Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hr 20 min enough to connect from AA flight to an SQ flight ( JFK-SIN)

Old Aug 29, 11, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I wanted to book this flight in Nov:

LAS - JFK on AA (F) arriving at 630PM. I have one checked in luggage.

Then JFK - SIN on SQ (J) at 750PM at T4.

I have never been to JFK. Will I have enough time collecting my checked in luggage ( I do not know which terminal is AA) and then connecting to the next available flight on SQ ( J Class) at 750 PM going to Singapore.

There are no other flight schedule available.
Old Aug 29, 11, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Me2Earth View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to book this flight in Nov:

LAS - JFK on AA (F) arriving at 630PM. I have one checked in luggage.

Then JFK - SIN on SQ (J) at 750PM at T4.

I have never been to JFK. Will I have enough time collecting my checked in luggage ( I do not know which terminal is AA) and then connecting to the next available flight on SQ ( J Class) at 750 PM going to Singapore.

There are no other flight schedule available.
That's VERY close for JFK, and I'd advise you to check further for an alternate LAS -- JFK connection.

AA arrives at T8, and as you note, SQ departs from T4. It's nominally a short ride on AirTrain, the inter-terminal rail link that connects all terminals to one another. However, if you check your bag on AA, you have to go downstairs at the front of T8, after a long walk from your likely arrival gate, wait at baggage claim, then go up a level, across the street, and up another equivalent of two levels, to get to the Airtrain station. T4 is the third stop; the trains are frequent, dependable, and easy to use.

At T4, you detrain, go up an escalator to the departure level, enter through the main doors to the lobby, then left to SQ check in, which is almost always Aisle 4.

Now, it all sounds pretty easy, and if you're spot-on-time from Vegas, it would be. BUT:

1. JFK is notorious for arrival delays, especially in the evenings. Usually, it's flights from airports close-in that get hammered, but traffic flow delays from the West Coast are common when the winds are unfavorable -- then, you get held at departure point for 60 to 120 minutes;

2. SQ typically closes check-in 30 or 40 minutes before departure. There's a security check to get to the A pier of T4, and it's not always last-minute passenger friendly: can be a 5 minute breeze, or a 30-minute mess of strollers and wheelchairs....just depends on who else is flying out of the A pier gates at the same time. That security check, and SQ's use of Gate A7, which is at the far end of the A concourse, is one reason SQ implores passengers on SQ25 to report early.

FWIW, I do the drill all the time -- and I always allow at least three hours. And I haven't missed a connection in five years.............
Old Aug 29, 11, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Its ok BUT if AA is delayed, you're SOL as AA certainly won't contact SQ over this. Much better to give yourself at least 3 hours for connections - especially at JFK - from personal experience !
Old Aug 29, 11, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Bitterroot & Guy Betsy, thank you for your reply.

I will allow 3 hrs minimum time then to my flight connection (check LA - JFK flight sked as well). Or maybe stay overnight in NY.
Old Aug 31, 11, 3:27 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by Me2Earth View Post
Bitterroot & Guy Betsy, thank you for your reply.

I will allow 3 hrs minimum time then to my flight connection (check LA - JFK flight sked as well). Or maybe stay overnight in NY.
For connecting to an SQ flight from AA, I think that's definitely a great idea. I wouldn't trust AA to communicate with anyone but a OW partner.

Search this Thread