FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

planetshakers Apr 17, 2013 10:18 pm

For those who have a big amount to swipe, call in for the alternate offer of 5x miles and pay the annual fee of $256.80.

Swipe $7.5k in one month ( be in $5 denominations) and get 30,371 miles for an ROI of 4.049 miles / $.

This excludes the 2x bonus at Singaporeair / tradewinds.

Awesom Andy Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20610362)
My opinion on this is no need to pay the fee. Just apply the free Ascend card online before 31 July 2013, get the freebies and at most use for the first 3 months, S$1 = 1.66 miles. After that can keep in drawer collect dust.

That's quite a bit of effort to get an extra 0.06 mile per $1, if you have the UOB card already. So in practice, only the freebies are useful - i.e. use once, and it can go collect dust already.

enelym1978 Apr 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 20610443)
That's quite a bit of effort to get an extra 0.06 mile per $1, if you have the UOB card already. So in practice, only the freebies are useful - i.e. use once, and it can go collect dust already.

Yup, getting it for the freebies would be the only good main reason to get this new Ascend card.... 4 lounge accesses and 1 night at a Millenium hotel.

Let's say you still pay for the annual fee, it's still kinda worth it.

ozdude Apr 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Has anyone calculated the effective miles rate when you factor in the 20K miles from the 50+50 bonus miles reward on the Krisflyer card? I am too lazy to try other cards and I think I do ok using the Gold Krisflyer. With UOB Amex do you get bonus miles each year?

aster Apr 18, 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ozdude (Post 20610534)
Has anyone calculated the effective miles rate when you factor in the 20K miles from the 50+50 bonus miles reward on the Krisflyer card? I am too lazy to try other cards and I think I do ok using the Gold Krisflyer. With UOB Amex do you get bonus miles each year?

Usually when issuers throw these little twists and turns it's to make things seem better than they are. And the KrisFlyer Amex has been that type of card as far back as I can remember.

Every time I ran the numbers it simply lost out to DBS, and now you have UOB playing the game too.

lsed Apr 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20609617)
The notice is in your March 2013 AMEX statement under: Cardmember Offers and Information

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Membership Rewards Traveller Option enrolled Cardmembers: With effect from 1 May 2013, the points conversion rate for all participating Membership Rewards Frequent Flyer partners will be revised to 450 Membership Rewards points for 250 air miles.
Visit americanexpress.com.sg/membershiprewards for more details.

450 MR points = 250 miles
900 MR points = 500 miles
1800 MR points = 1000 miles
ie: 1.8 MR points = 1 mile

For Rewards Card, normal 1x: S$1.80 = 1 mile, S$1 = 0.556 mile.
For Platinum Credit Card, normal 1x: S$1.44 = 1 mile, S$1 = 0.694 mile.
(S$1.60 earn 2 MR points, 1.8 MR points = 1 mile, wef 01 May 2013)

Just saw it. Such a tiny fine print and the agent on the phone didnt not highlight this to me when we were on the topic of miles conversion. :td:

lsed Apr 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Btw, thanks to you guys I've chanced on the Preferred Amex card. 10X UNI = 4 miles per $1 is pretty good!

Does it work for clubs like Zouk / Mink? I have friends that go crazy with the champagne every time we club.

Seems like a good card to sign up if you spend a fair bit on food.

Perhaps I'll sign up and organize groups of dinners with different friends at some nice restaurants and I'll pay using my card first =)

I'm surprised the preferred plat sign up requirement is lower than the PRVI Miles

Oh BTW:
Is it possible to transfer UOB UNI$ > KF (but other person's account/ family member's account)?

planetshakers Apr 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Amex Krisflyer Ascend

Amex Krisflyer Ascend is approved and reflected in internet banking. Took 3 working days.

vsepr Apr 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 20615637)
Amex Krisflyer Ascend is approved and reflected in internet banking. Took 3 working days.

Are you a current AMEX cardholder when you applied for KrisFlyer Ascend?
Do you need to submit your income documents? or just apply by filling the form? Thanks

lcpteck Apr 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 20614470)
Btw, thanks to you guys I've chanced on the Preferred Amex card. 10X UNI = 4 miles per $1 is pretty good!

Does it work for clubs like Zouk / Mink? I have friends that go crazy with the champagne every time we club.

Seems like a good card to sign up if you spend a fair bit on food.

