Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy seats on A380 Upper Deck

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Glad I've found this little thread, because having travelled the kangaroo route since 1985 in various different classes on 5 different airlines, I've never used SQ. I get my first chance this November, burning up the last of my BMI DC miles. Because its a redemption booking using DC, I was not able to use the SQ site to request a seat, so I tried giving them a ring. Lo and behold a very helpful agent was able to give me 79K upstairs. The emergency exits were not available to me even at a price, but I'm glad (based on what I've read here) I was able to get an upstairs window. Will wait with interest to see if request translates to reality and indeed to compare the SQ economy product with their competitors. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions
Old May 27, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aster
The alternatives don't seem too good though, even compared to the no-Y-in-upper-deck A380s.

Which coach product have you switched to?
Almost exclusively to OW - given the current pricing of premium Eco ex Europe, SQ simply is not competitive for me in any shape or form.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by 9V-SIA
The 77W and A380 have identical IFE
Only from the user interface perspective. None of the seats of the 380 has the nasty box mounted into your food space as it is done for the 77W.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
Almost exclusively to OW - given the current pricing of premium Eco ex Europe, SQ simply is not competitive for me in any shape or form.
Are you mainly looking at LHR-SIN or LHR-SIN-SYD? Do both BA and QF have similar promos?

I would definitely like to give OW a try as maintaining *A status just isn't going to happen with all those miles up for redemption. Now if I am going to pay then at least with OW I already have AY Silver...
Old May 28, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by aster
Are you mainly looking at LHR-SIN or LHR-SIN-SYD? Do both BA and QF have similar promos?
I mostly fly FRA-SIN-FRA and QF has excellent fares ex Europe pretty much all year long. I buy the tickets inversely and then just add my feeder from FRA (which mostly are trains these days as LH is simply not reliable enough, especially when it rains, snows, or is sunny, then they go WX in a heartbeat).

BA has decent promos ex Germany but not ex Switzerland but only to Oz, not so much to SIN. Their product feels a bit newer but QF is good enough for my needs.
I would definitely like to give OW a try as maintaining *A status just isn't going to happen with all those miles up for redemption. Now if I am going to pay then at least with OW I already have AY Silver...
Premium Coach fares count as higher tiers for BA and QF and as 150% points on AA, so they also make excellent collection opportunities. And with QF's change luggage allowance, I can now bring along two suitcases into Asia.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 9V-SIA
The 77W and A380 have identical IFE
Only from the user interface perspective. None of the seats of the 380 has the nasty box mounted into your food space as it is done for the 77W.
I just took SQ15 SFO-SINand there were no boxes under seats ABCD as far as i could tell (77W)

Loved the IFE but I sure missed UA E+ and a decent stopover timing. wow that was painful.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Not on the 77W but there is on the 777-300 & 777-200/ER
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I just took SQ15 SFO-SINand there were no boxes under seats ABCD as far as i could tell (77W)

Loved the IFE but I sure missed UA E+ and a decent stopover timing. wow that was painful.
I once found the legroom in column C very odd and hence always believed the SeatGuru explanation that this was due to the IFE. But it sees that the 77W does not have IFE boxes.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:05 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Nice!

Does anyone know on which routes the 'crippled' new A380s will be deployed? The ones which have no coach seats in the upper deck?
From what a friend told me (working on SQ), the all Business class UD are on:

SIN-ZRH
SIN-CDG
SIN-LHR
SIN-SYD
SIN-HKG
and maybe NRT-LAX

There might be other routes though...

I booked a flight back home to Switzerland in 2 weeks and chose to fly SIN-FRA-GVA instead of SIN-ZRH-GVA Simply because I wanted to be on the upper deck. I don't mind the connection at FRA.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by enelym1978
..I booked a flight back home to Switzerland in 2 weeks and chose to fly SIN-FRA-GVA instead of SIN-ZRH-GVA Simply because I wanted to be on the upper deck. I don't mind the connection at FRA.
Thanks for that input. How can you book SIN-FRA-ZRH?

SIN-ZRH is my "home route" too and I hate the lower deck seating.

This year, I exclusively booked cheapo Biz tickets or then FRA-SIN on One World. But my work contract urges me very badly to fly SQ ...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:14 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Thanks for that input. How can you book SIN-FRA-ZRH?

SIN-ZRH is my "home route" too and I hate the lower deck seating.

This year, I exclusively booked cheapo Biz tickets or then FRA-SIN on One World. But my work contract urges me very badly to fly SQ ...
I went through my company TA. Maybe you should try booking by calling SQ? When I look up SIN-GVA, the website does offer me the choice between ZRH, MUC or FRA. But are you really willing to add a stop over just to fly UD?

I fly to GVA so it does not really matter, as I have one stop over anyway, no matter if I go through Germany or ZRH.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
SIN-LHR
As this is of interest to me

I like the Economy Cabin Upstairs, as there has been such a mad emphasis on the seats there, I've found it full and the downstairs back cabin almost empty - and secured a row of 4 to myself there whilst upstairs was full (much harder to switch seats from upstairs to downstairs!). A seat upstairs does not compare to the Y Class 'bed'!

Anyway, as SQ switch to 3 out of 4 services being A380, a couple of random search dates has found:

20 & 21 Dec & 20 Mar 13:
LHR-SIN - SQ 319 Y Upstairs / SQ 317 & 321 & All J Upstairs
SIN-LHR - SQ 308 Y Upstairs / SQ 318 & 322 & All J Upstairs

So as currently scheduled if you are desperate for Y Upstairs on the LHR route, book SQ 308 & 319.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver

SIN-ZRH
SIN-CDG
SIN-LHR
SIN-SYD
SIN-HKG
and maybe NRT-LAX

There might be other routes though...
Any booking you make with SQ will indicate which aircraft you're on at the initial flight selection stage....if you click on the blue (airbus industrie A380-800) under the flight number, it will show you either "Layout 1" OR "all Business Class Upper Deck". Of course this is no guarantee that by the time you come to fly, you'll still have the same aircraft
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:47 am

I went through my company TA. Maybe you should try booking by calling SQ? When I look up SIN-GVA, the website does offer me the choice between ZRH, MUC or FRA. But are you really willing to add a stop over just to fly UD? ...
Not on my own dime. I now much prefer QF and BA over SQ anyway.

But for work I get often pressured to fly SQ ... and I really despise the lower deck.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
I still dont get it. The lower deck SQ A380 is just like QF A380 Y and Y on both BA and QF 747's.

TBH i would rather pay extra and fly SQ Y over BA and QF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.