Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy seats on A380 Upper Deck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by weero
... if I cannot get the UD, I do not book SQ ... it is that simple.
I agree in principle... But how can you be sure about that at the time of booking?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest & HiltonHHonors.
I've done a bit of delving and have discovered that the UD on the A380 is solely for Business Class. (HKG - SIN & SIN - HKG.)
Still, it seemed a nice idea at the time but my discovery has put paid to going upstairs!
A huge thanks to all.
Cypress.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cypress
I've done a bit of delving and have discovered that the UD on the A380 is solely for Business Class. (HKG - SIN & SIN - HKG.)
Still, it seemed a nice idea at the time but my discovery has put paid to going upstairs!
A huge thanks to all.
Cypress.
any idea why they have 2 different configurations? It didn't show it on Seat Guru
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
any idea why they have 2 different configurations? It didn't show it on Seat Guru
It wouldn't be the first time that seatguru.com has been less than up-to-date on SQ layouts.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by RBH58
It wouldn't be the first time that seatguru.com has been less than up-to-date on SQ layouts.
I once informed them about an error on their seat map and they didn't even bother upgrading it...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: KF
Just took A380 UD seat 71K (preferred seat) on LAX-NRT-SIN two days ago. It was the best seat of my life. Go grab it, 50 bucks for a long haul flight is worth every cents of it.The aisle seat beside me was empty so when the lights went off,I have my own world, like having my own room. Too bad, I checked in my sleeping bag, I should have it laid there . The stewardess visits me from time to time and alway says " how are u doing over there"? and offer drinks almost every hour or less. It was amazing...Way to go SQ!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by wanderer9020
Just took A380 UD seat 71K (preferred seat) on LAX-NRT-SIN two days ago. It was the best seat of my life. Go grab it, 50 bucks for a long haul flight is worth every cents of it..
I entirely agree. The UD of the SQ A380 is the best non-PE coach out there.

This is why it is such a shame that they use the new downgraded A380 on the ZRH route now ... I refuse the LD rides with no real good seats available at all .
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I'm flying out of SIN to AKL on a 777 and have reserved a window seat towards the back. The last time I looked, no one had taken the other 2 seats.
As it's a night flight, I shall raise the arm rests @:-) and sleep well if I'm the only one in that row.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
On my last flight in econ I had the whole row to myself and was able to enjoy some good sleep, but many times before that I had my hopes up due to the seatmap... only to see the entire plane packed.

What you're seeing is people who have specific seats allocated. Those who have tickets for that flight without exact seats assigned will not show up on that seatmap.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
On my last flight in econ I had the whole row to myself and was able to enjoy some good sleep, but many times before that I had my hopes up due to the seatmap... only to see the entire plane packed.

What you're seeing is people who have specific seats allocated. Those who have tickets for that flight without exact seats assigned will not show up on that seatmap.
One can but hope. According to seatguru the seat at the end of my row isn't recommended. That should put prospective passengers off, hopefully!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by aster

Yep it is ways too risky to gamble for.

And with current discount PE seats ex Europe on OW carriers, I have temporarily suspended my SQ flying until further notice.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by weero
And with current discount PE seats ex Europe on OW carriers, ....
Could you please share which OW carriers are these please so that we could benefit from the discount?

Last edited by anaidross; Feb 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by anaidross
Could you please share which OW carriers are these please so that we could benefit from the discount?
I bough some very cheap PE flights EU-SIN on QF and BA.

QF has promos now and then, BA you can reliably get cheap ex DE. not so much the smaller countries.

BR used to have cheap PE all the time but that seems to be gone and SK asks unreasonable price for their Eco Extra.

I paid between 1050 and 1400 Euros return for these rides.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Curious if SQ books the 'old' version 1 A380 to 100% in Economy... what happens to the upper deck passengers if the 'new' version 2 A380 is subbed for the route?

Looking into booking LAX-NRT for a flight in Nov but unsure whether I should book upper deck...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jlin011
Curious if SQ books the 'old' version 1 A380 to 100% in Economy... what happens to the upper deck passengers if the 'new' version 2 A380 is subbed for the route?

Looking into booking LAX-NRT for a flight in Nov but unsure whether I should book upper deck...
You will upgraded to the Business cabin with an economy meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.