Community
Wiki Posts
Search

opening my eyes, flying SQ to Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by azepine00
What was your fare an absolute and relative terms (as in relative to average income in the area)
Could you upgrade on this fare?
Did you earn miles on that fare?

On an absolute scale - yes SQ is great but there is a price to pay. Also is "highly competent" airline also state sponsored (if not now but perhaps when it was growing in not so distant past)
1. International air travel is a global business that competes on global pricing. 'average income in the area' is not highly relevant, I wouldn't think. Even so, what area are you talking about? This was from Australia. Not the cheapest air market in the world. And Singapore is not a cheap place to live.
2. Can you upgrade? Why? He already did. he chose SQ (but you do have a point there, which is why I still fly UA over SQ often times)

As for state sponsored, you have to be the first person I have ever heard who tried to explain why a company has such great customer service by saying "oh, that is because they are government run" ROFL!!!! I mean, come on!!!! Really? DMV. Post Office. Not exactly bastions of customer service in my book.

Last edited by blueman2; Jun 10, 2011 at 9:48 am
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by anishub
The TG may be good, but the SilverKris (not the SATS Lounge) that is run by SQ for it's own pax, is way better. The SATS lounge is run by a SQ owned subsidiary called SATS (Singapore Airport Terminal Services) for airlines that has no lounge in SIN (like UA) but flyinto SIN frequently.

Separately, there is also a *G lounge run by SQ, which will allow both SQ and *G, on production of *G BP. I know the *G lounge is a little less desireable than the SilverKris just for their own pax.

This was about a year ago, anyone had experianced lately?
Both lounges are very nice, and out rank any RCC. I don't know why people are complaining about good noodles and rice in the afternoon, and pancakes in the morning at the *G lounge... Granted the water in the STATS tastes like apple juice....
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The Thai lounge at SIN is much better than the SATS lounge and worth the train trip.
Who exactly can get into the Thai lounge? Just their own C/F travellers and TG *G?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by anishub
TThe SATS lounge is run by a SQ owned subsidiary called SATS (Singapore Airport Terminal Services) for airlines that has no lounge in SIN (like UA) but flyinto SIN frequently.
SATS was diversified from SQ 2 years ago. No longer a subsidiary.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold
You flew their "Regional" product too, its even better in the long haul product (for C and F at least).

Also Australia has very high fares on all airlines, so your 7x the cost per mile is irrelevant. It is rare to get to Asia for under a grand at the best of times no matter which airline.

Glad you enjoyed it, I tried to talk my aunt into trying SQ or Asiana but she is worried she wont like it, so sticks to UA C between LAX and SYD :-/
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Also is "highly competent" airline also state sponsored (if not now but perhaps when it was growing in not so distant past)
I have to say your comment make no sense. The U.S. airline industry was regulated until the late 70s so UA's first 50 years or so were with the pleasure of government protection.

More recently, UA used American Chapter 11 laws to reorganize. I believe a similar business in Singapore would have been liquidated. Highly unlikely in Singapore the bosses would have walked away with huge financial awards as well
Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Also is "highly competent" airline also state sponsored (if not now but perhaps when it was growing in not so distant past)
Last time I checked a map of the world Singapore wasn't located between Qatar and the UAE. This isn't some oil-rich nation that sees money falling from trees - it's a country that has worked hard for everything it has achieved, and has been blessed with very good leadership that has allowed it to develop and flourish.

If you like you can buy shares in Singapore Airlines - they're a public company listed on the stock exchange.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aster
Who exactly can get into the Thai lounge? Just their own C/F travellers and TG *G?
I got in as a *G on a SQ coach ticket. The agent quizzed me about using the lounge closer to the SQ gates but I persisted and she let me in.

Originally Posted by davem4
You flew their "Regional" product too, its even better in the long haul product (for C and F at least).

Also Australia has very high fares on all airlines, so your 7x the cost per mile is irrelevant. It is rare to get to Asia for under a grand at the best of times no matter which airline. :-/
I think you're confusing me with the OP. I wasn't flying to Australia at all. I flew to another location in Asia. The OP is comparing UA coach to SQ coach and there is a notable difference in average price per mile between the two. Hence a notable difference in coach service on the aircraft.

OTOH, service on the ground with SQ IME has not been all that folks rave about.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:27 am
Suspended

You won't convince people here.. Most want to upgrade to a medicore product for nothing.

For anyone who lives and works in Asia, We PAY $$$$ for J and F. It's worth it.
They make it worth.

Flew UA F to DEN to LA to HNL last month.. It was a joke. Economy Service on SQ, CX, TG is fair superior to F on US carriers.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mtacchi
You won't convince people here.. Most want to upgrade to a medicore product for nothing.

For anyone who lives and works in Asia, We PAY $$$$ for J and F. It's worth it.
They make it worth.

Flew UA F to DEN to LA to HNL last month.. It was a joke. Economy Service on SQ, CX, TG is fair superior to F on US carriers.
While it is comparable, it is not better, after all, there are better seats, and real silverware in F
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
While it is comparable, it is not better, after all, there are better seats, and real silverware in F
Nope. Seat pitch on the B767 from DEN to LA to HNL (same plane) was equivalent ..maybe another inch, but frankly after 34' it doesn't matter to most people.. The stupid UA seats recline so far that if the person in front of you does go all the way back, you can't use your laptop.

As for cutlery, I don't recall. Seem to recall a sandwich of some sort to LA. ie.. no knife or fork and for the life of my I can't think of what they served to HNL.

Now I can tell you what i've eaten in F on my last 3 Emirates A380 flights.. I can even think of what Hawaiian served in F from HNL to SEA. But sorry.. Its atlas better on other international carriers in Y. If not WAY better.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:44 am
Suspended

Almost forgot..

NO AV on United in F but main screen. Doesn't even exist in Asia or Middle East.
Every Y seat has its own screen with AVOD or atlas 9-10 channels on a personal monitor.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:01 am

Nope. Seat pitch on the B767 from DEN to LA to HNL (same plane) was equivalent ..maybe another inch, but frankly after 34' it doesn't matter to most people.. The stupid UA seats recline so far that if the person in front of you does go all the way back, you can't use your laptop.

As for cutlery, I don't recall. Seem to recall a sandwich of some sort to LA. ie.. no knife or fork and for the life of my I can't think of what they served to HNL.

Now I can tell you what i've eaten in F on my last 3 Emirates A380 flights.. I can even think of what Hawaiian served in F from HNL to SEA. But sorry.. Its atlas better on other international carriers in Y. If not WAY better.

Point taken, on some flights though it would be better in US carriers in F then others in Y, but not always.
Almost forgot..

NO AV on United in F but main screen. Doesn't even exist in Asia or Middle East.
Every Y seat has its own screen with AVOD or atlas 9-10 channels on a personal monitor.
AVOD is very important to me as well. That is a plus on Asian carriers, even on 2hr flights AVOD is there. ^
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I got in as a *G on a SQ coach ticket. The agent quizzed me about using the lounge closer to the SQ gates but I persisted and she let me in.
Thank you for this interesting piece of information. I was not aware that coach travellers on SQ could escape to the TG lounge instead of the main *G lounge that SQ provides at Changi.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by aster
Thank you for this interesting piece of information. I was not aware that coach travellers on SQ could escape to the TG lounge instead of the main *G lounge that SQ provides at Changi.
You can use the TG lounge in T1, the STATS lounge in T2, and the *G lounge in T3. I prefer the STATS when I want a shower, and the *G lounge when I want better food. The TG lounge isn't that good in food aspects when I was there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.