Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about seat pitch on SQ A380

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: QF WP
However, keep in mind that, no matter which way the seat reclines or slides, it is not magic and your pitch will not significantly increase from the claimed 32 inches.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:39 am

Having flown on the seats a number of times, I have also never really felt comfortable in them. Reason, due to the design of the seat, it is impossible to fully stretch your legs under the seat in front. Some airlines may have slightly smaller seat pitch but being able to stretch your legs under the seats really makes a lot of difference in comfort.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
I am pretty sure that it is knee-space neutral if you and the person in front of you are reclined. And it gives you additional legroom if you are not reclined. At 32" pitch it feels graciously more spacious than what the competition offers.
Plus if you combine the great AVOD and the food, which is generally above expectations for Y - as are the drinks, you probably have one of the best Y products out there. Same goes for J on SQ's A380.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aster
Plus if you combine the great AVOD and the food, which is generally above expectations for Y - as are the drinks, you probably have one of the best Y products out there. Same goes for J on SQ's A380.
Not so sure about the drinks .. on paper they look great but I am unable to get anything more fancy than a Coke Zero and even there I have to argue for the whole can.

I guess that the drink service is still decent but because of this annoying security at the gate thingie, one is also more dependent on the airline to provide ample liquid.

I still believe that SQ could implement a ways better coach product with a handful of policy changes, such segregating *G from commoners and by being tougher with pax who behave like <expletive> . On our last flight we had singing drunks, families of adults (not minors, sic!) who were blaring around the entire night and the little decoration girls didn't do a thing about it.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by ycp81
Having flown on the seats a number of times, I have also never really felt comfortable in them. Reason, due to the design of the seat, it is impossible to fully stretch your legs under the seat in front. Some airlines may have slightly smaller seat pitch but being able to stretch your legs under the seats really makes a lot of difference in comfort.
Exactly! That is my experience. I can stretch my legs out under the seat in front when the seat is upright, but when I recline the seat and the seat base slides forward I can no longer stretch my legs out under the seat in front. I found it really annoying and I couldn't get comfortable enough to attempt sleep.

I've done many miles in J class on SQ's A380 too, and whilst it provides a pretty nice bed, the "widest business class seat in the sky" is a very average seat. It's like sitting on a park bench.

Last edited by RBH58; Aug 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by RBH58
Exactly! That is my experience. I can stretch my legs out under the seat in front when the seat is upright..
So you can stretch your legs in that seat!

And the person in front of you doesn't bump your knees when they recline. These are two pretty good features.
..I've done many miles in J class on SQ's A380 too, and whilst it provides a pretty nice bed, the "widest business class seat in the sky" is a very average seat. It's like sitting on a park bench.
Being Australian and having strong ties to nature (pure conjecture here on my behalf), this is about as good as it gets, right?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:11 pm

So you can stretch your legs in that seat!

And the person in front of you doesn't bump your knees when they recline. These are two pretty good features.
Well I bloody well couldn't and I think I got it right. Put legs straight out under the seat in front with knees unbent. As I recall, this didn't work.

Being Australian and having strong ties to nature (pure conjecture here on my behalf), this is about as good as it gets, right?
A common misconception about Australians who are actually amongst the most urbanised of all first world inhabitants. Most Australians go into a blind panic if they are more than 10 minutes away from a decent cup of coffee.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I still believe that SQ could implement a ways better coach product with a handful of policy changes, such segregating *G from commoners and by being tougher with pax who behave like <expletive> . On our last flight we had singing drunks, families of adults (not minors, sic!) who were blaring around the entire night and the little decoration girls didn't do a thing about it.
Sounds almost as bad as flying TG out of CPH, where drunks started insulting FAs and I constantly had thoughts that we'd end up in Iran or India for an unexpected stopover.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:05 am

..A common misconception about Australians who are actually amongst the most urbanised of all first world inhabitants. Most Australians go into a blind panic if they are more than 10 minutes away from a decent cup of coffee.
That might be true. And Sydney and Melnbourne traffic certainly do suggest this.

But if you are Aussies with good coffee, they become extremely autonomous organisms who can cycle across the Nullarbor and take a hike to the centre of the Great Sandy desert .
Sounds almost as bad as flying TG out of CPH, where drunks started insulting FAs and I constantly had thoughts that we'd end up in Iran or India for an unexpected stopover.
A landing in Iran should have solved the issues of the drunkards ... I reckon.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:18 pm

That might be true. And Sydney and Melnbourne traffic certainly do suggest this.

But if you are Aussies with good coffee, they become extremely autonomous organisms who can cycle across the Nullarbor and take a hike to the centre of the Great Sandy desert
Dump most Australians 50kms from civilisation and they'd be dead in 24 hours. The Steve Irwin/Mick Dundee types are indicative of about 0.000009% of the population
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:03 am

Dump most Australians 50kms from civilisation and they'd be dead in 24 hours. The Steve Irwin/Mick Dundee types are indicative of about 0.000009% of the population
That because the Outback is such a rugged place !

Anyone who can survive QF coach food would be fit to make it in Europe's wilderness.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:37 am

Is it that bad? The last time I flew with QF was over a decade ago...

Getting back to the original subject, if I was to fly long-haul in coach... my first pick of all airlines+planes would be SQ's A380.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:17 am

Is it that bad? The last time I flew with QF was over a decade ago...
In short: yes.
Getting back to the original subject, if I was to fly long-haul in coach... my first pick of all airlines+planes would be SQ's A380.
Unless there is a premium coach available of course.

If SQ really will cripple the A380 and no longer offer UD coach seating, I will probably make a major effort not to fly SQ anymore. Bad, bad move .
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, GP, PC
It's a shame that SQ are going to change the Upper Deck of the A380's into another area for Business passengers. I guess they think Business passengers are more important than Economy passengers.

The really sad thing is that having the Upper Deck being used for Economy passengers was one thing that made their A380's different from those used by other airlines.

Out of curiosity, do Emirates use A380's on their flights from London to Singapore and is it a direct service or is there a stop on the way there and back?

On another note, I'm also surprised SQ don't offer a Premium Economy service like a lot of airlines do.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: SQ & QF
On another note, I'm also surprised SQ don't offer a Premium Economy service like a lot of airlines do.
They used to on the A340-500 and it wasn't right for them so they ditched it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.