Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles and More meets SQ :-)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Location: ZRH - Zurich Switzerland. I like my local Airport. Wake-up at 0500uhr. Airside and through Security 80 minutes later after Shower, Breakfast and 10km Train ride. That is good!
Programs: Miles and More FQTV - 80% LX Swiss, 20% LH Lufthansa segments
Miles and More meets SQ :-)

Hi,

When Miles and More meets Krysflyer - it's not "When Harry Met Sally"

We have booked SQ to fly ZRH (Zurich, Switzerland) to Australia return and input our LX (Swiss International Airlines) Miles & More membership numbers. Sure we booked months in advance, sure we got the lowest available tickets, ca. 6650 CHF total (7300 USD) for a family of 4 from Switzerland to Australia.

We have now found out that SQ give ZERO miles for our particular tickets.
ZERO was a bit of a shock!!

Even if you fly the cheapest fare on Swiss, you get a nominal 125 miles and need 1 less flight to acquire the next status.

Is this Krysflyer Policy to award NOTHING at all for cheapest fare.
Surely now SQ is in STAR Alliance, the earning of Miles would be consistent across all Carriers and Selling Classes. Right?

Hey, we might have bought the cheapest fares, but 7300 USD is a LOT of money in anyone's book! To get absolutely nothing in terms of recognition?
We say that is "hinterlistig" which is disingenuous in English.

Sorry for English errors, I am trying my best everytime!

Last edited by MAN-MAN; Oct 21, 2011 at 4:49 am Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by MAN-MAN
We have booked SQ to fly ZRH (Zurich, Switzerland) to Australia return and input our LX (Swiss International Airlines) Miles & More membership numbers. Sure we booked months in advance, sure we got the lowest available tickets, ca. 6650 CHF total (7300 USD) for a family of 4 from Switzerland to Australia.

Even if you fly the cheapest fare on Swiss, you get a nominal 125 miles and need 1 less flight to acquire the next status.

Surely now SQ is in STAR Alliance, the earning of Miles would be consistent across all Carriers and Selling Classes. Right? ...
Look on the bright side. You got one of the best possible Y product possible for such a long trip. The Food/IFE/Service were for sure the equivalent of LH BiZ.

Miles, well, that's the downside of flying SQ cheap(er) Y fares.
G, N, Q, T or V , cheapest Y fares on SQ do not earn on M&M
They are also non-earning on Krisflyer (KF)

Both programs are aligned and do not earn, that's it. I guess it's got to do with SQ not paying for any miles accrued on both M&M and KF on cheap(er) Y fares. Take it as it is.

GBM
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Location: ZRH - Zurich Switzerland. I like my local Airport. Wake-up at 0500uhr. Airside and through Security 80 minutes later after Shower, Breakfast and 10km Train ride. That is good!
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
Look on the bright side. You got one of the best possible Y product possible for such a long trip. The Food/IFE/Service were for sure the equivalent of LH BiZ.

Miles, well, that's the downside of flying SQ cheap(er) Y fares.
G, N, Q, T or V , cheapest Y fares on SQ do not earn on M&M
They are also non-earning on Krisflyer (KF)

Both programs are aligned and do not earn, that's it. I guess it's got to do with SQ not paying for any miles accrued on both M&M and KF on cheap(er) Y fares. Take it as it is.

GBM
Great links - thank you very much! Yes, we are naturally very happy to fly SQ to Australia. and my wife is looking forward to testing her credit card on the Stopover in Singapore.

I see now everything:

"Most booking fares are eligible for accrual of KrisFlyer miles. However, Economy Class tickets issued in V, Q, G, N or T booking classes on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir are ineligible for mileage accrual."

Many thanks
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:00 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Great links - thank you very much! Yes, we are naturally very happy to fly SQ to Australia. and my wife is looking forward to testing her credit card on the Stopover in Singapore.
I have lived in both countries and I'm not sure what Europeans like about shoping in Singapore. They are many malls sure, but compared to Zurich I don't see much price difference. A vuiton or burberry store remains the same... wherever it is....
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
I have lived in both countries and I'm not sure what Europeans like about shoping in Singapore. They are many malls sure, but compared to Zurich I don't see much price difference. A vuiton or burberry store remains the same... wherever it is....
I don't think you know my wife! She is only interested in collecting lingerie from different countries
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Hi,

Surely now SQ is in STAR Alliance, the earning of Miles would be consistent across all Carriers and Selling Classes. Right?

