Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:26 pm

Quick Q - is there a default deadline to accept waitlist once you clear ? I cleared today on a non-optimal flight and with the new hefty change fees am loathed to keep ticketing - but don't have a deadline in the email where it would usually be.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
Quick Q - is there a default deadline to accept waitlist once you clear ? I cleared today on a non-optimal flight and with the new hefty change fees am loathed to keep ticketing - but don't have a deadline in the email where it would usually be. Quick Q - is there a default deadline to accept waitlist once you clear ? I cleared today on a non-optimal flight and with the new hefty change fees am loathed to keep ticketing - but don't have a deadline in the email where it would usually be.
If you look at the SQ site under "Bookings" a deadline may show there.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:58 am

Looking at some flights two weeks or so out from Christmas that are currently available to book via UA/AV but only available to waitlist using KrisFlyer.

If these are available to partners, then surely that must mean:
a) a better than average chance of clearing the WL
b) the WL should clear relatively quickly

Anyone have any experience in this sort of situation?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by dog face
Looking at some flights two weeks or so out from Christmas that are currently available to book via UA/AV but only available to waitlist using KrisFlyer.
Have not seen that situation. Would guess that your hypotheses are correct. Have you asked SQ to send a chaser?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by dog face
Available for waitlist on Saver, or Advantage?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
This is a new one for me as someone who frequently waitlist tickets. I had SUB-SIN-LAX waitlisted in J. I cleared the SIN-LAX the next day but not the SUB-SIN segment. I searched for SUB-SIN individually and it's wide open, I could redeem 4 J seats on the date. I've called KF twice today and they won't budge on sending in a chaser on the SUB-SIN segment or with any other means of escalation.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I had SUB-SIN-LAX waitlisted in J. I cleared the SIN-LAX the next day but not the SUB-SIN segment. I searched for SUB-SIN individually and it's wide open, I could redeem 4 J seats on the date. I've called KF twice today and they won't budge on sending in a chaser on the SUB-SIN segment or with any other means of escalation.
I have also experienced this on SQ, where they clear one segment of a multi-segment trip, and then I've had to wait to see if the other segment clears. But they have always been willing to send a chaser. If needed I just HUCA and speak very sweetly and explain how it's a challenging situation.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by HariOm
I have also experienced this on SQ, where they clear one segment of a multi-segment trip, and then I've had to wait to see if the other segment clears. But they have always been willing to send a chaser. If needed I just HUCA and speak very sweetly and explain how it's a challenging situation.
I didn't have time to play the HUCA game yesterday. I called again this morning and the agent looked at my reservation with SIN-LAX being available for confirmation. She placed me on a five minute hold and came back letting me know that a chaser wasn't needed and that my SUB-SIN flight was now available for confirmation. So it all worked out!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Made a reservation for SIN-FRA in Biz for early next year where SQ326 (day flight) is available and SQ26 (night flight) is waitlist. Booked both together with one showing reserved now and the other as waitlisted. Now we wait and see.

May have to call though to check on what the ticketing deadline will be (for the reserved flight) as it is not showing under "Manage Bookings". YMMV.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I would like to share my first experience of using the waitlist function. I used it while trying to book one suites saver ticket last month on the SIN-FRA-JFK route for end July 2019. Now, it must be said that I don't have any status with SQ or Star Alliance and only occasionally fly them on revenue and that too in Y. Having tried their suites last year on the SIN-DEL route, I was looking to maximise my experience by trying to get a suites saver for this significantly longer route. Looking at dates in end July 2019 I couldn't find any saver availability for instant confirmation. This was expected. Without expecting much I however went ahead and waitlisted myself on a couple of dates and prayed that it would clear in the coming months. On one of the dates I waitlisted the suites saver, I was able to get instant confirmation in J saver, which I went ahead of booked on Oct 7th. After sending a couple of chasers, on Nov 1st, to my complete astonishment, the waitlist for one of the dates cleared and I promptly booked it by calling in. As it was for the same date and flight as the J saver, the CSO didn't even charge me any additional fees. And just like that I'll be flying SQ suites to JFK next year
gpeso8, AJ747M and JKmz like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: United, AA, BA, AF
Likelihood of a 2nd F waitlist on SQ26?

Singapore website was showing 2 waitlist F suites for next July FRA-JFK, so I transferred UR to KF to book that and then book two confirmed J as a backup. Once I get through the process of booking the F seats, I get an error that implies there is only one F seat saver waitlist available! This would have changed my strategy, but that's besides the point. I waitlisted two single F seats on consecutive days as consolation. Any chance another F saver award will open up to waitlist on either day? It's the return leg of my honeymoon so not keen on flying separate, and I don't want to book the confirmed J yet since then I won't have the miles to (hopefully) waitlist a second F suite on either of the days I already have one.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by GlasedDonut
I don't want to book the confirmed J yet since then I won't have the miles to (hopefully) waitlist a second F suite on either of the days I already have one.
I can't help regarding the likelihood of the F suite becoming available to waitlist, but I would just say that when I dozily booked some sub-optimal flights before waitlisting for the preferred ones (and thus didn't have the miles to waitlist), I explained the problem to an agent using the online chat function and he was happy to waitlist them for me even though I had precisely zero miles in my account. I don't have enough experience of SQ to know if I was just lucky or if this is commonplace, but there is a least a chance that even if you go ahead and confirm the J seats, you will still be able to waitlist a second F suite.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: United, AA, BA, AF
Thanks, I may do that! Leads me to a second question:

On the dates I'm looking at, J is waitlist saver, or confirmed standard award. Can I book the waitlist in J, and if it doesn't clear within a few months, book a confirmed J on the exact same flight? I know you can't do the other way around (book a confirmed J standard, then get a cheaper saver fare if it opens up).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GlasedDonut
I know you can't do the other way around (book a confirmed J standard, then get a cheaper saver fare if it opens up).
You can! My sister did this when he flew SIN-EWR last week. She booked her award ticket 3-4 weeks prior to departure at Advantage level, as it was available for instant confirmation. But before doing so she waitlisted herself on the exact same flight at Saver level. One week prior to departure her waitlist cleared and over the phone the CSO cancelled her Advantage ticket (a change fee was charged) and then booked her Saver award ticket. She got the difference in miles credited back to her account instantly.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
You can! My sister did this when he flew SIN-EWR last week. She booked her award ticket 3-4 weeks prior to departure at Advantage level, as it was available for instant confirmation. But before doing so she waitlisted herself on the exact same flight at Saver level. One week prior to departure her waitlist cleared and over the phone the CSO cancelled her Advantage ticket (a change fee was charged) and then booked her Saver award ticket. She got the difference in miles credited back to her account instantly.
Does this same philosophy apply for booking confirmed Saver in J/Business, and then waitlisting for F? You would just cancel the J and get ticketed on the F?

In that scenario would your account need to have enough points to cover both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.