Wiki Posts
Search

SQ C award inventory on ICN-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
SQ C award inventory on ICN-SIN

I booked a US award from PHX to SIN in C using several * partners for myself and my partner. Due to a schedule change, I need to rebook a segment from ICN-SIN. I’m noticing on this route they only have one open C seat on each flight, for almost any date I randomly checked. I can’t seem to find a single flight on this route with 2 C award seats. Do they typically only offer one at a time? If I change us to this flight and book one in C and the other in Y how likely is it another C seat will open up? There is an OZ option with two seats, but that leaves us in the airport for 12 hours, which we are already doing on the way home. The trip isn’t until May, so we have some time, but I’d really hate for one of us to be in Y on a flight of that length. Any experiences with this?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I'd suggest your question is better off in the SQ forum as folks there can better attest to SQ policy and practice.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:41 pm

I have heard that for certain routes, SQ only releases 1 or 2 seats at a time. The way to get more seats is to hold and confirm one of them, then SQ may release another one.

There is no guarantee that another seat will be released though. If you can find a sympathetic agent, you can see if they can hold one seat and check again to see if SQ will release another (may or may not work, depending on the delay interval).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am moving to SQ forum as suggested.

Markie - Moderator, *A
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If you have to change flights due to a schedule change, then you should not be restricted to reward seats, US should be able to give
you any open seats.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
If you have to change flights due to a schedule change, then you should not be restricted to reward seats, US should be able to give you any open seats.
US Airways might try - only if SQ has open inventory to other carriers. US must therefore liase with SQ over this.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Not sure if the schedule change is in your schedule or the airline schedule. Assuming its the former and you do ultimately need two award seats to do this, here is my experience with this on SQ, using both KF miles and other *A miles.

In general, I have found that on flights within Asia, SQ will almost immediately release another seat or two when the flight is within about a 60 day window and they are still selling seats in that cabin. It's almost immediate if it is going to happen. I recently did this to get 5 awards seats DPS-SIN-SGN when only 2 were showing. I just kept booking and going back and within about 5-10 minutes another 2 seats would be there. I've had similar experiences on other intra-Asia routes, but never had to do this with ICN so cannot specifically comment on that.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: Flyer Silver Elite;Golden Circle; Club Carlton;Hyatt; Hilton; Priority Club;Marriott;GHA
Is there a way on line to check if an award seat is available on a flt?
Have had poor results with calling KF initially before purchasing ticket.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jrn1822
Is there a way on line to check if an award seat is available on a flt?
Have had poor results with calling KF initially before purchasing ticket.
ANA.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry to bring up an old thread but SQ ever release 77W seats on this route? I know they don't on the longhaul 77W, 345 or 380 flights, but I know they do open availability on flights intra Asia (maybe just the 772/3 and A333). ANA tool doesn't really help with this.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
Sorry to bring up an old thread but SQ ever release 77W seats on this route? I know they don't on the longhaul 77W, 345 or 380 flights, but I know they do open availability on flights intra Asia (maybe just the 772/3 and A333). ANA tool doesn't really help with this.
Which route? SFO-ICN?

"I know they don't on the longhaul" You got it right the first time. No.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
Which route? SFO-ICN?
Sorry should have been more specific. The route in the thread title ICN-SIN or even NRT-SIN, PEK-SIN, HKG-SIN. Just wondering if I can experience their longhaul J on an intra asia award flight with UA miles. I also think this is no, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by PHLyer82
Sorry should have been more specific. The route in the thread title ICN-SIN or even NRT-SIN, PEK-SIN, HKG-SIN. Just wondering if I can experience their longhaul J on an intra asia award flight with UA miles. I also think this is no, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
No.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
No.
thanks for the info
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
There is some history to this:

When SQ rolled out the new Biz on 77W and A380 aircraft, they got an exceptional approval from *A not to offer those seats to partners as they invested heavily into the new product and even charged their own members twice for those seats.

Now that the 'new' seats are not that new anymore, own members can book those seats for the regular price and SQ opened up inventory to partners some weeks back as well.

Due to an overwhelming success of that very first day of opening up inventory, SQ paniced and closed all doors again. It will be a matter of time till Biz seats on 77W and A380 will be up for grabs again.

Note that the ANA tool is not reliable as they have hard-coded a block of those seats into their system. ANA only shows Biz on non-77W, non-345 and non-A380 aircraft (aka regional business).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.