Hey, we might have bought the cheapest fares, but 7300 USD is a LOT of money in anyone's book! To get absolutely nothing in terms of recognition?

SQ isn't the only airline like that my friend.

I have flown close to 10 airlines that don't credit a single miles for the cheapest fare even if it is north of USD1000 per pax.

That is why you always need to look.

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
Women can always find things to shop for.

The question is if they want to be bothered or not.

That is my experience.

I don't think you know my wife! She is only interested in collecting lingerie from different countries
At least she shares her toys with you.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:04 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
I won't argue here
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:09 am

these (V, Q, G, N or T) booking classes dont earn anything on any Star Alliance programs.

Also with SQ, if you have one segment with the above mentioned booking class, the other segments on the same ticket, if they are booked into an eligible mileage booking class are also voided.

For example if you booked FRA-SIN in J class....and SIN-SYD in Q class..... you get nothing for the entire journey.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Also with SQ, if you have one segment with the above mentioned booking class, the other segments on the same ticket, if they are booked into an eligible mileage booking class are also voided.

For example if you booked FRA-SIN in J class....and SIN-SYD in Q class..... you get nothing for the entire journey.
How sure are you of this? And this applicable to which FFP? AC, KF, M&M?
The accrual is usually on a segment by segment basis, how would a J segment credit only to be reversed by a subsequent or prior non-earning segment.

I never heard of this (not saying it's not the case)

GBM
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:39 am

Great links - thank you very much!
No problem. Sorry you're not getting miles.
When flying SQ Y i'm extra careful when booking. A few years ago 50EUR made the difference between getting 0 or the 15'000 miles I got on a CDG-SIN-DPS.

I think i read your post too early in the morning, you haven't flown yet.
Enjoy it. SQ is really great. Flew a HKG-SIN on the A380 upstairs on the small Y section. It was better for Food/IFE/service than the follow-up SIN-FRA on LH BiZ.

GBM
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
A few years ago 50EUR made the difference between getting 0 or the 15'000 miles I got on a CDG-SIN-DPS.
As another reference point it was an extra $25 for approximately 22,000 miles for IAH-SIN-DPS. The SQ website is also very good about telling you which fares earn miles and which ones do not at the time of booking.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Big Thank You

Thank you everyone.

Actually, although I fly ("flew" - it's all cost-saving now at my company) regularly, I only became a member because my 4 year old boy was given a full-body X-Ray scan at Manchester Airport.

But I already learnt a lot from this board now I became a member. ^^
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Yes, I agree with the bit about the SQ website making it quite obvious which fares earn miles. And the mile-earning fares are only marginally more expensive! Which makes it worth it in my opinion.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by RussianTexan
Yes, I agree with the bit about the SQ website making it quite obvious which fares earn miles. And the mile-earning fares are only marginally more expensive! Which makes it worth it in my opinion.
Please allow me to highlight that what is stated on SQ's web-site is only valid for the Krisflyer program and not all other *A program.

What is valid for SQ's Krisflyer is not always valid for all other *A frequent flyer program. Case in point are "K" and "W" classes that qualify for 100% mileage accrual with Krisflyer but only 50% with M/M.

So one should check with his own *A frequent flyer program concerning how much miles can be accrued for the booking class.

Last edited by anaidross; Oct 22, 2011 at 1:37 am
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Hi,

Your complaint is completely misplaced! Your complaint is NOT against SQ. It's with yourself for not doing the research at time of booking to see if your deeply discounted economy tickets on SQ did earn miles in LX's programme. You got what you paid for in that regard. Yes, you bought four tickets. Yes, they cost you a chunk of change. As others have noted, you get a very good Y product on SQ. If you'd done a little research beforehand, you may have been able to avoid your fate in terms of no miles. Also, the premise of your thread is incorrect. LX sets the rules for mileage earning in its programme. SQ KF has nothing to do with it. As others have noted, many other *A programmes don't give miles for deeply discounted fares.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 22, 2011 at 5:05 am Reason: added premise comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.