a friend in Japan during stopover)
Will have 130,000 Krisflyer miles to work with when the February flights become available for 2020 (All coming from UR/MR).
Dates: February 1 or later (Very flexible, can go any time due to one year work anniversary and vacation lump sum becoming available)
Looking for: Experience, specifically lounge (TPR), food and drink (don't care or sleep much on planes). Have tried KE F and UA 2-2-2 Polaris already and want to experience something better haha and really want to finally try SQ in a premium cabin(one of my lifelong dreams)
Fees: Perfectly okay with paying for change date fees/ stopover fees etc

Please let me know if any of these options are better than the other ( or if its even legal):

Option #1
1. SIN -> NRT (SQ First Saver: 130,000, Decent availability for this sector at least with the dummy dates I searched? Is it possible to arrive at HND and leave at NRT?)
2. Pay $100 for stayover in Japan
3. NRT -> LAX (Waitlist for SQ First saver knowing chances are pretty nil, and book confirmed SQ Business saver or maybe Business Advantage?)

Option #2
1. SIN -> NRT (SQ First Saver)
3. NRT -> LAX (****ANA First saver for 125,000 miles, Is it even possible to go SQ-> ANA on this type of route? Will this cost me 130,000 points, 130,000 + 125,000 points, or 125,000 points if it is legal?)

Option #3 (Safe Option)
1. SIN -> NRT (Confirmed SQ Business Saver: 95,000, Decent availability?)
3. NRT -> LAX (Confirmed SQ Business Saver: 95,000 miles)

Option #4
Better alternative that I did not think of and you suggest.

Summary of Questions
Is it possible to waitlist for SQ first saver while have a confirmed business saver for same sector? Will I lose confirmed first saver for SIN->NRT portion if the waitlist clears and they need to change the NRT->LAX leg? (See option 1)
Is it possible to combine carriers using only Krisflyer miles (SQ first leg, ANA second leg after stayover)
Is it too much hassle and just try for Business saver the whole way?

Finally, If you were me, which option would you choose (1, 2, 3, or 4)?

Thanks so much in advance and hopefully it wasn't too confusing to understand...Will be booking as soon as the flights for February start becoming available.

-Foodcrazyboy
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by foodcrazyboy
Hi All, I am relatively new so please be gentle and hopefully this is the correct area to post this =)

I would like to get maximum value for a trip next February 2020 or later on the following:

Route: Oneway SIN -> NRT (Stopover) -> LAX (These country pairs are fixed due to meeting a friend in Japan during stopover)
Will have 130,000 Krisflyer miles to work with when the February flights become available for 2020 (All coming from UR/MR).
Dates: February 1 or later (Very flexible, can go any time due to one year work anniversary and vacation lump sum becoming available)
Looking for: Experience, specifically lounge (TPR), food and drink (don't care or sleep much on planes). Have tried KE F and UA 2-2-2 Polaris already and want to experience something better haha and really want to finally try SQ in a premium cabin(one of my lifelong dreams)
Fees: Perfectly okay with paying for change date fees/ stopover fees etc

Please let me know if any of these options are better than the other ( or if its even legal):

Option #1
1. SIN -> NRT (SQ First Saver: 130,000, Decent availability for this sector at least with the dummy dates I searched? Is it possible to arrive at HND and leave at NRT?)
3. NRT -> LAX (Waitlist for SQ First saver knowing chances are pretty nil, and book confirmed SQ Business saver or maybe Business Advantage?)

Option #2
1. SIN -> NRT (SQ First Saver)
3. NRT -> LAX (****ANA First saver for 125,000 miles, Is it even possible to go SQ-> ANA on this type of route? Will this cost me 130,000 points, 130,000 + 125,000 points, or 125,000 points if it is legal?)

Option #3 (Safe Option)
1. SIN -> NRT (Confirmed SQ Business Saver: 95,000, Decent availability?)
3. NRT -> LAX (Confirmed SQ Business Saver: 95,000 miles)

Option #4
Better alternative that I did not think of and you suggest.

Summary of Questions
Is it possible to waitlist for SQ first saver while have a confirmed business saver for same sector? Will I lose confirmed first saver for SIN->NRT portion if the waitlist clears and they need to change the NRT->LAX leg? (See option 1)
Is it possible to combine carriers using only Krisflyer miles (SQ first leg, ANA second leg after stayover)
Is it too much hassle and just try for Business saver the whole way?

Finally, If you were me, which option would you choose (1, 2, 3, or 4)?

Thanks so much in advance and hopefully it wasn't too confusing to understand...Will be booking as soon as the flights for February start becoming available.

