SQ A380 Business Class Seat Questions

Old Jul 24, 12, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by harvardalumna View Post
Guy Betsy,, Thank you so much for the information. Really appreciate it. I went to seatguru and was looking at the upper deck that has the economy towards the back of the plane. Yes, I know SQ 2 is not the A380. We're familiar with SQ 2. I'm a little nervous with the A380 as we're virtually "newbie" A380 passengers. I have no idea which J seats are preferrable.
I'll get 2 middle seats for us, in this case. My little one is used to having her own window seat in First on SQ 1,2 (77W) and SQ 11,12 (when it was still the 747). I think I'm more nervous than her!

Thank you again, Guy Betsy, for your help.
Well, then the little Princess simply must have her own window seat then. If you're quite comfortable with one behind the other, then you're ok. Know that SQ keeps their front cabin pretty warm so the further back you are, the cooler it gets. I like the last row of the all J upper deck as its just one seat by themselves in a row. Your daughter can have say 95A and you , the aisle across from her. But the only problem with the bulkhead seats is that the TV screen is higher than eye level.

When are you flying to SFO?
Old Jul 26, 12, 11:22 pm

Sorry for the delayed response, Guy Betsy. I was on call and had a couple of crazy days. We're flying out on Sept 10. I've not chosen the seats yet. Rows 96 is the last row, so 95 is the second last row (that was what I was told). I was told that the A380 has J class on the main deck and upper deck. Is it better to get the main deck in this case? I'm wondering if I should do SQ2 all the way instead...a little stressed out :P Still, Thank You for taking the time to help me with my question. Really appreciate it.
Old Jul 28, 12, 4:20 am

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by harvardalumna View Post
Sorry for the delayed response, Guy Betsy. I was on call and had a couple of crazy days. We're flying out on Sept 10. I've not chosen the seats yet. Rows 96 is the last row, so 95 is the second last row (that was what I was told). I was told that the A380 has J class on the main deck and upper deck. Is it better to get the main deck in this case? I'm wondering if I should do SQ2 all the way instead...a little stressed out :P Still, Thank You for taking the time to help me with my question. Really appreciate it.
As mentioned by other posters, there are two SQ 380 versions for seating, but if you are in J, then you will be on the upper deck for SQ, regardless. It is if you are flying Y, then you may have a choice of decks. I say 'may' because the newer 380s were delievered with all business class upper deck, to the dismay of many who preferred the option of a less cramped 2-4-2 Y rear cabin setup in the older 380s .

My own opinion about being in the back of the plane, but you or others may disagree: I like being closer to the front as it usually means that you'll be behind less people at immigration when deplaning and also less pronounced feelings of aircraft movements when the aircraft is yawing or banking.
Old Jul 29, 12, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Silver
Traveling on the A380 in J with an infant

Hello Everyone. I am just trying to get some information and suggestions... I'm starting to plan a trip to NRT and considering a couple of options...
1. SQ LAX-NRT A380
or
2. NH SEA-NRT 787

I post here to to get your thoughts on the best spot for two adults and what will be about a 9 month old infant.

For many years I've been one of those guys that always gets frustrated when a child is in Business Class and disturbs other passengers... but now that we have one on the way and we still intend to travel, I want to disturb my fellow travelers as LITTLE as possible, while at the same time traveling in comfort on SQ J or NH J.

The A380 that currently flies between LAX-NRT I believe is the one that has Y on the top deck as well. Do you think it would be best to park towards the back of the J cabin so it disturbs J passengers the least?
Or would 17K and 18K be best since it has an option for a baby bassinet?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank You.

Last edited by Lanny; Jul 29, 12 at 4:15 pm Reason: Correction
Old Aug 2, 12, 8:04 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
If it were just a matter of cabin experience, I think SQ J seat is the best J seat around, so that would decide it for me. Granted, I have never flown ANA J on the 787, but judging from pix online, and the 2-2-2 config versus SQs 1-2-1 config, I don't think the ANA J hard product can be better than the SQ J hard product.

