opening my eyes, flying SQ to Singapore

Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:08 am

Calm and organized environment of Changi-airport is industry benchmark for an airport. What comes to eye-openers i think that "best you know is bet you've got".
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by aster
Last time I checked a map of the world Singapore wasn't located between Qatar and the UAE. This isn't some oil-rich nation that sees money falling from trees - it's a country that has worked hard for everything it has achieved, and has been blessed with very good leadership that has allowed it to develop and flourish.

If you like you can buy shares in Singapore Airlines - they're a public company listed on the stock exchange.
^ - very well said.

If I may further add, the Singapore government is of the view that the airport as an airhub is of greater economic value than the airline. They evenly openly mentioned that it will be defended even at the expense of Singapore Airlines. (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...pore-hub_x.htm)

For instance Qantas is allowed to fly further to third countries from Singapore even though SQ is not allowed to fly to other third countries from Australia.

So SQ does not enjoy any protection and in some ways is actually in a disadvantage position due to the preceived economic value of the airport as an airhub.

SQ's success is really its own hard work.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Obviously the OP's enthusiam for SQ service both on the ground and in the air didn't start with trying to book his flight on the new SQ web site
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:04 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by cssaus
Obviously the OP's enthusiam for SQ service both on the ground and in the air didn't start with trying to book his flight on the new SQ web site
Oh, don't get me started on their website, which I've only tried a few times. Corporate travel booked this for me eventually, but I started by exploring fares using their equivalent of .bomb

-- italic fonts (do they think it's stylish?)
-- scrolling window segments that jump suddenly and hide parts of the page
-- when flights are sold out, they disappear completely, leaving you to wonder whether they simply don't offer service on that route/day or what
-- and other functional frustrations

By the way, another thing I liked about their economy class is that the seats, when reclining, push the seat part out forward so you have a bit more room.

The footrests, on the other hand, I didn't find to be that useful.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by TA
An eye-opening glimpse of the competition...
TA, many good airlines are like this in East Asia to a large extent. You just happened to travel with the best of the lot . But you would have experienced many elements of this (though not all) with Cathay, ANA and Asiana too - the last 2 of which are also *A.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:21 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by anaidross
^ - very well said.

If I may further add, the Singapore government is of the view that the airport as an airhub is of greater economic value than the airline. They evenly openly mentioned that it will be defended even at the expense of Singapore Airlines. (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...pore-hub_x.htm)
To continue on this point a bit --

I'm now in the terminal (on a free internet kiosk by the way). It was so impressive going to the basement of T3 and seeing the food court, bustling with activity, variety, and cheap prices, equal to what you would find on the normal streets of Singapore.

What is the difference in philosophy behind the management of this airport, compared to the sterile, sold-off-to-corporate-chains approach that US airports are run? Do they take a different view of value provided, in that giving workers/travelers/staff an affordable place to eat creates value in new business, or desire of people to use the airport as a transit point? Or is it that they see a responsibility to provide value at all levels of customer, not just milking one lever, and letting the market sort it out (which apparently leads to only amenities for the top business traveler)?

I'm assuming this example extends to other functions at the airport.

I think this kind of philosophy requires quite a different mindset -- and giving up short term revenue (like pricing retail rental space so that only the biggest chains can afford it) in return for larger business development and long term viability.

But also perhaps the people and talent to manage it this way, and not just view it as a typical govt job?

I am about to visit the butterfly garden. This is amazing.

Last edited by TA; Jun 12, 2011 at 3:09 am
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:51 am

If u are in T3, u can take some giant chute ride or something like that.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
If u are in T3, u can take some giant chute ride or something like that.
Isn't that only for kids?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by TA
I am about to visit the butterfly garden. This is amazing.
There's also the free City Tours, sometimes free jazz concerts, piano recitals and once, a fashion show. There're also paid services like swimming pool, tennis courts, gym, and of course day / night transit rooms which are very good value for money.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
There's also the free City Tours, sometimes free jazz concerts, piano recitals and once, a fashion show. There're also paid services like swimming pool, tennis courts, gym, and of course day / night transit rooms which are very good value for money.
Last time I was in SQ I wanted to go to a science exposition, but it had been replaced by a culture one. Oh well, it was good to learn more about Singapore/Malaysia's culture
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:46 pm

I think anyone can ride the giant chute in T3.

There is also a free movie theatre in T3, near the Transit hotel.

Really like T3.
To me, it's one of the best airport terminals Ive been in and definitely the most beautiful.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Oh, don't get me started on their website, which I've only tried a few times.
:
:
-- italic fonts (do they think it's stylish?)
-- scrolling window segments that jump suddenly and hide parts of the page
-- when flights are sold out, they disappear completely, leaving you to wonder whether they simply don't offer service on that route/day or what
-- and other functional frustrations
One of the most screwed up web-sites I have ever seen. I cannot even make a multi-city booking. why they did not switch it off yet and use the classic mode until all the "teething problems" are fixed.

I also cannot understand why does everyone think useless pictures / graphics / different font types would make the web-site more interesting? e.g. the new LH web-site (I find the pics to be rather distracting on the home page but fortunately the bulk of the site still uses the "classic" functionalities) and the new checkmytrip web-site (another bomb - takes years to upload and those fonts are another eye sore).

Last edited by anaidross; Jun 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Lousy SQ lounge at SIN unless you are flying F or J. The place feels like a college lunch room.
.. But still better than UA RCC lounges imo ..
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by anaidross
One of the most screwed up web-sites I have ever seen. I cannot even make a multi-city booking. why they did not switch it off yet and use the classic mode until all the "teething problems" are fixed.

I also cannot understand why does everyone think useless pictures / graphics / different font types would make the web-site more interesting? e.g. the new LH web-site (I find the pics to be rather distracting on the home page but fortunately the bulk of the site still uses the "classic" functionalities) and the new checkmytrip web-site (another bomb - takes years to upload and those fonts are another eye sore).
Please direct all SQ's webiste issues to here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...te-issues.html

Thx

Guy Betsy
Singapore Airlines Krisflyer forum co-moderator
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Ready4Snow
.. But still better than UA RCC lounges imo ..
Not better than the RCC at NRT IMO.

Also, while the food and beverage options at the SIN lounges are better than those in domestic U.S. RCCs the decor is not always better depending on which RCC you're in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.