Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ A380 Business Class Seat Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by aster

Does anyone who has flown both the SQ and QF A380 share the above poster's opinion of the QF hard product being better?
I would agree with this. The service / food is far better on SQ but I was completely underwhelmed by the unnecessarily wide, hard seat/bed. Each to their own.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by aster
Does anyone who has flown both the SQ and QF A380 share the above poster's opinion of the QF hard product being better?
It depends on what is important to you.

I have flown both SQ A380 J and QF A380 J many times and would choose SQ in a heartbeat. Every time. You can argue over the relative merits of each airline's soft product e.g. service, food etc, but the SQ seats kick are extraordinarily good and at the end of the day that is what matters most to me.

For me, all I want to do is be able to work in private, sleep in private, and not be disturbed by another passenger next to me - and definitely not have another passenger climbing over me. QF J seats are not good on any of these counts, SQ is perfect on all of these counts.

Also although I am certainly not a big guy I find the QF seats quite narrow and nearly impossible to sleep on comfortably (especially on your side), whereas the SQ seats actually feel like a bed where you can stretch out a bit and make yourself very comfortable.

Comparing other aspects of the SQ vs QF product:
- IFE: Qantas wins
- Food & beverages: close call but I'd say Qantas wins
- Airport lounges: if you're QF Platinum or OWE and can access F lounge and/or travelling out of SYD or MEL then QF definitely wins, otherwise tie
- Service: I'd say SQ is a clear winner
- Onboard lounge: QF wins on the 380 - I quite like being able to stretch my legs or sit and work in the small lounge at the front
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Seating advice - J on A380 JFK-FRA

First off, yes, I have read the post in the sticky FAQ on the best seats. And I've looked thru relevant posts. Looking for advice on seating for a couple in J on the A380 config with Y at the back end of the upper deck. This is the seat map as it stands right now:

We currently have 14K/15K as I though it would be nice to have a window. However, I'm concerned about the proximity of the lav to 15K. The videos I've seen show a very small ledge/shelf between the lav wall and 15K. Is that enough to isolate the sound?

Also, I see that the rear business cabin is far more empty than the front cabin. Would I be better off there? The only reason I was avoiding it is because I read on seatexpert that all the windows there are misaligned. Finally, I see that 18D/18F are open. I've rad that these can be nice because you don't have to sleep at an angle. Are there any disadvantages (other than losing the window)?

If it helps, I'd say our main goal on the flight is to get some sleep prior to arrival in FRA.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
As the A380 is very quiet, it does not matter where you sit. I like it further back and near the doors. Cos SQ does tend to keep the cabin rather warm and the further forward you are, the hotter it gets!

Back where the loos are, are fine. You really can't hear much especially if you're watching a movie on the noise cancelling headphones or when sleeping.

I don't understand what you mean by 'windows misaligned'. You will get a window / or two with each seat. The only row without a window is row 11A/K. Row 18 D/F are the bassinet seats. Yes you can sleep straight.. but the TV screen is also at a higher level instead of at eye level.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
As the A380 is very quiet, it does not matter where you sit. I like it further back and near the doors. Cos SQ does tend to keep the cabin rather warm and the further forward you are, the hotter it gets!

Back where the loos are, are fine. You really can't hear much especially if you're watching a movie on the noise cancelling headphones or when sleeping.

I don't understand what you mean by 'windows misaligned'. You will get a window / or two with each seat. The only row without a window is row 11A/K. Row 18 D/F are the bassinet seats. Yes you can sleep straight.. but the TV screen is also at a higher level instead of at eye level.
Thanks for the info, especially about the cabin warmth. That alone is enough reason to move back! We both like a cooler environment to sleep in.

As far as the misaligned window, I was going based on the seatexpert comment "obstructed window view" which I interpreted as a misaligned window. I guess maybe not.

http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/272/Si...rbus_A380-800/
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:50 pm

I have tried on 14K (on all J upper deck) and 15A (J and Y upper deck).

At 15A, I do not find any problem despite the proximity to the toilet.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:51 pm

Checking A380 plane type

Sorry if this is the wrong place for posting.

I'm flying SQ334 next January from SIN-CDG. The plane type is listed as an A380 but I want to know which configuration of A380 it is. Any easy way to check? Also, any way to choose SQ seats online if I booked through UA?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:53 pm

A380-Business Class seats selection help, please.

Hi,
My preschooler and I will be taking the A380, business. We've never tried business before, just the suites. Can someone please recommend which business seats are preferrable?

Sorry to bother and Thank You in advance.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to SQ Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyerquacker
Sorry if this is the wrong place for posting.

I'm flying SQ334 next January from SIN-CDG. The plane type is listed as an A380 but I want to know which configuration of A380 it is. Any easy way to check? Also, any way to choose SQ seats online if I booked through UA?

Thanks!
You need the SQ pnr for that and go to singaporeair.com and log in using the SQ PNR only. UA can give that to you. The SIN-CDG flight is all J on upperdeck.

There are numerous threads on same subject on this forum.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harvardalumna
Hi,
My preschooler and I will be taking the A380, business. We've never tried business before, just the suites. Can someone please recommend which business seats are preferrable?

Sorry to bother and Thank You in advance.

Its not a bother, but you must give us more information !

What route? When? How old? What do you want and expect?
Note that without knowing the above, we cannot 'guess' ..as there are 2 A380 types out there.

There are so so many threads on this subject - on which seats to take. Please do a search...

For your perusal - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...ml#post9833941
and basically this thread - read previous posts

And you may check out the seats on the 2 A380 configurations here -
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sin...nformation.php

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jul 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have merged several threads asking about SQ J class seat questions on the A380 and thought its better if all are in one thread. I've also stuck a sticky here and if anyone in the future asks similar questions, you may redirect them here.

Thank you.

Guy Betsy
Singapore Airlines Krisflyer forum co-mod
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:40 pm

Thank you very much, Guy Betsy. Sorry for being too brief and not providing details. My bad. And goodness! I didn't know there are 2 types of A380! Have to check seatguru!

We're on SQ 856, SIN-HKG and then SQ 2, HKG-SFO. We've only tried suites from LAX. My little one is 4, and I'm not expecting much, just something more comfortable (?) and also perhaps allowing for occasional scurrying about. It's a short flight, still, I'm nervous as I've only been on the A380 once.

Sorry for asking a question that's been asked before. A little embarrassed here!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harvardalumna
Thank you very much, Guy Betsy. Sorry for being too brief and not providing details. My bad. And goodness! I didn't know there are 2 types of A380! Have to check seatguru!

We're on SQ 856, SIN-HKG and then SQ 2, HKG-SFO. We've only tried suites from LAX. My little one is 4, and I'm not expecting much, just something more comfortable (?) and also perhaps allowing for occasional scurrying about. It's a short flight, still, I'm nervous as I've only been on the A380 once.

Sorry for asking a question that's been asked before. A little embarrassed here!
SQ 856 has the all J class on the Upper Deck.
SQ 2 is a 77W and not an A380.
As for the little one is 4, I would suggest you getting the middle seats then its 2 seats together.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:46 am

Guy Betsy,, Thank you so much for the information. Really appreciate it. I went to seatguru and was looking at the upper deck that has the economy towards the back of the plane. Yes, I know SQ 2 is not the A380. We're familiar with SQ 2. I'm a little nervous with the A380 as we're virtually "newbie" A380 passengers. I have no idea which J seats are preferrable.
I'll get 2 middle seats for us, in this case. My little one is used to having her own window seat in First on SQ 1,2 (77W) and SQ 11,12 (when it was still the 747). I think I'm more nervous than her!

Thank you again, Guy Betsy, for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.