FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   SQ *G benefits for non *G pax on same reservation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1127092-sq-g-benefits-non-g-pax-same-reservation.html)

quantumslip Sep 16, 2010 12:11 pm

SQ *G benefits for non *G pax on same reservation

My parents, brothers, and I are going to Asia this Winter, flying on SQ. I have *G for now via CO, and the others do not have any status. I know lounge access is limited to 1 additional person, but I was wondering about priority boarding, checkin, and bags. Can they all come along with me to the *G line and stuff? What's been your experiences in doing this?

We'll all be in the same reservation, and there's 5 of us total.

insigma Sep 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by quantumslip (Post 14668738)
My parents, brothers, and I are going to Asia this Winter, flying on SQ. I have *G for now via CO, and the others do not have any status. I know lounge access is limited to 1 additional person, but I was wondering about priority boarding, checkin, and bags. Can they all come along with me to the *G line and stuff? What's been your experiences in doing this?

I have seen people one case where 2 additional persons with a *G member to checkin at the business class counter, but i think that might have been a one off? If you were PPS, you might be able to stretch it, but *G doesn't really give you a huge amount of benefits when it comes to SQ processing. You can always try? I have only ever done it as myself + 1 and it hasn't been an issue so far.

As for priority boarding, i have found that SQ boarding these days is a bit disorganised and most times they either don't check my status when called or they call everyone at once. Usually the time between babies, older people, F, J, PPS, *G and then the back 20 rows is only a couple of minutes, although long haul is a different story. can't say for sure..

Bags, definitely not. only you'd get the extra 20kg

Penguinmoon Sep 16, 2010 11:33 pm

It might just depend on the Station. I was traveling MEL-SIN with two colleagues and myself on the same reservation: I have *G, my co-workers no status. The agent in MEL checked us all in, gave us all the luggage allowance, and tagged both their bags priority. Further, we were all given fast track passess thru immigration, and lounge access.

This never would have happened SIN-MEL.

General_Flyer Sep 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by quantumslip (Post 14668738)

I think for terms of priority boarding, check-in, and bags... the only one who can get extra allowance would be you. As for check-in, most of the times they would allow you to check in with your entire family (as was in my case for several times), and also with priority boarding, just tell the gate officer that they're with you and every time (well, in my case anyway) they allow you to do so...

toyotaboy95 Sep 18, 2010 12:37 am

There's no official rule governing the maximum number of companions that can also receive *G benefits (but excluding lounge access, where the number is stated). Some *A airlines such as LH limit it to 1 guest - which is in-line with that of the lounge rules while others have no maximum supposing that it is a reasonable number of people.

The worst that can happen is that they'll redirect you to the Economy Class desk for check-in etc.

demue Sep 18, 2010 1:07 am

One extra person I don't think is an issue. I frequently travel with my GF and luggage always gets tagged as priority. However, these trips were Inner-Asia and my luggage allowance of 40kg (Y 20+20) or 50kg (C 30 + 20) has always been enough to cover both our bags so it just got tagged to me as *G.

When it comes to lounge access one guest is fine but more then that I have seen consistently rejected by SQ staff (if a SKL) even for TPPs (Solitaire). YMMV.

Boarding depends. I think it will work and I always board together with my GF showing my *G card which they just glance at. If you bring two extra people should also work but bringing in 4 more people is a bit 'naughty' in my view but you may still pull it off for inner asia flights. My last longhauls they did the checks for F,C, PPS, *G already when people where queueing up and directed the ones that didn't belong into the C queue for examle to the Y line. One travel companion was fine but again YMMV.

weero Sep 18, 2010 7:18 am

For the same PNR, there is no upper limit for the number of companions who can be checked in. At least there is none published.

Lounge access is alliance-wide capped at one guest unless a carrier specifies exceptions (such as immediate family members).

Luggage also varies across the alliance, with some US carriers extending the *G free luggage and excess luggage to up to 2 companions.

quantumslip Sep 22, 2010 11:10 pm

I guess I'll see what happens then, seems the general consensus is YMMV, thanks a lot.

FWIW the route on SQ is IAH-DME-SIN-HKG-SFO

aster Sep 27, 2010 3:53 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 14692709)
For the same PNR, there is no upper limit for the number of companions who can be checked in. At least there is none published.

From my experience I have never had any problems checking-in both myself and other people at the *G desk even though I was the only one with status.

If everyone's on the same PNR as you then there should be no issues whatsoever, regardless of whether they're family/friends/others.

Of course as mentioned, only you get the +20kg and you can only bring in one additional person into the lounge.

weero Sep 27, 2010 10:32 am

[QUOTE=aster;14804662..Of course as mentioned, only you get the +20kg and you can only bring in one additional person into the lounge.[/QUOTE]
Upon two occasions when calling SQ ZRH assured me that ONE companion would get the +20kg to SIN as well and upon both occasions it was not even an issue during check-in ^.

I wonder how that is handled when traveling on a pc route. Does the companion then get an extra bag as well?