FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lcpteck Apr 30, 13 11:21 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 20675986)
Wow that's great. I actually thought it was only for big merchants like Amazon. Would paypal transactions count then?

They should count but not if they were used to pay for the restricted items (travel-related, utilities, etc..)

vsepr Apr 30, 13 8:18 pm

AMEX has updated their Membership Rewards points to Frequent Flyer miles website today 01 May 2013. The previous rate of 1.6MR to 1 mile is for high tier cards only!!

https://global.americanexpress.com/m...Id=11&pageNo=1

If you log in online to do a redemption, you will see this message:

Important Notice on Frequent Flyer Conversion Rates:

1. American Express Centurion and Platinum Charge Cardmembers can enjoy a preferential conversion rate of 400 points to 250 air miles at participating Frequent Flyer Partners. Please select the correct redemption option.
2. All other American Express Cardmembers enrolled under the Membership Rewards Traveller Option programme can transfer based on the conversion rate of 450 points to 250 air miles at participating Frequent Flyer Partners.

American Express Rewards Cardmembers will be charged a transfer fee of S$20 (GST inclusive) per conversion of points to Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Partners.

lcpteck Apr 30, 13 10:12 pm

3 Miles/$1 Overseas PROMO - UOB PRVI Miles Platinum Amex Card

Just received the sms.

Promo is back, valid for all overseas from now till spending till 31 July 2013.

vsepr Apr 30, 13 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20674695)
Thanks, added this to the "Pros" for the PM card. ^

I've just updated most of the info for the Ascend card - could you please check this section for a bit of an overhaul as some things have probably been reworked for the new card. This is the old stuff we have:

* 50% bonus for those who charge $5,000 or more to their card(s) this calendar year (additional miles will be posted in Feb 2013).
* Additional 50% bonus for those who charge $12,000 or more to their card(s) this calendar year, capped at 8,000 bonus miles (additional miles will be posted in Feb 2013).
========
e.g. $2,000 ticket purchase at singaporeair.com:
1,250 base miles
625 bonus if annual spend reaches $5,000 or more
625 additional bonus if annual spend reaches $12,000 or more
1,250 double miles bonus for purchasing ticket online
------
3,750 total miles for this purchase (1,250 of which will only be credited in Feb '11)

Same purchase using Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa would generate 4,000 miles straight away

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13807949-post1.html

Ascend card does not have this promo, you can remove it:

"* 50% bonus for those who charge $5,000 or more to their card(s) this calendar year (additional miles will be posted in Feb 2013).
* Additional 50% bonus for those who charge $12,000 or more to their card(s) this calendar year, capped at 8,000 bonus miles (additional miles will be posted in Feb 2013).
========
e.g. $2,000 ticket purchase at singaporeair.com:
1,250 base miles
625 bonus if annual spend reaches $5,000 or more
625 additional bonus if annual spend reaches $12,000 or more
1,250 double miles bonus for purchasing ticket online
------
3,750 total miles for this purchase (1,250 of which will only be credited in Feb '11)

Same purchase using Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa would generate 4,000 miles straight away."

Also, for Ascend card's mileage accrual: 1 mile for every $1.20 spent (every $0.83 gives 1 mile), is wrong. Should be: every $1 gives 0.83 mile.

For DBS Altitude VISA/AMEX, 1 more pro: Unlike UOB PRVI Miles AMEX, points are not rounded off before multiplying by 3. Only rounded off to whole number after final calculation. Minimum spending is S$1.67. If you charge S$1.67, you will get 2 miles. (1.67/5)x3= 1.002 points => 1 point =2 miles awarded.

