Booking class question for cattle pax

Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Booking class question for cattle pax

Alright, flights coming up soon, and with my new job description as "Flying Cattle technician", I've get the wonderfull enjoyments of quite some lovely long range SQ flights (I'm talking about 10-12 flights of 8-12 hours in around a month..)

My collegues (former cattle tech.) have warned me, and I know from a few flights with SQ myself under company booking, that apparently my cattle travel agency, which I unfortunately can't force to do what I want , will book into booking classes that don't get any miles in LH M&M (The program we're all running here)

Now, my question is as following: Are there booking classes on SQ which do give miles in some *A programs (Apparently we're NOT in ultra-cheap eco, but they still don't give miles in LH M&M) but not in all, and if yes, how can I find out about the booking class I'm actually in? I wouldn't mind calling them, if there is no way online. I'm having enough flights upcoming to make *G within most *A partners if I get 1x milage, and probably even enough if only 0.5x milage, so if I get the chance to credit miles to anything, I'll be more than happy.

Regards from the moooow class and thanks to everyone helping
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH, UA, SQ
The class of bookings that doesn't earn any miles are:

Miles cannot be earned in booking classes G, N, Q, T or V.
If you check on SQ website, those booking class usually goes under SUPER DEALS fares.
FLEXI SAVER, which gets you miles, is usually slightly higher than super deals. As an example, for LHR-SIN-LHR, the super deals will offer you GBP 946. And if you pay GBP 1007 (61 pounds higher), you will get full miles.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diamond Seats
The class of bookings that doesn't earn any miles are:

G, N, Q, T or V

If you check on SQ website, those booking class usually goes under SUPER DEALS fares.
FLEXI SAVER, which gets you miles, is usually slightly higher than super deals. As an example, for LHR-SIN-LHR, the super deals will offer you GBP 946. And if you pay GBP 1007 (61 pounds higher), you will get full miles.
ok, thank you. I've went through the hassle to check out every *A program now (without Egypt Air, as their website is apparently down due to political reasons) and indeed, none of them give any miles on those booking classes.

As unfortunately I absolutely don't have any influence in which booking class they will book me in (Yes, even though I would volunteer to pay the difference happily) is there any chance I could call up SQ AFTER the booking has been made and ask them to change my booking class against a fee, so that I may end of collecting miles? Anyone made experience with this?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
....As unfortunately I absolutely don't have any influence in which booking class they will book me in (Yes, even though I would volunteer to pay the difference happily) is there any chance I could call up SQ AFTER the booking has been made and ask them to change my booking class against a fee, so that I may end of collecting miles? Anyone made experience with this?
SQ mileage earnings is uniform across all airlines programs. This kind of shows you how by-the-book SQ is.

You can upfare anytime before departure. However, you will be charged fare difference plus change fee which makes it rather unattractive, except if you need some miles to top up for an award.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
SQ mileage earnings is uniform across all airlines programs. This kind of shows you how by-the-book SQ is.

You can upfare anytime before departure. However, you will be charged fare difference plus change fee which makes it rather unattractive, except if you need some miles to top up for an award.
Thank you

As all the flights are on one PNR (A hell of a PNR I can tell you ) change fee will only apply once I assume, so I'll double-check with SQ once the booking is made. If, for example for 1000€, I can "buy" myself 70k miles, it's definitely worth it. Also, would make SEN/*G on LH when being able to do that, rather than staying lowly FTL/*S.

Will report back once I get any news, thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:52 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Thank you

As all the flights are on one PNR (A hell of a PNR I can tell you ) change fee will only apply once I assume, so I'll double-check with SQ once the booking is made. If, for example for 1000€, I can "buy" myself 70k miles, it's definitely worth it. Also, would make SEN/*G on LH when being able to do that, rather than staying lowly FTL/*S.

Will report back once I get any news, thanks.
And Good luck with all these upcoming flights !
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....If, for example for 1000€, I can "buy" myself 70k miles, it's definitely worth it....
How do you get 70K miles in one trip? That's flying around the world three times.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:31 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
How do you get 70K miles in one trip? That's flying around the world three times.
Since the OP has all his flights on one PNR, the change of booking fee would be smaller. He never said it was one trip.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I'll fly ZRH to Australia, China, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and India (and back to ZRH). All using SIN as hub. I don't even want to know how the booking looks like

Currently in talking to add another destination, so not sure yet if that's all on the booking. I pity my legs No pain, no gain
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:29 pm

Update Please?

Can YuropFlyer be so kind as to give us an update? Was he successful in changing from a no-miles class to a yes-miles class after purchase?

Also, I can't seem to find the change fee on the SQ website. Does anyone know the fee or have a link?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to not come back to this. It was already a few months ago, and I forgot it. Of course I'm glad to share my experience.

As unfortunately the tickets were only booked (bought) around a week before the flight by my TA (don't ask please why.. I've not to use their service anymore now) I could only inquiry with the local SQ office (In Zurich, full address: Löwenstrasse 56, 8021 Zürich, 0900 881 818, NOT at the airport) on Monday (flight was Saturday) - they were a bit surprised by my question (non-native German personal, didn't understood my question first, despite me trying to explain I wanted an upgrade of the booking class, NOT service class (Buchungsklasse/Serviceklasse) it took a while till they eventually understood. Not unfriendly, maybe I just had a trainee on the phone. Eventually we found my itinerary and it would have been approx 2000 CHF (1700$) to upgrade it to the cheapest earning fare.. for around 50.000 miles or so, definitely not worth. BUT could I have done the upgrade earlier, or having had a more "expensive" non-earning booking class it could have been much more reasonable to "upgrade", so it wouldn't hurt to simply ask I would think.

I hope that helps.. just for short: They can do it, but they can only check the costs of such an booking class update if the ticket is already booked/confirmed.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
I thought if you book from a TA, any changes to the tix including the booking class have to be done by the TA before you travel the first sector.

I don't thing SQ will upgrade the booking class. They have even refused to do simple date changes for me (before travel of the first sector).
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQueeze
I thought if you book from a TA, any changes to the tix including the booking class have to be done by the TA before you travel the first sector.

I don't thing SQ will upgrade the booking class. They have even refused to do simple date changes for me (before travel of the first sector).
Well, I just told my personal experience about it. Apparently once the ticket was finally "bought" from my TA, they could have changed the booking class against payment, at least that's what they told me. But as it would have been more than what the miles have been worth, I declined.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.