FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

planetshakers Apr 29, 13 1:27 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20667705)
Yup, but only gives you 50 points = 20 miles for every $50.25 top-up.

Yes, but the points is just the bonus. The main thing is the 7% rebate. I value anything that gives more than 5% rebate than miles :) If I cannot get more than 5% rebate / discount, I will use my miles card :) Even SCB manhatten can't beat the 7%. Just remember to keep EZlink expenses to below $500 / month so as not to burst the $100 quarterly rebate cap.

tranceaty Apr 29, 13 6:15 am

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 20668087)
Yes, but the points is just the bonus. The main thing is the 7% rebate. I value anything that gives more than 5% rebate than miles :) If I cannot get more than 5% rebate / discount, I will use my miles card :) Even SCB manhatten can't beat the 7%. Just remember to keep EZlink expenses to below $500 / month so as not to burst the $100 quarterly rebate cap.

That would mean you are exchanging the additional 50 miles (which you may earn on ANZ travel) for the extra 2% rebate (which is approximately $1). That goes back to the question on how much you value miles. 2 cents per mile?

Just wondering, do you spend so much on ez-reload (>$300?) such that you can always entitle to the 7% rebate every month?

vsepr Apr 29, 13 8:43 am

For those of you who have received and used this new American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card, please share how the miles are awarded for the first 3 months for the 2x bonus miles.
Is 2x miles straight away awarded once the charge is posted or just the basic 1x usual miles?
If 2x miles are awarded, are they credited on the basis of 5 bonus KrisFlyer miles for every full block of S$6 in eligible purchases or same amount as the basic 1x miles? Thanks

aster Apr 29, 13 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20663385)
But Fairprice for instance does not take Paywave, though I'm fairly sure they accept EZ-link (as do CS btw).

Wow, turns out the opposite is true.

No EZ-link at Fairprice which truly surprised me. :td:

But what surprised me even more is the possibility to use Paywave there. Bit of a shocker, I must admit. :eek: Normally the Paywave/Paypass terminals are these square white things that face the customer, but at Fairprice you have to look for the regular-type ones that look just like standard card terminals and not contactless ones. Look for the OCBC branding (reddish in colour) and notice the little sticker at the top with the contactless logo.

You kind of have to lean over to see it because as mentioned the terminal faces the cashier.

lsed Apr 29, 13 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20670807)
Wow, turns out the opposite is true.

No EZ-link at Fairprice which truly surprised me. :td:

But what surprised me even more is the possibility to use Paywave there. Bit of a shocker, I must admit. :eek: Normally the Paywave/Paypass terminals are these square white things that face the customer, but at Fairprice you have to look for the regular-type ones that look just like standard card terminals and not contactless ones. Look for the OCBC branding (reddish in colour) and notice the little sticker at the top with the contactless logo.

You kind of have to lean over to see it because as mentioned the terminal faces the cashier.

hmmm so we can earn 4/$1 at NTUC? how about NTUC vouchers then? Surely that is more saleable than cold storage ones

planetshakers Apr 29, 13 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by tranceaty (Post 20668603)

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 20668087)

That would mean you are exchanging the additional 50 miles (which you may earn on ANZ travel) for the extra 2% rebate (which is approximately $1). That goes back to the question on how much you value miles. 2 cents per mile?

Just wondering, do you spend so much on ez-reload (>$300?) such that you can always entitle to the 7% rebate every month?

I buy my groceries at shop n save / giant / Econ minimart. Link my wife's card to my HSBC revo as well. Take cab use Ezlink. Buy newspaper / bread at 7-eleven. Cut hair $10 at Okinawa use Ezlink. Eat at Burger King use Ezlink. Buy drink at jollibean use Ezlink. Many many ways.

Last time can pay Singtel / StarHub / Jetstar bills At 7-eleven using Ezlink as well :)

vsepr Apr 29, 13 8:02 pm

https://global.americanexpress.com/m...Id=11&pageNo=1

The icons and links for frequent flyer programs like KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Enrich etc have been removed in the AMEX Membership Rewards website today, 30/4/2013.

aster Apr 29, 13 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 20672658)
I buy my groceries at shop n save / giant / Econ minimart. Link my wife's card to my HSBC revo as well.

Have you run a calculation to see whether the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa card will be better off in this case? Considering online purchases generate 4 miles/$ and you can top-up EZ-link online at 90 cents for a $100 reload, this might prove more beneficial.

aster Apr 29, 13 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20663855)

Hi Vsepr, thanks for the write-up, I have taken the info you provided and updated the first post.

