Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

B777-300ERs when do they stop being "new"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

On 28 November 2006 SQ took on it's 1st B777-300ER with the refitted seats.

So I've had nearly FOUR years of flying around in this "new" product, paying a premium on fares and having to pay double miles on redemption tickets.

When is SQ going consider this a non-premium product? I guess the answer from SQ's point of view is "we're not, as long as we can get away with charging more for it"?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by tourcd
I guess the answer from SQ's point of view is "we're not, as long as we can get away with charging more for it"?
Probably. I'd suggest if SQ's attitude is offensive flying other airlines (e.g.: Emirates)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
SQ just considers these aircrafts and the A345, and A380 as having a different kind of long haul Business Class seats.

Just be grateful that they have not grouped all Business and First Class redemption seats totally out of reach like they have done so with another FFP - eg Virgin's!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Probably. I'd suggest if SQ's attitude is offensive flying other airlines (e.g.: Emirates)
That's a tough one to call, because if you compare the two airlines on this very metal (777-300ER) then SQ C has a 1-2-1 seat layout whereas Emirates has... 2-3-2. 4 seats across compares to 7 seats accross.

Still I agree that something needs to be done, especially if the 747s are to be replaced. What then, basically no saver awards on long-haul? That would be tragic. My guess is that they'll do a complete over-haul of the award system as they cannot expect people to redeem at so-called "normal" (double the saver miles required) rates.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
On 28 November 2006 SQ took on it's 1st B777-300ER with the refitted seats.

So I've had nearly FOUR years of flying around in this "new" product, paying a premium on fares and having to pay double miles on redemption tickets.

When is SQ going consider this a non-premium product? I guess the answer from SQ's point of view is "we're not, as long as we can get away with charging more for it"?
Why do you pay the premium if you think it's not worth it?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by payam81
I guess for some SQ frequent flyer there is not much of a choice for certain sectors because only the "new" business / suite seats are available.

Personally, I also think after 4 years, the products are really not so new anymore and many times do not even look new anymore. It seems to me that this is a way for SQ to reduce the number of awards redeemed seats, particularly those redeemed using other Star Alliance frequent flyer programs.

Last edited by anaidross; Sep 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by anaidross
It seems to me that this is a way for SQ to reduce the number of awards redeemed seats, particularly those redeemed using other Star Alliance frequent flyer programs.
^

What SQ should do is reduce the insane figures to something more manageable but still a fraction higher than the standard saver to bar redemptions from other *A FFPs. i.e. BD
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:40 am
Original Poster

*A LHR-SIN, no option unless I fancy killing time in another European hub, no thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
*A LHR-SIN, no option unless I fancy killing time in another European hub, no thanks.
Then you're paying for the convenience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending SQ's policy, but so long as people, just like yourself, redeem and pay for the product, how can you fault them?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Then you're paying for the convenience.
If I were paying and not my employer then perhaps I'd be prepared to be inconvenienced.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
These will stop being new when the 777-600ER's come into play.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
LHR has had some of the cheapest connections from Europe to SIN in recent years, but nowadays I'm seeing more of them 'sweed deals' from places like FRA or MUC.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by aster
That's a tough one to call, because if you compare the two airlines on this very metal (777-300ER) then SQ C has a 1-2-1 seat layout whereas Emirates has... 2-3-2. 4 seats across compares to 7 seats accross.
That is somewhat meaningless - you ought to compare the pitch (which is much smaller on SQ) and the width of the seat.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:29 pm

I guess it will never stop to be 'new'.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by ung1
That is somewhat meaningless - you ought to compare the pitch (which is much smaller on SQ) and the width of the seat.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sin..._777-300ER.php

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emi...0ER_3class.php

So you reckon EK would have wider seats with their terrible 2-3-2 layout than SQ has with a 1-2-1 setup on the exact same metal?

Just looking at the stats on the 77W in C on both airlines, Emirates has a seat width of 20.5" whereas SQ has... 30". That's quite a difference (SQ even has 19" in Y).

We are talking about the new SQ C here, and it's pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to flying biz (big, wide seats, everyone has aisle access, etc.). Pity though that it makes no sense to burn miles on rewards in new C as you can spend less to get into the old F on the 744 which is still a great product.

Last edited by aster; Oct 4, 2010 at 3:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.