Question about seat pitch on SQ A380

Old Jul 27, 11, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, GP, PC
Question about seat pitch on SQ A380

I'll be visiting Singapore next year for a vacation as well as to visit friends there plus the Anime Festival Asia event and I hope to fly with Singapore Airlines from London or Manchester.

I know that SIA uses A380's for their flights from the UK, but I just wanted to know what the seat pitch is like for them as I'm about 5ft, 11-inches tall in height and I'm worried that I might be too tall to sit in a Economy seat when it comes to seat pitch.
Old Jul 27, 11, 9:36 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
as per seat guru, 32'' by 19''. The pitch is standard but in my opinion, the width of the seat makes the difference for such long trips.
Old Jul 27, 11, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by BorgmanJayce View Post
I'll be visiting Singapore next year for a vacation as well as to visit friends there plus the Anime Festival Asia event and I hope to fly with Singapore Airlines from London or Manchester.

I know that SIA uses A380's for their flights from the UK, but I just wanted to know what the seat pitch is like for them as I'm about 5ft, 11-inches tall in height and I'm worried that I might be too tall to sit in a Economy seat when it comes to seat pitch.
When buying your ticket on line, opt for the preferred seats , ie emergency exits for $50 - $100 extra. It is well worth it.
Old Jul 28, 11, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, GP, PC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
When buying your ticket on line, opt for the preferred seats , ie emergency exits for $50 - $100 extra. It is well worth it.
I might just do that, especially after all the horror stories I've been reading concerning tall-people and cramped seats in Economy class recently...

Fly-Swiss, would you say that 19" is a good width for a Economy seat on the SQ A380's or would I be better off paying extra for a preferred seat?
Old Jul 28, 11, 4:28 am

Programs: Delta, UA
32" is basically the standard long haul seat pitch. The 19" seat width is extremely generous by comparison to other carriers, and should make a difference in comfort. At 5'11", you should be fine unless you really want the extra legroom.
Old Aug 1, 11, 10:56 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
SQ's Y class A380 seats are amongst the most uncomfortable I've ever come across. Because they slide forward on recline, they compromise the leg room (I'm 5'11" too). So spring for a bulkhead/exit!

On SQ in Y, I'd prefer to fly 777 or 747.
Old Aug 2, 11, 3:04 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
..I know that SIA uses A380's for their flights from the UK, but I just wanted to know what the seat pitch is like for them as I'm about 5ft, 11-inches tall in height and I'm worried that I might be too tall to sit in a Economy seat when it comes to seat pitch.
I am 6' and ~100kg and easily fit into the 380 coach seats. I would not worry.
65 S$ from here. But all 'premium' seats are in high traffic areas, most have no or very limited window access and the little nasty FAs force you to store your stuff even during turbulence . So I am not booking them anymore.
Originally Posted by RBH58 View Post
SQ's Y class A380 seats are amongst the most uncomfortable I've ever come across. Because they slide forward on recline, they compromise the leg room (I'm 5'11" too). So spring for a bulkhead/exit!

On SQ in Y, I'd prefer to fly 777 or 747.

The A380 of SQ has by far the best coach seats I ever sat in. They are wide have ample legroom, don't cut into your veins. The IFE doesn't take away any space....

If the seat had air vents which could be controlled, it would be perfect.

SQ operates three tiers of 777, only one of which has the new seat which is almost as good as the A380. The other two have to old shabby seat also used on the 747. The ones with the super-slow IFE and the miserable picture quality.
Old Aug 2, 11, 4:54 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
[QUOTE=weero;16842056]
The A380 of SQ has by far the best coach seats I ever sat in. They are wide have ample legroom, don't cut into your veins. The IFE doesn't take away any space..QUOTE]

+ 1. These seats are the best I have seen in Y. Wide, comfortable, good IFE. No many other airline have a 19'' width.
Old Aug 2, 11, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss View Post
..+ 1. These seats are the best I have seen in Y. Wide, comfortable, good IFE. No many other airline have a 19'' width.
Yep. Even the exit row seats with wider armrests are wide enough for a large person.

Only critique besides the air vents I actually have is that they are wearing out quickly. I had an IFE controller failure and two permanently reclining seatrests in a row last week.
Old Aug 2, 11, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by weero View Post
The A380 of SQ has by far the best coach seats I ever sat in. They are wide have ample legroom, don't cut into your veins. The IFE doesn't take away any space....

If the seat had air vents which could be controlled, it would be perfect.

SQ operates three tiers of 777, only one of which has the new seat which is almost as good as the A380. The other two have to old shabby seat also used on the 747. The ones with the super-slow IFE and the miserable picture quality.
Width isn't really an issue for me (I'm 180cm 67kgs) but the seat base on the A380 Y seat slides forward as it reclines and this reduces my ability to stretch my legs out under the seat in front of me. As a result, I can never get truly comfortable in them. Because if this, I don't think they are a good seat.
Old Aug 2, 11, 4:33 pm

Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer

Just to point out, Singapore Airlines doesn't fly the A380 out of Manchester. They use the 777-300ER on this route.

The seat in Economy is the same. I think the pitch is. The IFE its also the same. But the seating is 3-3-3 compared to the A380 3-4-3.

On the A380 the upper deck economy will provide you with some more space, but i have read that Singapore Airlines are changing the A380's to London with ones without Economy on the upper deck.

Also if you didn't know from Manchester there is a 1 hour stop at Munich.
Old Aug 2, 11, 4:45 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
It really is a small price to pay, but as mentioned you can't put your hand luggage in front of you, and I do prefer the IFE screen in the seat in front of me rather than having to pull it up.

But if it's all about legroom then you should go for it IMO. I mean the difference in price compared to the entire ticket is peanuts...
Old Aug 2, 11, 5:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
the seat base on the A380 Y seat slides forward as it reclines and this reduces my ability to stretch my legs out under the seat in front of me.
But if the person in front of you reclines, doesn't the lower part of their seat move forward giving you more leg room?
Old Aug 2, 11, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by aster View Post
But if the person in front of you reclines, doesn't the lower part of their seat move forward giving you more leg room?
I don't think the A380's seats work like that (but the situation you describe was the case on a DL flight I took last week). All I know is that with the A380I had to choose between legroom or recline.
Old Aug 3, 11, 5:10 am

I don't think the A380's seats work like that (but the situation you describe was the case on a DL flight I took last week). All I know is that with the A380I had to choose between legroom or recline.
I am pretty sure that it is knee-space neutral if you and the person in front of you are reclined. And it gives you additional legroom if you are not reclined. At 32" pitch it feels graciously more spacious than what the competition offers.

Search this Thread