If we were talking F, I have flown both ANA and SQ F and I would fly ANA F, hands down.
Old Aug 5, 12, 5:24 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
ANA's 787 has 1-2-1 and 1-1-1 layout in alternating rows. It's their new "business staggered" seats, and it's terrific. While the SQ seats are wider in J, I find NH's BS seats to be far more comfortable, and its soft product to/from Japan is, in my own opinion, superior to SQ.
Old Aug 12, 12, 8:47 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
Which seats do you prefer and why?
UA--softer and don't require a manual flip over
9W--same reason
NZ--softer and more comfortable, can be reclined at takeoff and landing
CX--softer seat, much more comfortable for sitting
LH--even though not lie flat, much more comfortable for sitting, and can get better sleep in this angle flat seat than I can in SQ's totally flat, hard seat
AC--same as 9W

For what it's worth, I Do rank SQ's business seat higher than the economy products on almost all of the above airlines
Old Aug 22, 12, 12:29 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
I know this is an extraordinarily simple question - so please bear with me. I'll be coming back on a RTW on SQ12 back from SIN through NRT to LAX- on this long of flight I want to be prepared.

How do you operate the lie-flat mechanism on the SQ A380 biz class seat? Last year UA dropped me on a SQ A380 between NRT to SIN after there were IRROPS on SFO to NRT. After that disaster, I was a train wreck in the middle of the night and had no patience. It was so dark and I was so tired I looked like a caveman discovering stone. I ended up passing out and waking up in Singapore with a crooked neck.

So what is the deal, I heard there is some kind of ripcord to pull but I couldn't find it. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

The fact I have searched both FT and the Internet for this without an answer makes me feel like a pretty solid luddite.
Old Aug 22, 12, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
They show a video for this very purpose just after take-off, or you simply ask a FA to assist.
Old Aug 24, 12, 7:18 am

Hello katan, I do not remember where I got this info. There is a kind of pull-up lever in back of the seat close to isle side. It worked for me as a first timer.
As Wan1dap's advice, do not be shy to ask FA as they are always happy to assist you.

Enjoy your flight
Old Aug 24, 12, 8:15 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
I struggle my first time on the SQ C seats too. Just call a FA to help - it is SQ after all
Old Aug 25, 12, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by calvinoeh View Post
I struggle my first time on the SQ C seats too. Just call a FA to help - it is SQ after all
In my prev 2 flights (my first on SQ J on A380), I had wanted to try 'play' w the seats myself,. However, the FAs immediately offered their assistance each time they see me trying to convert the seat to bed and bed to seat.
Old Aug 25, 12, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by slacker View Post
In my prev 2 flights (my first on SQ J on A380), I had wanted to try 'play' w the seats myself,. However, the FAs immediately offered their assistance each time they see me trying to convert the seat to bed and bed to seat.
When I did this by myself for the first time in J, the lady in 15F (I was in 15K) asked me to show her how to do it by herself. While I was showing it to her FA noticed that, rushed in, and said "Mr sushiinSYD, you took my job!" in a humorous manner. I said "Well, we help each other. Would it not be a good idea?" She smiled and shrugged her shoulder saying "Well then, I owe you one, Mr sushiinSYD" I just loved their hospitality and a sense of humor. And of course, she did looked after us all very well indeed.
Old Aug 27, 12, 3:36 am
APx

Programs: M&M FTL, BA Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Blue
A380 C-Seat Q's!

Hi FT'ers,

Just a quick question;

I have a RTN flight in C from ZRH-SIN and am just confirming my seats (A380-800 config 2). Flights pretty full for the return leg (SQ346) and I have a couple of window seat options:

27K or 93A or 95A...

Can anyone recommend which one is best? I'm concerned the proximity to the lavatories in 27K could be a pain?

Appreciate your feedback in advance.

Thanks, APx
Old Nov 1, 12, 2:47 am

A380 Business Class bulkhead seats rows 11 and 18

I've currently reserved 14k on SQ1/2 SFO/HKG/SFO.

Does anyone have experience with 18D/F?

Do those seats have better legroom in bed mode as they are next to the bulkhead?

11K is also available on my flight. How is the seat itself? I've read it's narrower than the others. I'm not concerned about the lack of windows.

Many thanks in advance!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: