First Class Worth it Over Business?

Old Aug 30, 11, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

First Class Worth it Over Business?

After doing some research is FC really worth it over it over business? I don't see any dedicated FC lounges at Changi it is F/J. Also the only difference I can really see is a bigger TV screen (Flying on 77W) and a bigger bed. Are those two small things really worth upgrading my flight?
Old Aug 30, 11, 1:11 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
After doing some research is FC really worth it over it over business? I don't see any dedicated FC lounges at Changi it is F/J. Also the only difference I can really see is a bigger TV screen (Flying on 77W) and a bigger bed. Are those two small things really worth upgrading my flight?
There are dedicated F lounge (as well as The Private Room) in SIN and also separate check-in lounge for F pax.
Food and beverage selection is also better in F.
Whether it's worth it or not, only you can answer.
For me, C is just fine.
Old Aug 30, 11, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This is a no brainer question. DUH!!!
Old Aug 30, 11, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Double duh!
Not sure what research you've done, but SIN offers one of the best dedicated FC lounge facilities of any airline anywhere.
Not only a FCL, but a separate Private Room. And for check-in, a beautiful dedicated FC lobby.

SIN First Class Check-in and SilverKris First Class Private Room Part 1
SIN SilverKris First Class Private Room Part 2

You want to read a few SQ trip reports before you decide that F is not much different than J. You must be thinking of UA.
Old Aug 30, 11, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I am a US Airways member and going to use miles? Can I only use miles for J and not F. I heard you can only buy F on the JFK-SIN flights?
Old Aug 30, 11, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a US Airways member and going to use miles? Can I only use miles for J and not F. I heard you can only buy F on the JFK-SIN flights?
You can "buy" F on any SQ flight with available seats. I assume you meant "use miles for F". You can use miles for F, J and Y if you can find seats. At this time however, it is very difficult to get F or J *A partner awards/upgrades on anything other than the 744 (read JFK-FRA-SIN) or regional routes in Asia. Suggest you hurry though as the 744 will apparently be replaced by the A380 early next year.

If you want to experience true First Class, the best way is to buy an all-SQ RTW ticket, $6,699+ for fare code FEZSQ.
Eastbound options: JFK-FRA/anywhere in Europe-SIN-HKG/ICN-SFO or IAH-DME/anywhere in Europe-SIN-HKG/ICN-SFO.
Reverse the routing for westbound.
Old Aug 30, 11, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
You can "buy" F on any SQ flight with available seats. I assume you meant "use miles for F". You can use miles for F, J and Y if you can find seats. At this time however, it is very difficult to get F or J *A partner awards/upgrades on anything other than the 744 (read JFK-FRA-SIN) or regional routes in Asia. Suggest you hurry though as the 744 will apparently be replaced by the A380 early next year.

If you want to experience true First Class, the best way is to buy an all-SQ RTW ticket, $6,699+ for fare code FEZSQ.
Eastbound options: JFK-FRA/anywhere in Europe-SIN-HKG/ICN-SFO or IAH-DME/anywhere in Europe-SIN-HKG/ICN-SFO.
Reverse the routing for westbound.
Hi
Where can I go to look at purchasing such a ticket. To Star Allaince? Agent?
Thansk for the help
Old Aug 30, 11, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sq128 View Post
Hi
Thansk for the help
Welcome to FT Sq128!
You have to book this through SQ. In theory, the call centre can do it but I would recommend working with an SQ sales agent in one of SQ's city sales offices. Many of have used a great agent in the SFO office. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you her contact info.
There is a related thread with lots of information... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-deals-sq.html
Old Aug 31, 11, 1:40 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I'd put it this way: it's worth getting F on the 747, which is kind of convenient since it's actually easier to book an award this way using miles.

As for the newer planes like the 77W or A380, where it's very difficult to get anywhere with miles, the C product is one of the best in the world anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried about going higher.
Old Aug 31, 11, 2:59 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
SQ F is great, but so is SQ J. I've had some very pleasant SQ F flights, but also some great SQ J flights. In fact my most memorable SQ flights have been in J. And some of my SQ F flights have been disapointing.

There are a number of configuarations of flights, but I have been told by a SQ flight attendant that the seat in 777 J is the same at 777 F, certainly it is quite similar although the F seat is probably a little larger.

You certainly receive a wider selection of food in F and caviar. However the robotic, consistent style of SQ flight crews suits J very well as you can rely on an excellent business product. Perhaps that robotic style can detract a little from the F product, as just going through the routines is not sufficient for a fantastic F service.

The Private Room is nice, but not so nice that it is a massive improvement over the SilverKris business lounge.

It will come down to how much you want to spend in money or points, but my personal viewpoint is that while SQ F can be very good, SQ J can be outstanding as well.
Old Sep 4, 11, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by Sq128 View Post
Hi
Thansk for the help
You may also use a travel agent.
Old Sep 4, 11, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
This is a no brainer question. DUH!!!

+1, duh!
Old Sep 4, 11, 9:36 am

depends.

biz from houston to sin is about 5700, first 11000 based on my company discounts. i sleep just fine in C. and sleep most of the flight.

la - sin - direct flight is biz only

matt
Old Sep 5, 11, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zerafa View Post
biz from houston to sin is about 5700, first 11000 based on my company discounts. i sleep just fine in C. and sleep most of the flight.
Huh? Anyone flying IAH-SIN should be buying the FEZSQ fare and not paying anything remotely close to 11K.
Old Sep 5, 11, 7:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime Globalist
I think the question is very valid. On 77W, SQ has improved the Business product a lot and decreased seat pitch in F so that one has to sleep diagonal as well.

F over C/J on 77W is not worth an upgrade or the additional money - unless you pay very little money for the difference.

Seat configuration is 1-2-1 in both Business and First and the only difference is a tiny bit more seat pitch in F, a nicer padding for sleeping, a bigger TV and better service/meals. If you can snatch a seat in a bulkhead row in Business (e.g. row 11), you have as much space as in F.

The difference in lounges is very tiny and should never be the reason to go for a more expensive ticket. You get free drinks and some food and you most likely you won't spend more than 20 minutes there anyway.

The new F seat on the 77W is far behind competition. Fly Business and save the extra money (unless you are flying FEZSQ ex US, that one is worth it).

Search this Thread