For Citi PremierMiles VISA, remove "plus another 10,000 miles if you spend more than $50,000 in any membership year. Unsure of any annual fee waiver conditions." No more bonus 10,000 miles if you spend more than $50,000 in any membership year. Annual fee can be waived even if you do not use the card at all and do not want the 10,000 bonus miles for paying the $192.60 annual fee.

hclee01 May 1, 13 2:12 am

https://sg.anz.com/ANZPrivileges/car...-sure-win-spin

From 1 May to 30 Jun 2013, look forward to guaranteed gifts as follows:

Receive gifts with ANZ Online Sure-win Spin

Accumulate S$1,000 on ANZ Credit Card and get 2 pins to win a variety of gifts including S$10,000 cash credit, iPad Mini, dining and shopping vouchers, airlines tickets and more. You will get 1 spin for every S$500 charged thereafter and double spins for overseas spend.

To participate, SMS <surewin> space <16-digit credit card no> space <mobile number> to 77288.

Get up to S$50 cash credit every week

Enjoy S$5 cash credit every time you charge S$100 or more to your ANZ Credit Card, up to 10 redemptions or S$50 each week.

To redeem, SMS <cash> space <16-digit credit card no> space <spend amount> to 77288.

Terms & Conditions:
- Valid from 1 May to 30 Jun 2013 and open to all Principal & Supplementary Cardmembers

- A return SMS acknowledgement will be sent to the Cardmember

- To qualify for the ANZ Online Sure-Win Spin, Cardmember must send an SMS with the required format to 77288 and charge a min of S$1,000 to ANZ cards to earn the first 2 spins. Thereafter, every subsequent S$500 will earn 1 spin. Every S$500 charged in foreign currency (other than SGD) will earn double the number of spins. Each card can earn up to a max of 20 spins throughout the promotion period. Cardmembers will receive the URL to log on with their unique User ID and the number of spins earned based on accumulated card spend over the promotion period. SMS will be sent before 31 Jul 2013. Gifts in the ANZ Online Sure-Win Spin should be awarded in the form of bonus Rewards Points / Travel$.

- To qualify for the S$5 Cash Credit, Cardmembers must charge a min of S$100 to ANZ cards in a single receipt within the promotion period and send SMS to 77288. Cardmembers may submit no more than 10 redemption requests per calendar week. A calendar week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday. Each successful redemption will be awarded 260 bonus Rewards Points / 1050 bonus Travel$, which can be used to redeem S$5 cash credit from the ANZ Rewards Program or keep the points for future redemption. Total number of redemption is limited to 30,000 throughout the promotion period, treated on first come first served basis, while stocks last.

As such, for the S$5 Cash Credit, every S$100 will give you 1,190 Travel$ (140 Travel$ + 1,050 Travel$). As such, S$1 = 11.9 miles! Very good promotion!

lsed May 1, 13 4:13 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20679166)
Just received the sms.

Promo is back, valid for all overseas from now till spending till 31 July 2013.

So I just applied for this via SMS.
Thing is I charged about 1K USD to my card at 4 AM this morning.
Do you think I qualified still?

lsed May 1, 13 5:15 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20676123)
They should count but not if they were used to pay for the restricted items (travel-related, utilities, etc..)

Thanks for this. Problem is how would I know if I really did get 10X UNI$ for the transaction?

The statement only shows one lump sum and I now have 4 cards with UOB!
They may very well be paying me 5X for some transactions and I won't even know.

Just this week my friend checked his UOB statement and his cashback for the ONE card had an error - only crediting 40% of the amount to his next statement .

aster May 1, 13 5:38 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20679294)
Also, for Ascend card's mileage accrual: 1 mile for every $1.20 spent (every $0.83 gives 1 mile), is wrong. Should be: every $1 gives 0.83 mile.

For DBS Altitude VISA/AMEX, 1 more pro: Unlike UOB PRVI Miles AMEX, points are not rounded off before multiplying by 3. Only rounded off to whole number after final calculation. Minimum spending is S$1.67. If you charge S$1.67, you will get 2 miles. (1.67/5)x3= 1.002 points => 1 point =2 miles awarded.

For Citi PremierMiles VISA, remove "plus another 10,000 miles if you spend more than $50,000 in any membership year. Unsure of any annual fee waiver conditions." No more bonus 10,000 miles if you spend more than $50,000 in any membership year. Annual fee can be waived even if you do not use the card at all and do not want the 10,000 bonus miles for paying the $192.60 annual fee.