-Foodcrazyboy
All options are really fine. However option #2 doesn't show up until the 355th+1 day out. You can see this via pressing "Star Alliance" after a starting booking which defaults to Singapore+Silk Air.

I've noticed for Jan 2020 most Tuesday, Weds, Thurs are best for availability. Weekends tend to be kinda bad. All options are good but I would suggest 1 or 3 which is just easier. J availability is obviously better than F but if it's just you it's about the same. If there are you 2, business saver actually has dates with 2 seats where F with 2 is extremely rare.

1. Yes you can waitlist but remember if you book for say Feb 2nd (your real date of travel), then expect to call back because you want to add a stopover later for say Feb 10th you won't see availability until that day the stopover becomes available. Also don't forget you need to WL with all the miles in your account. Also if you book F for the first leg (which really books the second leg on the same day too) there's a possibility the F cabin won't be available for the second portion as that obviously a different flight subject to that availability.

It is possible to land at HND but space seems worse and they seem to load these flights the same as the *A flights, one day after 355 out. Anyway the flights are SQ636, 634, 638 and 630.

2. Yes you can use KF for a SQ + ANA via the above option. It's 135k points via SQ634 and NH106 in F. I THINK there might be a SQ12+NH106 option, I swear I've seen it before. I also see a NH842+NH106 in J only.

3. Not really, as per above. Business tends to have a bit more openings.

Last edited by opiuman; Feb 1, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by opiuman
All options are really fine. However option #2 doesn't show up until the 355th+1 day out. You can see this via pressing "Star Alliance" after a starting booking which defaults to Singapore+Silk Air.

I've noticed for Jan 2020 most Tuesday, Weds, Thurs are best for availability. Weekends tend to be kinda bad. All options are good but I would suggest 1 or 3 which is just easier. J availability is obviously better than F but if it's just you it's about the same. If there are you 2, business saver actually has dates with 2 seats where F with 2 is extremely rare.

1. Yes you can waitlist but remember if you book for say Feb 2nd (your real date of travel), then expect to call back because you want to add a stopover later for say Feb 10th you won't see availability until that day the stopover becomes available. Also don't forget you need to WL with all the miles in your account. Also if you book F for the first leg (which really books the second leg on the same day too) there's a possibility the F cabin won't be available for the second portion as that obviously a different flight subject to that availability.

It is possible to land at HND but space seems worse and they seem to load these flights the same as the *A flights, one day after 355 out. Anyway the flights are SQ636, 634, 638 and 630.

2. Yes you can use KF for a SQ + ANA via the above option. It's 135k points via SQ634 and NH106 in F. I THINK there might be a SQ12+NH106 option, I swear I've seen it before. I also see a NH842+NH106 in J only.

3. Not really, as per above. Business tends to have a bit more openings.

Thanks for your input opiuman! I think I will try option 1 and have option 3 as back up. It will just be me so no need to get availability for 2 seats

Last edited by foodcrazyboy; Feb 1, 2019 at 9:37 pm Reason: add info
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:10 pm

One more question, how was 135k points calculated for SQ634+NH106? Can't make it appear on the booking website..
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by foodcrazyboy
One more question, how was 135k points calculated for SQ634+NH106? Can't make it appear on the booking website..
It was on some date, anyway it's the same price as SQ12+NH106.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:37 am

So i feel like i hit the jackpot! I was able to get confirmed first saver on both SQ634/SQ12. Originally I was going to waitlist for SQ12 and pay a change/stopover fee for a later date but now I think I have to go the other way since its harder to get saver on SQ12. Pay change/stopover fee and move SQ634 earlier....Would I have any issues doing this and is this allowed (pending availability of course, ok with different SIN-TYO flights as well)?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:42 pm

HKG In-Town Check-In

I can't seem to be able to confirm whether USA-bound pax (specifically, SQ2 (HKG-SFO)) can utilize the MTR In-Town Check-In service in Kowloon. Does anyone know? SQ CS says it doesn't exist (wrong) and no one picks up the local phone number.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by chillin2345
I can't seem to be able to confirm whether USA-bound pax (specifically, SQ2 (HKG-SFO)) can utilize the MTR In-Town Check-In service in Kowloon. Does anyone know? SQ CS says it doesn't exist (wrong) and no one picks up the local phone number.
Yes - you can check in for SQ 002 HKGSFO at the Hong Kong or Kowloon Airport Express counters in-town.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:36 am

Question regarding lounge access:

*G traveling in business class from SIN. Can I bring a guest traveling in Y to the Silverkris business class lounge or do we have to go to the Gold Lounge?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by chivas69
Question regarding lounge access:

