FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   redeeming business saver award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1262661-redeeming-business-saver-award.html)

bernyx Sep 24, 2011 6:53 am

redeeming business saver award

I was thinking of convert my amex pts to krisflyer. I've checked many dates for business saver awards from USA west coast to hkg, sin and find nothing, is it pretty much impossible?

planensimple Sep 25, 2011 3:48 am

SQ is notorious for that :) did you try looking in other award categories, given that the routes tht you are looking at are busy routes saver awards may be very tough to come by.

SQueeze Sep 25, 2011 4:54 am

All SQ's West coast routes are served by A380s, and 77Ws. There are no saver awards.

You have to fly out of JFK in the last 747 route for saver awards. And that is only until mid January

belfordrocks Sep 25, 2011 5:53 am

Transfer to Continental instead- it ends on Sept 30 so you only have a couple of days.

Only transfer to SQ if you're interested in flying SQ new product in first or business- at the 'standard' level.

bernyx Sep 25, 2011 7:56 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 17168746)
Transfer to Continental instead- it ends on Sept 30 so you only have a couple of days.

Only transfer to SQ if you're interested in flying SQ new product in first or business- at the 'standard' level.

why would i want to transfer to continental?

bernyx Sep 25, 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 17168627)
All SQ's West coast routes are served by A380s, and 77Ws. There are no saver awards.

You have to fly out of JFK in the last 747 route for saver awards. And that is only until mid January

Can we expect any kind of change to that? I would think they would lose alot of business to competition.

planensimple Sep 25, 2011 10:09 am

Nope no change expected. This has been SQ policy since long and they dont seem to be in any mood to change it.

As for the Continental reference that was intended to say that you can transfer to them and maybe book with them or look for *A availability with other airlines.

bernyx Sep 25, 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by planensimple (Post 17169644)
Nope no change expected. This has been SQ policy since long and they dont seem to be in any mood to change it.

As for the Continental reference that was intended to say that you can transfer to them and maybe book with them or look for *A availability with other airlines.

I could also xfer to ANA which I already have miles in, but looks like their *A availability has gotten more difficult too.

planensimple Sep 25, 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by bernyx (Post 17169653)
I could also xfer to ANA which I already have miles in, but looks like their *A availability has gotten more difficult too.

If you already have miles with them then go for ANA, combine them together and get something on a *A carrier, ANA award availability tool is good for this :)

But yeah just be wary of their surcharges. Best way is to call up their customer service and check for charges with them on the route you want to fly on.

demue Sep 26, 2011 3:37 am

However, redeeming on ANA (NH) will be easier if you are actually using NH miles so I think that would not be a bad option if you can find a seat from NA to Asia via Japan. F will be notoriously difficult, but in C it could work out and yes you can check via the NH tool first.

planensimple Sep 26, 2011 4:26 am

SQ has just launched a 50% off on award redemption on certain routes , you can check it out here and see if any of the city pairs fits your needs and schedule.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/planen...ected-flights/

bernyx Sep 26, 2011 6:27 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 17173372)
However, redeeming on ANA (NH) will be easier if you are actually using NH miles so I think that would not be a bad option if you can find a seat from NA to Asia via Japan. F will be notoriously difficult, but in C it could work out and yes you can check via the NH tool first.

Searching ANA, looks like it's even tough to get flights on ANA, most availablility is on Asiana. I know this isn't the ANA forum, but that's for the info. Can't really get much info on that board.

demue Sep 27, 2011 4:55 am

OZ flies its new Quadra Smartium or so seats on certain routes and IIRC it was also to one or two US destinations. Maybe check OZ forum. That seat is excellent. Overall OZ is very solid and I would not hestitate redeeming for C with them.

belfordrocks Sep 29, 2011 5:53 am

ANA and CO (and SQ and every other *A airline) shares the same partner inventory, so the availability is the same no matter which program you transfer to.

ANA has horrendous YQ charges which disguise their relatively low mileage cost. Aeroplan is the other option but its prices are pretty high too.

Another choice could be to transfer Amex points to Delta through the current promotion and try booking Korean Air business class- certainly worth a shot.

zerafa Oct 1, 2011 7:15 am

i was able to get saver on the 380 for biz in august. it was not available online, but called and they sorted me out, but i am pps, not sure it that helped

SMK77 Oct 1, 2011 8:39 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 17191760)
ANA and CO (and SQ and every other *A airline) shares the same partner inventory, so the availability is the same no matter which program you transfer to.

That's not correct. The idea is that it should be the same but in fact it is not:

UA is known for what is called Starnet Blocking: they don't offer certain availability of partner awards to its members.

LH and BD have access to SQ 77W and A380 Business inventory that no other partner has (LH is paying a higher internal price for those awards while no one else was willing to give SQ more money for awards seats).

bertheike Oct 1, 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 17203175)
That's not correct. The idea is that it should be the same but in fact it is not:

UA is known for what is called Starnet Blocking: they don't offer certain availability of partner awards to its members.

LH and BD have access to SQ 77W and A380 Business inventory that no other partner has (LH is paying a higher internal price for those awards while no one else was willing to give SQ more money for awards seats).

I know LH has "special" award availability with SQ, but are you sure that BD/DC also has access to that ? Them never find I/O class on 77W/A380 routes.