Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by ds1
I was able to book an Advantage award for an upcoming flight (SQ32/33) but am currently still waitlisted for a few Saver awards on the same flight. If by chance the Saver awards do clear, would I be able to request a refund on my Advantage award to book the Saver?
Yes, you would be able to switch to the saver and get the excess miles refunded to your KF account.

BUT ... I would imagine it being highly unlikely to happen: Why would SQ open up Saver waitlists when there are confirmed / ticketed Advantage awards booked?

(The scenario where you might have more chance of success is, you are ticketed Advantage on one flight, and waitlisted Saver on a different one)
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Yes, you would be able to switch to the saver and get the excess miles refunded to your KF account.
IIRC, it has to be a cancellation and "fresh" booking. KF has a clause that no refunds of miles would be made if lesser miles is required, if it is a change of booking type only.

Originally Posted by shuigao
BUT ... I would imagine it being highly unlikely to happen: Why would SQ open up Saver waitlists when there are confirmed / ticketed Advantage awards booked?
My personal experience on this:
Already have 4x J saver booked for this particular flight. 5th and 6th passenger waitlisted for both F and J saver. I was tired of waiting for the saver and confirmed 1 pax in F advantage and 1 pax in J advantage, while still waitlisted for saver separately. CSO also agreed that this would hurt my chances for the saver waitlists. To my surprise, the F saver cleared for both passengers (not sure if 2nd saver cleared before or after the F advantage was cancelled). This is a plane with only 4 F seats, and with about 3 weeks to the flight, F is empty except for the 2 of us. J saver has not cleared. Cancelled advantage award for US$50, and made a "new" booking for F saver for a difference of 50k miles back.

So having advantage booked/reserved for the same flight as saver waitlist, for my 2 experiences for the same flight in different cabin at least, still has a chance of clearing.

Last edited by fone; Nov 26, 2019 at 6:11 am
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
There are rumors that the A380 will be pulled from JFK from winter 2020, replaced by the 777-300ER. N SQ will start direct SIN-JFK using the ULR A350.

we shall wait n see
Im looking to book JFK-SIN in suites for January 2021 so this would be very disappointing. If this change is made that would mean SQ has no A380s and no suites flying to the US. Is the demand really that low that theyd rather have the suites flying elsewhere?

Also, what would happen to the FRA flights if they switch to direct? Would SQ no longer fly to FRA?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by setho212
Im looking to book JFK-SIN in suites for January 2021 so this would be very disappointing. If this change is made that would mean SQ has no A380s and no suites flying to the US. Is the demand really that low that theyd rather have the suites flying elsewhere?

Also, what would happen to the FRA flights if they switch to direct? Would SQ no longer fly to FRA?
So far it is speculation. They are saying that A380 will be back on SIN-NRT-LAX route. Actually SQ have no problem filling the A380 between SIN-JFK (even Y seats are alway sold out). It is just a rumor.

I would think SQ will add another 4xweekly flight to EWR instead. And 3xweekly to Chicago all using the ULR plane.

As for FRA, currently there is one daily SIN-FRA n one daily SIN-FRA-JFK. So it still the same except that the plane type might change if SQ really fly direct to JFK.

Just wait for the announcement which should come very soon.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:02 pm

So far it is speculation. They are saying that A380 will be back on SIN-NRT-LAX route. Actually SQ have no problem filling the A380 between SIN-JFK (even Y seats are alway sold out). It is just a rumor.

I would think SQ will add another 4xweekly flight to EWR instead. And 3xweekly to Chicago all using the ULR plane.

As for FRA, currently there is one daily SIN-FRA n one daily SIN-FRA-JFK. So it still the same except that the plane type might change if SQ really fly direct to JFK.

Just wait for the announcement which should come very soon.
would a ORD flight direct to SIN Be longer/further than the EWR flight ?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Just adding a data point.

Had booked 4 J Savers last March on SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX for early Jan 2020. It is the return from a holiday trip that starts in Hong Kong. Back when the protests started getting serious I came up with a few options that would allow us to shorten our HKG portion or skip altogether -- and could be left to decide around now. But needed our flight back to LAX to be two days later to allow enough time for the alternate options. There was no availability but they let me waitlist SQ36, SQ38, and SQ12 for two days later -- we were added to the lists back on September 10th.