How long are Citi points valid for? We have the validity up for all cards except for this one.

The info on the Citi waiver has always been listed, albeit in the "Cost:" section. I have also moved details of fee waiver to this section for all cards. UOB PPV+ANZ+Maybank cards listed as "Unsure of any annual fee waiver conditions.

For the rounding I've highlighted UOB in the "Cons" section and ANZ in the "Pros" one, no mention of DBS/Citi as they are somewhere in the middle.

All your info should be up, if there's anything you think needs changing just let me know. Next step when I find a moment will be to update the new KF Amex card.

vsepr Apr 29, 13 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20673547)
Hi Vsepr, thanks for the write-up, I have taken the info you provided and updated the first post.

How long are Citi points valid for? We have the validity up for all cards except for this one.

The info on the Citi waiver has always been listed, albeit in the "Cost:" section. I have also moved details of fee waiver to this section for all cards. UOB PPV+ANZ+Maybank cards listed as "Unsure of any annual fee waiver conditions.

For the rounding I've highlighted UOB in the "Cons" section and ANZ in the "Pros" one, no mention of DBS/Citi as they are somewhere in the middle.

All your info should be up, if there's anything you think needs changing just let me know. Next step when I find a moment will be to update the new KF Amex card.

CitiMiles for the Citi PremierMiles card do not expire. Citidollars for Citi Clear & Rewards Card have a 5 year validity.

planetshakers Apr 30, 13 1:52 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20673318)
Have you run a calculation to see whether the UOB Preferred Platinum Visa card will be better off in this case? Considering online purchases generate 4 miles/$ and you can top-up EZ-link online at 90 cents for a $100 reload, this might prove more beneficial.

For EZ reload, its only 25c / top up of $50, so I will choose this instead of UOB Preferred Platinum Visa card. Also, for my online purchases, UOB Preferred Platinum Visa card dose not give me 10x at my merchants I shop at. Anyway my other non-UOB cards earns me 100k miles / year, and I can only take 1 holiday a year so I don't need to generate so much miles yet, and I will consolidate to 1 or 2 banks credit cards.

But for people who uses UOB Preferred Platinum Visa card, it is indeed very lucrative for miles.

aster Apr 30, 13 6:36 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20673635)
CitiMiles for the Citi PremierMiles card do not expire. Citidollars for Citi Clear & Rewards Card have a 5 year validity.

Thanks, added this to the "Pros" for the PM card. ^

I've just updated most of the info for the Ascend card - could you please check this section for a bit of an overhaul as some things have probably been reworked for the new card. This is the old stuff we have:

* 50% bonus for those who charge $5,000 or more to their card(s) this calendar year (additional miles will be posted in Feb 2013).
* Additional 50% bonus for those who charge $12,000 or more to their card(s) this calendar year, capped at 8,000 bonus miles (additional miles will be posted in Feb 2013).
========
e.g. $2,000 ticket purchase at singaporeair.com:
1,250 base miles
625 bonus if annual spend reaches $5,000 or more
625 additional bonus if annual spend reaches $12,000 or more
1,250 double miles bonus for purchasing ticket online
------
3,750 total miles for this purchase (1,250 of which will only be credited in Feb '11)

Same purchase using Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa would generate 4,000 miles straight away

lsed Apr 30, 13 9:00 am

Which UOB card is the one that gives 10X on EZLink top ups? The Preferred Plat VISA?

Also how can we see the breakdown of the UNI$ earned? I have 4 cards now with UOB and it all lumps everything together it seems!

aster Apr 30, 13 9:25 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 20675341)
Which UOB card is the one that gives 10X on EZLink top ups? The Preferred Plat VISA?

Yup, 10 UNI$ on internet spend minus some areas like travel-related, utilities, etc.

lsed Apr 30, 13 10:59 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20675483)
Yup, 10 UNI$ on internet spend minus some areas like travel-related, utilities, etc.

Wow that's great. I actually thought it was only for big merchants like Amazon. Would paypal transactions count then?

I actually went to a SAM machine 20 mins ago to see if I could pay bills using the EZLink card as I noticed they recently installed EZlink readers on those machines. Unfortunately they only accept NETS.

There must be a way to somehow 'cash out' the value even if its some convoluted method taking multiple steps.