SQ embargo on O?

Old Feb 3, 12, 5:17 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
SQ embargo on O?

I can't seem to find O space on SQ on AC, UACO, US, A3.
(SQ11/12/25/26/317/318/319/320/321/322.)
Is there a reason why?
How else should I use points to go SIN-LON YQ free?
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 12, 6:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: LH FTL
Posts: 689
Yup, the embargo is in place, until April 1st I do believe, after which you can redeem F seats about 3 days before departure with significant availability left (the latter is my thinking, they may make it more strict than that)

Oh yeah, and no Suites, not now at least. That is 2 of 3 flights to LHR and your LAX/JFK flights (11/12/25/26)
aviationp is offline  
Old Feb 3, 12, 9:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Singapore / India
Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Posts: 626
I have the same thoughts too about last minute release of F-savers and probably no more than 1 seat.

in 2010, LAX had 2 F savers
In 2011, JFK had 1 F saver

Like in most economies, prices always rise, so I doubt 2012 redemptions will be better than 2011's despite their marketing for 'availability of savers'. So let's see: my guess is 1 F saver seat released 1 week before, the rest of the time, it will be waitlisted and the waitlist clears by tier-status. From what I read in other forms, this is probably similar to approach taken by LH?

But I believe business savers will be actually available. In the revised chart, they are way inflated relative to F.
SQueeze is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 4:22 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot in Asia
Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Posts: 25,846
Originally Posted by e-aviation View Post
..
Oh yeah, and no Suites, not now at least. That is 2 of 3 flights to LHR and your LAX/JFK flights (11/12/25/26)
SQ will never release Suites for their *A partners awards.. unless they can negotiate with them to be the same redemption level as Krisflyer .. which means 1 million miles for a oneway SIN-wherever award. I doubt anyone will pay that.
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:46 am
  #5  
soy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: various
Posts: 3,260
I suspect availability for * partners will be similiar to what used to exist on the 747 routes about 2yrs ago. I do not forsee a bonanza of availability after the upcoming changes.
soy is offline  
Old Feb 4, 12, 8:49 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
SQ will never release Suites for their *A partners awards.. unless they can negotiate with them to be the same redemption level as Krisflyer .. which means 1 million miles for a oneway SIN-wherever award. I doubt anyone will pay that.
Yet all the other carriers don't embargo SQ and SQ embargoes everyone else.....
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:43 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: LH FTL
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by SQueeze View Post
I have the same thoughts too about last minute release of F-savers and probably no more than 1 seat.

in 2010, LAX had 2 F savers
In 2011, JFK had 1 F saver

Like in most economies, prices always rise, so I doubt 2012 redemptions will be better than 2011's despite their marketing for 'availability of savers'. So let's see: my guess is 1 F saver seat released 1 week before, the rest of the time, it will be waitlisted and the waitlist clears by tier-status. From what I read in other forms, this is probably similar to approach taken by LH?

But I believe business savers will be actually available. In the revised chart, they are way inflated relative to F.
Well I always assumed that was for KF members, not for *A partners, unless that is what you are referring to
aviationp is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:46 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: LH FTL
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Yet all the other carriers don't embargo SQ and SQ embargoes everyone else.....
Generally it isn't about embargo, SQ just has paying Business and First class passengers nearly all the time, so they don't want to give a potential revenue seat to miles, UA/AA/whatever airline in the USA, probably dream of a situation like that.

The 340/77W/380 embargo was unique, but then again in terms of sleeping, those seats were far greater than any other business class seat, probably not a reason to eliminate it completely, maybe even more stingier but still. And it all comes down to the fact that SQ has this reputation of supreme service / whatever you want to call it (and probably the reason why you were looking at a lot of SQ routes, where TG would have probably had that availability somewhere in the network)
aviationp is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 4:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Posts: 3,011
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Yet all the other carriers don't embargo SQ and SQ embargoes everyone else.....
That's not true. LH is not giving their new F on the A380 to anyone else and availability on most other flights is also close to zero.
SMK77 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 8:30 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OSL/IAH/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 38,051
Originally Posted by SMK77 View Post
That's not true. LH is not giving their new F on the A380 to anyone else and availability on most other flights is also close to zero.
That is technically not an embargo. These seats are simply not offered as are suites and new C/F config to all but BD and LH.
weero is offline  
Old Feb 5, 12, 8:55 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 19,462
Originally Posted by SMK77 View Post
That's not true. LH is not giving their new F on the A380 to anyone else and availability on most other flights is also close to zero.
Tell that to our very own lucky9876coins.

Towards the end of last year I noticed that Lufthansa was releasing some first class award space to Star Alliance partners on the Airbus 380, so naturally I couldn't help but redeem some of my US Airways Dividend Miles for it.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 5, 12 at 9:04 am
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Feb 6, 12, 4:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,865
Originally Posted by SMK77 View Post
That's not true. LH is not giving their new F on the A380 to anyone else and availability on most other flights is also close to zero.
The A380 in F is is nice use of CO miles. On the one flight I had two seats, and could only cancel the duplicate seat at the airport. I sent letters, and called both CO & LH trying to cancel my duplicate seat. The guy who upgraded to my extra seat said he tried for months to get the seat. I told him that I tried for months to cancel the duplicate seat.

The LH A380 seats do show up on CO.
BF263533 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 12, 6:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Posts: 3,011
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
It's called a glitch. Happens quite frequently with SQ award inventory as well.

As a matter of fact, you would not get any A380 F with any program on LH. Even within Miles&More only HON and SEN can get those seats and the inventory is always zero.
SMK77 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 12, 6:36 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,996
Originally Posted by SMK77 View Post
It's called a glitch. Happens quite frequently with SQ award inventory as well.
So it's a glitch that Lufthansa has for months (and continues to) release Airbus 380 first class award space within a week of departure when the cabins are wide open, especially on the Frankfurt to Tokyo route?
lucky9876coins is offline  
Old Feb 6, 12, 11:29 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,894
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
So it's a glitch that Lufthansa has for months (and continues to) release Airbus 380 first class award space within a week of departure when the cabins are wide open, especially on the Frankfurt to Tokyo route?
I don't think it's a glitch. LH seems to be releasing A380 F seats on the routes that seem to have less F traffic and given travel downfalls in Japan, it seems NRT route fits this scenario well. And of course, as lucky indicated, LH A380 F awards are readily available on both CO and NH tools especially 2 weeks before the flight on NRT-FRA-NRT route. I have even seen SIN-FRA being available in F 2-3 days prior to departure on CO tool (cannot confirm with ANA tool since they only allow 7 days before departure searches). Heck, on CO tool, JFK-FRA-JFK is available on SQ's 388 in business 2-3 days prior to departure. But then again, I've seen some discrepancies between CO and ANA tools' LH F availability (as well as OZ and few other airlines) so whether these awards are truly bookable will only be reveals once ticketed and/or by calling CO.
brahms77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread