Wiki Posts
Search

First trip on Air Singapore and to SIN

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by TekTrek
Hi All - in the next few weeks I'll embark on my first trip to Singapore and my first experience on Air Singapore. I'll be there for about 5 days for work. I'm hoping I can get some feedback as to what I can expect from Air Singapore, and from Singapore in general.

Flight Details:
EWR - SIN on Air Singapore, Business Class on the Airbus A380-500.

1) I hear this aircraft is all business class and very comfortable. Opinions?

2) What can I expect from the AVOD? Will I be set, or should I load up on my own content? I read that there is an input jack at the seat for your iPhone/iPad so you can play your own media.

3) I noticed I can select what I would like to eat for the various meals on the website. Pretty impressive - I've done my share of international travel, but have never seen this option. Recommendations?

4) I have a Verizon Droid Incredible 2 - can I expect this to work at all in Singapore (aside from wifi)? If not, recommendations? Get a pre-paid? Buy a cheap global phone (maybe not a smartphone)? This isn't going to be a regular trip for me.. just occasionally, but it would be worth having a phone I could use internationally for more than just this trip.

Thanks in advance for any input!

- TT
For a trip report, see -
From another website - http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...-to-singapore/.

You just need a GSM equipped phone. GSM works everywhere else outside the USA.

You may then just buy a prepaid SIM card to use. Verizon phones usually cannot handle GSM networks.

Wear light clothes. Its very hot and humid this time of year.

Enjoy your flights and experiences.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; May 30, 2012 at 7:15 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aster
..As for gum, I don't think you can bring in multiple packs, just one if it has already been opened.
Nah, they don't care. A fellow traveler of mine who's even a Singa citizen got 'caught' with a very large box of gums and they did not give a rat's fart about it.

As for the cigarettes you have to declare them all. But you live here too, you know how they act up if you declare anything .... takes forever and they rifle through everything. I'd rather take my chancs being caught now and then.
But OP keep in mind that they x-ray your luggage with some regularity and they will find cigarettes.

I'd stay away from anything to declare .. it's nothing but trouble here.
Originally Posted by TekTrek
..EWR - SIN on Air Singapore, Business Class on the Airbus A380-500..
Jealous. I'd love to travel so stylishly while gathering such fuzzy information .
Old May 31, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
How long would it take to declare additional bottles of booze and pay the duty on them? Is this a swift procedure or are we easily looking at adding an extra hour at Changi?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:48 am

How long would it take to declare additional bottles of booze and pay the duty on them? Is this a swift procedure or are we easily looking at adding an extra hour at Changi?
I did it twice.

The first time, it was for 6 bottles when I arrived just before midnight. The lady at customs was clearly irritated that I declared something, so instead of giving me the forms, she and a colleague went through everything in my two checked bags and inspected it.
After about 20 mins the boss came back, made me fill three forms, pay a very low customs duty (it was about 32 Singa Ruble for 6 bottles) and I was good to go.

The second time in the afternoon, I proactively opened the suitcase with the wine in it and declared that this was the only item subject to duty. It still took long as they took issue with other items I brought.

So now I aim at keeping my taxable items list short and within the limits.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
The second time in the afternoon, I proactively opened the suitcase with the wine in it and declared that this was the only item subject to duty. It still took long as they took issue with other items I brought.
What was the problem?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:23 am

What was the problem?
They had to get a sup to clear me which took some time. No idea where these guys and girls hang out at Changi !
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The 'low' customs duty is based on the alcohol content. Wine is fine. Harder booze is taxed a higher rate.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You can get a free CallCentric.com US number to setup to forward to your Singapore prepaid number so that US based people can get in touch with you.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The 'low' customs duty is based on the alcohol content. Wine is fine. Harder booze is taxed a higher rate.
While true ... you can still import the annual output of the Bailey's factory for what you pay for a second bottle of wine in Canada ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.