Shower after 18 hour flight in Business

Old Apr 28, 10, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Shower after 18 hour flight in Business

Extensive search on this and other forums on this board seem to indicate that Singapore ailine does not allow access to shower facility to pax flying 18-odd hours in Business from EWR or LAX and landing in early morning hours.

Singapore Airline phone reps in USA lines (3 confirmed, 1 didnt know) insist that Business pax flying in from EWR/LAX do have access to shower in SKL.

is it something new or just one more confirmation that Singapore Airline's #1 rservice rating is out of sync with reality.

Any recent travellers have any info?
Old Apr 28, 10, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by desi View Post
....is it something new or just one more confirmation that Singapore Airline's #1 rservice rating is out of sync with reality.....
SQ is *1 in the air, #94 on the ground. That is until SQ outsources inflight service someday.

What else can you expect from outsourced Indian call center?

SQ doesn't provide arrival service at LAX. I believe the only SQ station with arrival service is LHR.
Old Apr 28, 10, 11:29 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
SQ is *1 in the air, #94 on the ground. That is until SQ outsources inflight service someday.

What else can you expect from outsourced Indian call center?

SQ doesn't provide arrival service at LAX. I believe the only SQ station with arrival service is LHR.
OP is asking about a confirmation that there is shower service available in SIN. Note "from EWR/LAX" in the OP can only mean to SIN.
Old Apr 29, 10, 12:51 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, KF Gold
Originally Posted by desi View Post
Extensive search on this and other forums on this board seem to indicate that Singapore ailine does not allow access to shower facility to pax flying 18-odd hours in Business from EWR or LAX and landing in early morning hours.

Singapore Airline phone reps in USA lines (3 confirmed, 1 didnt know) insist that Business pax flying in from EWR/LAX do have access to shower in SKL.

is it something new or just one more confirmation that Singapore Airline's #1 rservice rating is out of sync with reality.

Any recent travellers have any info?

Yes, the SKL (at any airport) is only for departing passengers and there is no arrival lounge in SIN. It doesn't matter how many call center agents you talk to, the answer is no. It has nothing to do with SQ being #1 service in the air and #94 on the ground, that is the rule of SKL lounge access.

However, since SIN airport does not have physical segregation between arriving pax from departing pax (unlike HKG, ICN, NRT), it is possible for you to access SKL upon arrival before clearing immigration and customs. Just ask the lounge agent nicely, most of them will let you in since the lounge will not be busy at the time of your arrival.
Old Apr 29, 10, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The reason why SQ does not have an 'Arrivals' lounge in SIN is cos that you can arrive and be at your hotel in less than an hour. So better to get showered and changed into fresh clothes there than at same old clothes at lounge.

Although 3TEN says you can just ask at the lounge in SIN, please be prepared to accept a "No, sorry" as rules stipulate that you must have a departure boarding pass before you will be allowed in.

The Arrivals lounge concept at LHR is run by VS anyway.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 29, 10 at 1:28 am
Old Apr 29, 10, 6:05 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
So sounds easy enough - just buy a full fare connecting ticket to somewhere like CGK
later on the day of arrival, use the facilities, then cancel the ticket. You can always
short-check luggage.
Old Apr 29, 10, 6:11 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
The reason why SQ does not have an 'Arrivals' lounge in SIN is cos that you can arrive and be at your hotel in less than an hour. So better to get showered and changed into fresh clothes there than at same old clothes at lounge.
That is the truth. I can de-plane at Changi, get my bags and clear customs and immigration and be in a cab in 15mins. The only airport in the world I can do that at. Nowhere else I know of comes close.
Old Apr 29, 10, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Desi if you are not connecting onto another flight at Changi upon arival and you feel you badly need a shower I recommend the handicapped washrooms where you can happlily wipe down with a face cloth before heading down to Immigration and your hotel.
Please don't blame the airline just because they do not have an arrivals lounge due to the set up of the airport.
When travelling in J I always get up 3 hours before landing and use the planes washroom and wipe myself with a facecloth and shave as well so I look awake and smell good for the SQ girls.
Old Apr 29, 10, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Desi if you are not connecting onto another flight at Changi upon arival and you feel you badly need a shower I recommend the handicapped washrooms where you can happlily wipe down with a face cloth before heading down to Immigration and your hotel.
Please don't blame the airline just because they do not have an arrivals lounge due to the set up of the airport.
When travelling in J I always get up 3 hours before landing and use the planes washroom and wipe myself with a facecloth and shave as well so I look awake and smell good for the SQ girls.

SQ can have an arrivals lounge at Changi if it so chose -- they choose not to. So yes, the airline can be "blamed". Whether it's worth SQ's while to have an arrivals lounge is a completely separate question.
Old Apr 29, 10, 6:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Exactly.

Everything here is such a breeze that you literally walk through passport control, pick up your bag(s) which should already be on the conveyor belt by the time you get there, and grab a taxi which will drop you off at your hotel in like 20 mins.
Old Apr 29, 10, 7:28 am

Programs: skymiles,
Sorry to piggy-back on this but it does sort of pertain. I will be arriving from EWR (SQ21) at 5:50am I believe but not continuing on to Delhi until 18:50 pm. The Delhi flight is business as well. Will I have access to a shower upon landing? What terminal lounge would have this facility?

I'm looking to spend a better part of the day in Singapore and wanted to freshen up upon landing and later before leaving.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 10, 7:30 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Tsukiji View Post
Sorry to piggy-back on this but it does sort of pertain. I will be arriving from EWR (SQ21) at 5:50am I believe but not continuing on to Delhi until 18:50 pm. The Delhi flight is business as well. Will I have access to a shower upon landing? What terminal lounge would have this facility?

I'm looking to spend a better part of the day in Singapore and wanted to freshen up upon landing and later before leaving.

Thanks!
I am positive you have access to the SKL Business lounge.
Are you star Gold? THen, SATS Gold lounge too.
Old Apr 29, 10, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy View Post
SQ can have an arrivals lounge at Changi if it so chose -- they choose not to. So yes, the airline can be "blamed". Whether it's worth SQ's while to have an arrivals lounge is a completely separate question.
Boy u sure are not a Happy Camper are you, stick with CO, I mean you have choices why continue to bash................................and after all You are a Continental owner

Last edited by djjaguar64; Apr 29, 10 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 29, 10, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
When travelling in J I always get up 3 hours before landing
3 hours!! Boy you must get really dirty during that flight!
Old Apr 29, 10, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by XX38 View Post
3 hours!! Boy you must get really dirty during that flight!
On the contrary, why 3 hours you ask, make sure the loo is not busy and prepare for a lovely breakfast.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: