Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines Suites: Mileage Required for Redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines Suites: Mileage Required for Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by flyGreg
I support SQ keeping A380/77W premium seats away from alliance partners. The product is superior and I am happy paying more for it. If you just want cheap, use your SQ miles for a Star Saver award and fly Thai/LH/Swiss.
Yes I will use my SQ miles for SIN-NRT-SIN Y saver on the A380. Only costs around 28k with the online redemption bonus.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:32 pm

Maybe there's one of life's little hints thrown in here.

It's the same idea behind the company basketball team sign-up sheet being placed 9 ft up from the ground with no table, chair or step ladder nearby.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Maybe, just maybe, that the A380 Suites are not as good as everyone thinks?! Afterall, a nice J/F seat is sufficient? It is certainly not worth that many points. Sometimes it is better off redeeming KF miles on *A Awards rather than SQ.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
So should we wait and see how the new CEO will kick the ball?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Are these the most expensive awards in the airline industry? I think they are, by a wide margin. I mean, other airlines run "million mile giveaways" as promotions and prizes because it's such a valuable prize. SQ, they'll just take a million miles for one award, thank you very much. The nerve, the arrogance!
Indeed, these levels are outrageous!!!! The EK F suites are better and EK doesn't require nearly as many miles to upgrade to F or redeem an F ticket for flights operated by aircraft with F suites.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by fly747first
Indeed, these levels are outrageous!!!! The EK F suites are better and EK doesn't require nearly as many miles to upgrade to F or redeem an F ticket for flights operated by aircraft with F suites.
i've been looking for a review comparing EK suites with SQ suites, got a link you can share?

cheers
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by afhstingray
i've been looking for a review comparing EK suites with SQ suites, got a link you can share?

cheers
I have flown them both and will summarize the major differences below:

EK F Suites
* Feature electric doors that close very well
* Sturdy partitions that help to maximize privacy
* Small vanity area
* In-suite mini-bar
* Ability to convert your seat into a bed at the touch of a button
* Adjustable air conditioning vent
* Elegant materials surrounding the suite
* No companion seat
* Overall, the EK suites feel more spacious than the SQ ones and have sufficient space for a small to medium sized carry-on item

SQ F Suites
* Flimsy, non-electric doors that do not close well when the aircraft is not leveled
* Weak, see-through wall partitions that even when fully closed permit others to see into your suite
* No vanity area
* No mini-bar
* Turning the seat into a bed is very complex and usually requires two cabin crew members
* No air conditioning vent
* The suites are nice, but because many of the materials seem like cheap plastic, they do not have the rich feeling of the EK suites
* Small companion seat with additional seat belt
* Not a lot of space inside the suite and only a very small carry-on item will fit beneath the companion seat

As much as I love SQ, its A380 suites leave much to be desired in comparison to EK's.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by afhstingray

cheers
A380 first class suites comparison - Emirates, Qantas and Singapore

A380 business class comparison - Emirates, Qantas and Singapore
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevenshev
So let me get this straight.

For 2mm Amex MR, I can get a $20,000 credit towards a SYD-LHR roundtrip in R, have a few k left over for the hotel in London, earn PPS status, and lots of miles...or I can get an award ticket?

Moronic.
I'm a little late to the party, but this was my first reaction -- surely the "Pay With Amex MR Points" would be a better deal? So I priced LHR-SIN in Suites, and it's about US$11k (about US$9k for the 77W). So 1.1 million MR points, or 2 million KF miles.

Honestly, it's so offensive, it makes me never want to spend a dollar with SQ. Even if I'm flying NYC-SIN for Business, I think I'll just take a connection on LH or NH or whatever other *A partner in silent protest.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm a little late to the party, but this was my first reaction -- surely the "Pay With Amex MR Points" would be a better deal? So I priced LHR-SIN in Suites, and it's about US$11k (about US$9k for the 77W). So 1.1 million MR points, or 2 million KF miles.

Honestly, it's so offensive, it makes me never want to spend a dollar with SQ. Even if I'm flying NYC-SIN for Business, I think I'll just take a connection on LH or NH or whatever other *A partner in silent protest.
I agree it is quite abusive, but SQ seems determined to protect its highest class of service.

If I were you, I'd think twice about switching to LH or NH C. Both have pretty uncomfortable slanted seats and huge business class cabins on many planes, which stresses the cabin crews and hinders their performance.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
I agree it is quite abusive, but SQ seems determined to protect its highest class of service.

If I were you, I'd think twice about switching to LH or NH C. Both have pretty uncomfortable slanted seats and huge business class cabins on many planes, which stresses the cabin crews and hinders their performance.
JFK-FRA and LAX-NRT have uncomfortable slanted seats on SQ... NH is offering great service and food. LH is only third in terms of service and food - but they offer most promotions, allowing to fly Business for the smallest money.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SMK77
JFK-FRA and LAX-NRT have uncomfortable slanted seats on SQ... NH is offering great service and food. LH is only third in terms of service and food - but they offer most promotions, allowing to fly Business for the smallest money.
I guess you missed the memo that SQ assigns more cabin crews than LH and NH, not to mention that at the end of the day, SQ is the 5-star carrier, while LH and NH fall under the 4-star category. If you want a cheap product, then fly LH, but please don't even try to compare it to SQ's J product because even with the old 747s SQ beats the hell out of LH.

Oh and by the way, when was the last time NH won the World's Best Cabin Staff award? Hmmmm, never, while SQ has won it many times, including last year.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:43 pm

I guess you missed the memo that SQ assigns more cabin crews than LH and NH, not to mention that at the end of the day, SQ is the 5-star carrier, while LH and NH fall under the 4-star category. If you want a cheap product, then fly LH, but please don't even try to compare it to SQ's J product because even with the old 747s SQ beats the hell out of LH.

Oh and by the way, when was the last time NH won the World's Best Cabin Staff award? Hmmmm, never, while SQ has won it many times, including last year.
Amen brother.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And that's why it's so offensive. If they really were just protecting it, it would be priced much higher than the competition, but I don't think this is always the case (correct me if I'm wrong). They're just saying they don't want the likes of us in their Suites cabins...

Well, those were just examples of the options, there are others. Generally I'm fine on most angled-flat products. The main advantage of SQ would be the nonstop, but that is a 100 passenger J cabin on the 345, so I'm not sure of your point about the disadvantage of a huge J cabin. (And are all those pax in the lounge at EWR at the same time?!?)
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I guess you missed the memo that SQ assigns more cabin crews than LH and NH, not to mention that at the end of the day, SQ is the 5-star carrier...
I missed that one too ... who cares whom they bribed to get a higher ranking than other carriers. There are 10 times more rankings out there than carriers.
...while LH and NH fall under the 4-star category. If you want a cheap product, then fly LH, but please don't even try to compare it to SQ's J product because even with the old 747s SQ beats the hell out of LH.
Total rubbish, SQ's SpaceBed is just an atavistic version of LH uncomfortable C stool. To make matters worse, it nonetheless is the second best chair SQ offers in their C configurations. You can end up on dramatically worse seats.
..Oh and by the way, when was the last time NH won the World's Best Cabin Staff award? Hmmmm, never, while SQ has won it many times, including last year.
Why do you need to read some reporter's paid babble if you can form your own opinion? I fail to even see a remote argument in second hand propaganda.

Now SQ's new seats are indeed a world of their own and they beat anything I have seen so far, including fishbone designs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.