Have been checking our waitlist date and +/1 days pretty frequently the past two months. At one point in October, 3 J Savers were available on SQ36, but we did not clear since we needed 4. Had also followed up via email a couple times, but I guess had never sent my official chaser. Since I now need to start making some decisions about our trip, was re-reading these threads and about the manual nature of the waitlist. So called yesterday afternoon to ask how the flight loads were looking -- reservations said they cannot see the status, but they would send the chaser. The 4 of us cleared SQ36 about 5 hours later (emails and texts to let me know). Called back - $100 date change fee ($25 x 4) - tickets changed and good to go. Thrilled to now have the extra days and the non-stop flight.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
So I find myself in a somewhat strange situation:
I have a Suite Saver confirmed for LHR - SIN - HKG departing on 16 Dec 8pm and waitlisted for ZRH - SIN - HKG on the same day, at the saver level; both itineraries are under the same booking reference.
It is obviously less than 14 days from the intended travel date now but my waitlist has not been cancelled. (Whilst my other waitlists in separate bookings have been cancelled)

Is there a chance my waitlist will still be cleared at some point before the 16th?

Last edited by ronald55; Dec 3, 2019 at 6:32 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:08 pm

Looking to book two seats in J for a flight where one seat is available, the other waitlisted. I know this is the nature of the game, but I'm really unsettled about transferring nearly miles into my account with the uncertainty that I'll snag both seats. I am about a week and a half out from the two week notification mark. Anyone have a data point as to how many actually miles I'll need to have in my account to book/waitlist two seats? This will irreversibly wipe out all of my MR points, which is why I am dragging on pulling the trigger.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Looking to book two seats in J for a flight where one seat is available, the other waitlisted. I know this is the nature of the game, but I'm really unsettled about transferring nearly miles into my account with the uncertainty that I'll snag both seats. I am about a week and a half out from the two week notification mark. Anyone have a data point as to how many actually miles I'll need to have in my account to book/waitlist two seats? This will irreversibly wipe out all of my MR points, which is why I am dragging on pulling the trigger.
Call n ask whether can hold the available seat for you without miles and also put on waitlist for the seat. Tell them that you wish to confirm if both seats can be clear.

Soem agent should be able to help.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I have waitlisted without points in the account before.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lilkid28
Same. Just need to call it in.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbuckho
Just adding a data point.

Had booked 4 J Savers last March on SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX for early Jan 2020. It is the return from a holiday trip that starts in Hong Kong. Back when the protests started getting serious I came up with a few options that would allow us to shorten our HKG portion or skip altogether -- and could be left to decide around now. But needed our flight back to LAX to be two days later to allow enough time for the alternate options. There was no availability but they let me waitlist SQ36, SQ38, and SQ12 for two days later -- we were added to the lists back on September 10th.

Have been checking our waitlist date and +/1 days pretty frequently the past two months. At one point in October, 3 J Savers were available on SQ36, but we did not clear since we needed 4. Had also followed up via email a couple times, but I guess had never sent my official chaser. Since I now need to start making some decisions about our trip, was re-reading these threads and about the manual nature of the waitlist. So called yesterday afternoon to ask how the flight loads were looking -- reservations said they cannot see the status, but they would send the chaser. The 4 of us cleared SQ36 about 5 hours later (emails and texts to let me know). Called back - $100 date change fee ($25 x 4) - tickets changed and good to go. Thrilled to now have the extra days and the non-stop flight.

i am in the same boat. have a confirmed reservation for 4 on SIN to LAX and also have a waitlist reservation for the day prior. Never asked for a chaser before. what do i have to ask for?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:41 am

Just checking in.

Is anyone planning to fly on the new A380 suites from NRT-SIN? Apparently they're switching planes next month (Jan). I'm currently waitlisted on a SQ637 flight for the suite redemption.

I already have J Savers booked on a SQ11 flight and the same for the SQ639 flight. *Fingers crossed*
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I'd been waitlisted for ~3mths for a HND-SIN J seat (confirmed in PE) and it was still waitlisted when I was checking in for my flight yesterday. At the check-in counter they asked if I would still like to change my seat and I said yes. The manager called the SQ SIN office to confirm the additional mileage and change fee, and I got my ticket sorted out in about 10-15mins.
pokfur and jongesander like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:24 pm

Call n ask whether can hold the available seat for you without miles and also put on waitlist for the seat. Tell them that you wish to confirm if both seats can be clear.

Soem agent should be able to help.
Originally Posted by lilkid28
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Same. Just need to call it in.
Thank you all, I was able to call and get a rep that could assist me with waitlisting both seats with 0 miles in my Kris account, even received an email confirmation within minutes of calling.

Originally Posted by fimo
I'd been waitlisted for ~3mths for a HND-SIN J seat (confirmed in PE) and it was still waitlisted when I was checking in for my flight yesterday. At the check-in counter they asked if I would still like to change my seat and I said yes. The manager called the SQ SIN office to confirm the additional mileage and change fee, and I got my ticket sorted out in about 10-15mins.

I am very confused by this, I thought that with SQ's new rules, waitlisted seats have to clear within two weeks of flight or they are canceled. Although when I tried to confirm this while on the phone reserving waitlisted flights, the rep told me they could not provide authenticate anything

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.