Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines temporarily halts flights of its fleet of 11 Airbus A380s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines temporarily halts flights of its fleet of 11 Airbus A380s

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: QFF WP
Interesting given these planes were each said to have been inspected right after the QF event, with no problems found -- and five days later here we are with the same issue. QF took a lot of flak, but this in my mind vindicates them and shows an appropriately conservative attitude to safety.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Television news in the US is reporting this morning that SQ is grounding three of its A380s to change their engines. This agrees with the statement quoted in a privious post from SQ yesterday.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Interesting that RR apparently just announced today that they are "closing in on" the problem. That was reported on radio news in Rio (MEC) in Portuguese. I have not yet read similar info in English but I'm sure it is there by now.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by mrkz
Interesting given these planes were each said to have been inspected right after the QF event, with no problems found -- and five days later here we are with the same issue. QF took a lot of flak, but this in my mind vindicates them and shows an appropriately conservative attitude to safety.
This also shows that contrary to all the Union's bashing of QF maintenance, it seems that QF engineers are on top of SQ ones... How come, QF discovered the oil and SQ initially did not but now did? Perhaps they got a hint from QF where to look at???
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by vbroucek
This also shows that contrary to all the Union's bashing of QF maintenance
I don't think the union was bashing the Australian Maintenance, rather off-shore was their target.

it seems that QF engineers are on top of SQ ones...
How come, QF discovered the oil and SQ initially did not but now did? Perhaps they got a hint from QF where to look at???
Perhaps cause QF and RR took apart the whole thing? The initial inspection probably looked for any major signs of material fatigue, amongst other items, which apparently weren't discovered.

Once RR and QF took the engines apart, obviously they probably discovered something that couldn't be detected going by the regular checklists and pointed SQ to the exact issue. This has nothing to do with competence, rather full access to the entire engine and revising the checklists.

Besides, just cause SQ is swapping engines does not mean they actually discovered something, it could very well be a pre-cautionary and PR related move so they got their bums covered just in case.

No where it's stated they found oil where there shouldn't be on SQ engines! Even when they found oil on QF engines, it wasn't called a catastrophic issue, rather a surprising issue given the age of the engines, hinting that had the engines been older, it would have been acceptable for this oil to appear where they found it.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by payam81
I don't think the union was bashing the Australian Maintenance, rather off-shore was their target.

Perhaps cause QF and RR took apart the whole thing? The initial inspection probably looked for any major signs of material fatigue, amongst other items, which apparently weren't discovered.
But they took those three engines apart only after they found something suspicious. They did not tell what and only later admited the oil...

Once RR and QF took the engines apart, obviously they probably discovered something that couldn't be detected going by the regular checklists and pointed SQ to the exact issue. This has nothing to do with competence, rather full access to the entire engine and revising the checklists.
AFAIK, SQ did not take those engines apart to found the oil stains (as reported by Reuters and others), they found it on engines still firmly attached to a/c.

Besides, just cause SQ is swapping engines does not mean they actually discovered something, it could very well be a pre-cautionary and PR related move so they got their bums covered just in case.

No where it's stated they found oil where there shouldn't be on SQ engines! Even when they found oil on QF engines, it wasn't called a catastrophic issue, rather a surprising issue given the age of the engines, hinting that had the engines been older, it would have been acceptable for this oil to appear where they found it.
According to Reuters:
Nov 10 (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines (SIAL.SI) said it is changing the engines on three of its A380 aircraft due to the discovery of oil stains.

"With these three engines we found oil stains, but this is different to what Qantas had found," an airline spokeswoman said on Wednesday.
This makes it even more interesting because it then cannot be based on QF's discovery as you argued above...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:50 pm

This also shows that contrary to all the Union's bashing of QF maintenance, it seems that QF engineers are on top of SQ ones... How come, QF discovered the oil and SQ initially did not but now did? Perhaps they got a hint from QF where to look at???
I did not say QF Australian maintenance, I said QF maintenance as you can see clearly above...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.