Everything should be there now. ^

lcpteck May 1, 13 5:48 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 20680181)
Thanks for this. Problem is how would I know if I really did get 10X UNI$ for the transaction?

The statement only shows one lump sum and I now have 4 cards with UOB!
They may very well be paying me 5X for some transactions and I won't even know.

Just this week my friend checked his UOB statement and his cashback for the ONE card had an error - only crediting 40% of the amount to his next statement .

You would have to track the UNI$ earned manually, that's what some of us are doing. Since I only started using UOB cards this year, it was easier for me to track them one by one and count the UNI$ to see if it tallies with the lump sum.

aster May 1, 13 7:15 am

Guys, what are your experiences with fee waivers at various banks?

I have always tried to keep the number of cards I have to a minimum, but I understand that there are those with several or more CCs who find having so many cards worth their time & money. How do they sort out the fee waivers? Wish so many cards it must be increasingly difficult to satisfy most min. spend criteria (whether openly listed or not), and yet paying for so many cards probably wouldn't make sense either so how does this work?

hclee01 May 1, 13 7:18 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20680495)
Guys, what are your experiences with fee waivers at various banks?

I have always tried to keep the number of cards I have to a minimum, but I understand that there are those with several or more CCs who find having so many cards worth their time & money. How do they sort out the fee waivers? Wish so many cards it must be increasingly difficult to satisfy most min. spend criteria (whether openly listed or not), and yet paying for so many cards probably wouldn't make sense either so how does this work?

So far, I have find it relatively easy to get a waiver, the only hassle is having to make the call or email them. Most banks have the automated option of having to leave your contact details and they will SMS to inform you whether the waiver is approved or not. So far, I do get waiver for the annual fees.

There are cards (e.g. ANZ Travel, Citi PM Card, DBS Altitude Card) which provides miles for payment of annual fees, which do come in handy, when one is short of some miles for the award redemption.

aster May 1, 13 9:04 am

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 20680513)
So far, I have find it relatively easy to get a waiver, the only hassle is having to make the call or email them. Most banks have the automated option of having to leave your contact details and they will SMS to inform you whether the waiver is approved or not. So far, I do get waiver for the annual fees.

There are cards (e.g. ANZ Travel, Citi PM Card, DBS Altitude Card) which provides miles for payment of annual fees, which do come in handy, when one is short of some miles for the award redemption.

Yes, I noticed that some automatic phone systems have an option for the fee waiver. :)

Could you please provide some examples (you can leave the type of card blank if you prefer) or some low spending cards for which you have managed to get a fee-waiver anyway? Vsepr mentioned the Citi PM card as one where you can always get the waiver even with no spend, but I'm curious how various banks deal with customers who have loads of cards, some of which are rarely used.

chez81 May 1, 13 9:58 am

ANZ Bonus miles

has anyone got their bonus miles from overseas spend before 31 Dec 2012? It's May and I still didn't get my bonus miles!!

have called 3 times and phone office told me it'd be mid-May where a lump sum credit will be done.

ANZ as a card issuer is terrible! Calls area answered only at least after 5 mins, no internet banking, late fulfilment of miles (clearly in breach of T&C!), and new promo for new customers only?!!

hclee01 May 1, 13 10:00 am

Originally Posted by chez81 (Post 20681366)
has anyone got their bonus miles from overseas spend before 31 Dec 2012? It's May and I still didn't get my bonus miles!!

have called 3 times and phone office told me it'd be mid-May where a lump sum credit will be done.

ANZ as a card issuer is terrible! Calls area answered only at least after 5 mins, no internet banking, late fulfilment of miles (clearly in breach of T&C!), and new promo for new customers only?!!

Same here, I have not gotten mine too. I called twice and was promised a callback to revert on the "missing" miles. To-date, I have yet to receive any call from them too.

aster May 1, 13 11:13 am

What's the deal with no ibanking? They offer accounts in Singapore, right, so is it just your CC that you cannot see online via ibanking?