Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How closely is the 7kg-rule for cabin baggage enforced in C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt

I'll be taking two upcoming SQ flights: PVG-SIN and SIN-BKK in C. I am a professional photographer and typically carry on, in a canvas camera bag stored in my rollerboad, two camera bodies and four lenses. My bag will certainly weigh over 7kg, although I know from past experience that many airlines ignore their 7kg rule for those who are flying in C or F and/or are carrying expensive photography gear. I'm also *G, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb

You should be ok, as long your carry on bags dont go over the dimensions.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:06 am

To my experience SIA hardly carries out any checks on the carry-ons, certainly not in C. In Y it is common practise that people bringing two pieces of hand-carries onboard and no one asks any questions.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:47 am

SQ rarely weighs check-in bags

I have traveled SQ extensively over the past 2 years, in both C and Y, and have never had my check-in bags weighed (or even measured).

Last edited by 200ktraveler; Jun 17, 2012 at 3:50 am Reason: Incorrect heading
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:51 am

Heading should have read "CARRY-ON"

Originally Posted by 200ktraveler
I have traveled SQ extensively over the past 2 years, in both C and Y, and have never had my check-in bags weighed (or even measured).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SQ325
To my experience SIA hardly carries out any checks on the carry-ons, certainly not in C. In Y it is common practise that people bringing two pieces of hand-carries onboard and no one asks any questions.
I wouldn't agree necessarily. Flights to/from India (MAA,BLR, DEL, BOM etc) are subject to special screening at SIN. In the waiting area SQ staff are always on the prowl with luggage tags looking for seeming overweight/big bags and enforcing the weight/size limit on cabin baggage.

I have also seen this scenario during peak summer season travel to/from SFO, when lot of Indian/HKG families make their way to Asia.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
I did have a 20" rollerboard weighed (and rejected) as a carryon in C flying SQ KIX-SIN last year. However, I've also carried the same suitcase without problems in Y on several occasions.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
JFK-FRA they check pretty closely. Had to shuffle around stuff on various occasions to make the required weight.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, DL Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Also just flew JFK-FRA they weighed my carry on. It was way over 7kg but I was asked if I had a laptop in there and when I responded that had all sorts of Apple products and camera they let it slide.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:55 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
The only time they would question you is if they see you having a hard time lifting your bag up to the overhead storage... If you're not an old tiny woman, that usually means your bag is waaaaay overloaded haha.

But yeah don't worry, you're not flying with an LCC, they most probably won't weigh or measure it.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by kaushik123
I wouldn't agree necessarily. Flights to/from India (MAA,BLR, DEL, BOM etc) are subject to special screening at SIN. In the waiting area SQ staff are always on the prowl with luggage tags looking for seeming overweight/big bags and enforcing the weight/size limit on cabin baggage.

I have also seen this scenario during peak summer season travel to/from SFO, when lot of Indian/HKG families make their way to Asia.
Never seen that. I was going in and out of DEL, BOM and MAA a few times this year already and Iam travelling with two hand carries every time. On check-in, yes, I see the staff struggeling with Indians bringing bulks of check-in luggage incl. flatscreen TVs. But hand-luggage was never enforced nor did anyone ask (me) any questions.

I had never any problem to find space in the overheads for my carry-ons to/from India and iam usually boarding late. The european bound flights are more of a problem and to my experience space can be really a problem. NYC might have a similar problem thats why they are enforcing it.

Last edited by SQ325; Jun 19, 2012 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
I can telling you that my experience when I bought my DSLR ever since 2007, I started traveling with 2 hand carries. 1 with my laptop & all the necessary chargers & adapters, another is my camera bag with 1 wide angle 10~22mm, 2 x tele with 18~200mm & 100~400mm. I had been on most of the major carriers (BA, CX, JL, KA, LH, QF, SQ, TG, & UA) in & out around the world in all F, J, & Y class without any problems.

But when recently back in Mar 2012 while I was doing a One World Circle Pacific trip, when I flown in QF from LAX to BNE, still without any problem, but when I departed out of BNE to SYD with another QF flight, now the problem came, it's no the airlines, it's the security agent that stop me before I hand in my 2 hand carries on to the X-ray belt, what she said that I can't have 2 bags, plus she weight each of my bag, both were 8kg & 9kg, I told her I'm on J Class, she insisted that I need to check-in 1 bag only, plus another hand carry need to be light up to less than 7kg, just like another QF F class passenger do, then I open 2 of my bags & shown it to her that all those are my important stuff which it's a must with me at all times, she just simply ignored & asked me to go back to the QF check-in counter to sort things out, so I went back to the QF 1st class check-in counter & trying to ask for assistance, they also said that they can't ask their station manager to write an exemption letter, but what they can do was asked me to handheld my laptop, so that I can put all the foreign currencies & other light important stuff moved it to my camera bags outer pocket, then I can check-in my laptop bag, with just the camera bag, over 1 to 2kg, QF supervisor can sign off on a QF luggage tag, which was attach it to my camera bag, so by the 2nd time I went thru security again, she let me thru, therefore just want to share with you guys that sometimes it wasn't just the airlines who looks after the 7kg rule, even the local airport authority does, beware of it...!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaushik123

Agreed 100%. Especially if the passenger is brown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.