Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Another lost luggage on F from SQ Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,

I traveled on F on SQ 26 to JFK and my luggage is lost again. I need help and have got fed up with no service on ground from SQ even for premium paying passenger who is also Solitaire.

I need help from to find out;

1. What are my options as Solitaire? Daily allowance in NYC, can I get replacement for wardrobe to perform business as they trace my luggage? How much I can get?

2. What are options for lost luggage as compensation?

I am seriously considering getting out of flying SQ again. Sad to see after being a Solitaire for 15 long years they do not care....
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Surely you have travel insurance?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by mrakant
I traveled on F on SQ 26 to JFK and my luggage is lost again. I need help and have got fed up with no service on ground from SQ even for premium paying passenger who is also Solitaire.

I need help from to find out;

1. What are my options as Solitaire? Daily allowance in NYC, can I get replacement for wardrobe to perform business as they trace my luggage? How much I can get?

2. What are options for lost luggage as compensation?

I am seriously considering getting out of flying SQ again. Sad to see after being a Solitaire for 15 long years they do not care....

Airlines have a bad habit of trying to keep the damages as low as possible, hence no one is telling you anything.

You don't need any travel insurance, just some cash or a credit card.

Four hours after your arrival you can buy anything that you need ranging from a tooth brush to underwear to shirts, trousers, jackets, shoes.

The official limit that SQ has to reimburse you for is capped at roughly 2.000 SGD - and that's the same wether the luggage shows up or remains missing.

Being a Solitaire, SQ will be very generous and fast in looking at your receipts and getting you your money back. Should your suitcase not show up, I would let them know what you packed and let them deal with it.

Stop venting, start shopping and enjoy New York :-)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
ANd whilst you're shopping you could check these out:

http://globalbagtag.com/
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Answer from SQ

SQ station manager replied I am only entitled to 400 USD and 250 for lost luggage even being a Solitaire. This should tell all of us what is going on with SQ and loyalty is least of their priority now.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:41 am

SQ station manager replied I am only entitled to 400 USD and 250 for lost luggage even being a Solitaire. This should tell all of us what is going on with SQ and loyalty is least of their priority now.
Isn't that the standard allowance for F pax (without PPS status) too?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Email reply from SQ

1. Correct it clearly shows loyalty has NO value in SQ

2. I am enclosing below email from station manager in JFK and regret very poor service ( same as we get from a normal US based airlines)

Date: December 18, 2011 10:46:53 PM EST
To: Arun
Subject: Re: First class baggage lost SQ 26

Dear Mr Kant,

My apologies for what you experienced on your flight with us.

As spoken, we will contact my counterparts in Singapore to search for your baggage. I will forward them the description of your baggage, and I will keep you updated on the outcome.

As your bag was not delivered to you here at JFK, there will be a payment of USD $250

Regarding your suit, please proceed to purchase a suit not exceeding USD $400. Please retain and forward the receipts to us.

Again Sir, my apologies for your experience with us.

Warm Regards,
Andy

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:17 am Reason: Removed name and email of airline rep
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:23 am

Could you perhaps try contacting your PPS coordinator that might perhaps be able to escalate the matter further. Not familiar with JFK, but if he is indeed the Station Manager (which I think he is), then I guess there is only so much your PPS coordinator can do, unless he/she requests action from someone higher up the hierarchy.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

I am escalating it but they are not bothered....strange is SQ Singapore office said they have located the bag but JFK lst and found says they cannot find it. Mr. Andy the station manager still has no update....so much or a premium airlines.

I do hope this will make other people understand more about SQ and how passengers are treated.....loyalty has NO rewards!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
please proceed to purchase a suit not exceeding USD $400.
LOL. And we're talking about a First Class passenger here.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:43 am

On retrospect, now that you mentioned his name, I remember him as the SM who chose to op-up 2 pax from J to F on SQ25 during the period of Hurricane Irene to FRA instead of me just because I was making my way to SIN instead. I spoke to the CSS when she sat at the jumpseat during taxi and realised that there was a grand total of ZERO *A status pax in J that evening. I was SQ*G then.

I don't know if it was a technical limitation but he could have just gave me the op-up on my first sector to FRA and have me return to my J seat on the 2nd sector to SIN.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:30 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Sorry to hear about your experience... mind you, this happen to any other airline too... lost bags happen every single day, we'd be surprised to see the stats.

However, do other airlines really give more compensation to their top FF customers? Not sure... in Europe, these are regulated and the compensation is driven by some rule books if you're flying out of the EU (something like that) and it's a pretty good compensation scheme.
For the rest of the world, can anyone confirm or experienced a better compensation rate for being a premium FF customer? It would just be interesting to see. I'm talking about other major airlines (LH, AA, BA, CX, UA).

$250 sounds very very cheap though for a lost bag...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
What is this pathetic rant about? Read my post and proceed.

250 USD in an upfront payment that you can spend on whatever you want.

It's very funny that the station manager is 'approving' an amount to be spent on a suit.

Your entitlement is clear and you have to deal with this yourself and claim from SQ later. This is common practice and has nothing to do with you being such an ueber-important customer.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by enelym1978
$250 sounds very very cheap though for a lost bag...
Surely compensation does depend ultimately on if the bag is lost forever or just delayed? $250 upfront for a delay seems reasonable, further compensation would surely follow if bag was lost permanently.

I found SQ (at SIN) dealt with some delayed luggage very well, for this PPS (and partner, also PPS), after it missed connection in LHR (WAW-LHR-SIN J award booking made through BD). Even though we live in Singapore, we had 2.5 hr connection at SIN - to MEL - using a separate SQ ticket, with bags not thru-checked. However, they happily sent bags through to MEL on the following flight, and gave us more than adequate compensation to grab a taxi to home/back to get some more clothes. As always in these situations YMMV. But heard of similar experiences to OP for elites on other programs as well.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
As someone has already posted, travel insurance will well and truly cover this contingency and far more generously than that what is offered by the airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.