*G traveling in business class from SIN. Can I bring a guest traveling in Y to the Silverkris business class lounge or do we have to go to the Gold Lounge?
Both going to the same lounge, Silverkris lounge. In fact, I've tried bringing my guest to Gold lounge and was rejected entry (pointing us towards the SKL).
chivas69 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:08 pm

Hi all, Newbie here with a basic question. We've never flown on SQ but I'm trying to figure it out so I can get round-trip SFO-NRT (or HND) for 4 passengers in Sept. 2019. We may end up flying to LAX first since SQ doesn't fly nonstop out of SFO (and UA is $1800/person just for economy on the direct nonstop out of SFO!). Anyhow, we have almost 550K Chase points and 170K United Miles so I'd love to upgrade to J. Is there a way to pay a mix of cash and miles to get to J since I don't have enough to get J with just miles? I saw a note that KF members can do a combo of miles and cash but it didn't come up as an option in the "Redeem Flights" search engine.

Also, how do I check availability for upgrades to J from PE?

Thanks.

Last edited by smiles33; Feb 14, 2019 at 10:16 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by smiles33
Hi all, Newbie here with a basic question. We've never flown on SQ but I'm trying to figure it out so I can get round-trip SFO-NRT (or HND) for 4 passengers in Sept. 2019. We may end up flying to LAX first since SQ doesn't fly nonstop out of SFO (and UA is $1800/person just for economy on the direct nonstop out of SFO!). Anyhow, we have almost 550K Chase points and 170K United Miles so I'd love to upgrade to J. Is there a way to pay a mix of cash and miles to get to J since I don't have enough to get J with just miles? I saw a note that KF members can do a combo of miles and cash but it didn't come up as an option in the "Redeem Flights" search engine.

Also, how do I check availability for upgrades to J from PE?

Thanks.
it is not worth it to use mixes cash miles option. Basically you still have to pay large amount of cash as the conversion rate is very low.
this option appear under cash booking (not under redeem miles )

check on the date that you wan to fly n call SQ to ask for the availability for upgrades before you book the tickets in PE. N not all class for PE allow for upgrades. Read the fare conditions first.
But for 4 persons round trips will be quite difficult as LAX- Tokyo is quite popular.

edit. Can find 4 Business class award seat from LAX to Tokyo on 10 sept 17/sept 18/sept n 24 sept. Saver redemption at 92k miles per pax.

Also 4 business class award seat from Tokyo to lax on 10/sept 11/sept 17/sept 18/sept 24/sept 25/sept. (Tues n wed departure).

Not sure about the conversion rate for the point. If one point to 1 mile , you might be just short of little bits miles. 92kx2x4 = 736k Miles

Last edited by sbs2716g; Feb 15, 2019 at 1:36 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! There's so much to figure out! I hadn't considered SQ since it didn't come up as an option on Google Flights when I wanted a nonstop from SFO. But saving $4,000 (if we fly economy on SQ instead of economy on United out of SFO) by flying to LAX first is worth the stop.

Yes, I figured it's quite difficult to get 4 upgrades with miles to Business, so I'm planning to do at least Premium Economy. Our dates are rigid as my kids have a Fall break and we're trying to minimize their missing school. I was hoping to fly out on Thursday 9/18 (having them miss just 2 days of school before their break) and returning Saturday 9/28 (so we have one day to recover from jet lag). You're right that I'm short on miles so I may have to wait a few more months. Or I may just buy PE soon to make sure those don't sell out (and we can get our choice of 2 rows of window/aisle seats).

Thanks again!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by smiles33
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! There's so much to figure out! I hadn't considered SQ since it didn't come up as an option on Google Flights when I wanted a nonstop from SFO. But saving $4,000 (if we fly economy on SQ instead of economy on United out of SFO) by flying to LAX first is worth the stop.

Yes, I figured it's quite difficult to get 4 upgrades with miles to Business, so I'm planning to do at least Premium Economy. Our dates are rigid as my kids have a Fall break and we're trying to minimize their missing school. I was hoping to fly out on Thursday 9/18 (having them miss just 2 days of school before their break) and returning Saturday 9/28 (so we have one day to recover from jet lag). You're right that I'm short on miles so I may have to wait a few more months. Or I may just buy PE soon to make sure those don't sell out (and we can get our choice of 2 rows of window/aisle seats).

Thanks again!
maybe you can book business award 4 seats on 18/9 from lax to Tokyo. So 92k miles x 4 =368k miles

28/9 you can book premium economy saver award which is available @66K miles per pax from Tokyo to LAX. So 264k miles. So you should have enough miles ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.