Perhaps I'll sign up and organize groups of dinners with different friends at some nice restaurants and I'll pay using my card first =)

I'm surprised the preferred plat sign up requirement is lower than the PRVI Miles

Oh BTW:
Is it possible to transfer UOB UNI$ > KF (but other person's account/ family member's account)?

Wow you woke up early to post this. :)

Yes you should get 10x UNI$ in those establishments. Below is the details from UOB site, take note of the info in BOLD.

Cardmembers will earn 10X UNI$ at any F&B establishments registered under the following MCC:

5812 Eating Places and Restaurants
5813 Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages) – Bars, Taverns, Nightclubs, Cocktail Lounges, and Discotheques
5814 Fast Food Restaurants

F&B establishments does not include bakeries, caterers and F&B spending at establishments that does not have F&B as its main business activity such as hotels and supermarkets. Some examples of these F&B establishments will include Swensens, Crystal Jade, Tung Lok, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Les Amis, Overeasy and Wine Bar.

If you have made any other transactions that are not awarded the bonus UNI$ correctly, please call our Amex Platinum Hotline 1800 352 5222 to inform us so that we can make improvements to provide the best privileges and services to our Cardmembers.

lcpteck Apr 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 20615637)

I wonder what is the free gift they are offering at the ION roadshow for taking a photo of yourself at the photobooth there and posting it on facebook.

planetshakers Apr 19, 2013 12:08 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20615660)
Are you a current AMEX cardholder when you applied for KrisFlyer Ascend?
Do you need to submit your income documents? or just apply by filling the form? Thanks

Current Amex cardholder for 6+ years. No need submit ANY income document when apply online through AMEX SG website. Krisflyer Gold card replaced by Ascend as shown in internet banking. No change in credit limit.

lokijuh Apr 19, 2013 12:51 am

A question ... Do people still find value in simple cards? I like the Premier Miles (OK I could probably upgrade to DBS altitude for same reason) because of its simplicity. 1.2 pts/$ in SG, 2 pts/$ overseas, transferrable to KF, Avios and others. Very simple or easy.

No need to worry about getting 3.73 pts per SGD $7 spent rounded down to the nearest 27c, with a bonus 7 miles per $6.38 spent on a Wednesday evening between 7:31pm and 7:43pm at the Nex outlet of ColdStorage*. ;)

* not including spend on alcohol, fresh foods or confectionery. Limited to 600 bonus points per month

aviationp Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 20616533)
A question ... Do people still find value in simple cards? I like the Premier Miles (OK I could probably upgrade to DBS altitude for same reason) because of its simplicity. 1.2 pts/$ in SG, 2 pts/$ overseas, transferrable to KF, Avios and others. Very simple or easy.

No need to worry about getting 3.73 pts per SGD $7 spent rounded down to the nearest 27c, with a bonus 7 miles per $6.38 spent on a Wednesday evening between 7:31pm and 7:43pm at the Nex outlet of ColdStorage*. ;)

* not including spend on alcohol, fresh foods or confectionery. Limited to 600 bonus points per month

Totally agree with you. Any card which has any restrictions I totally avoid, unless there is a larger than usual opportunity cost.

I've decided its UOB for all expenditures that accept AMEX above SG$5 and Citibank for everything else. Sure I might be losing sometimes, but I value the simplicity

vsepr Apr 19, 2013 2:20 am

Originally Posted by aviationp (Post 20616659)
Totally agree with you. Any card which has any restrictions I totally avoid, unless there is a larger than usual opportunity cost.

I've decided its UOB for all expenditures that accept AMEX above SG$5 and Citibank for everything else. Sure I might be losing sometimes, but I value the simplicity

You may want to consider ANZ Travel Card instead for S$ spending.
1. S$1=1.4mile.
2. VISA Card.
3. 5% Rebate for EZ-link & Cold Storage/Marketplace/Giant (charge >S$600 in a calendar month).
4. Charge >S$1500 every 30 days and get a free limo ride to airport.
5. You save on conversion fees by using 1 card. (S$25 per transfer)
6. Transfer in blocks of 500 miles (not 10,000 miles).
7. No per S$5 rounding off. The entire charge is multiplied by 1.4miles, including cents. Only the decimal part for miles is rounded down. Eg. S$19.99 = 27 miles. (0.986 rounded off). UOB PRVI: 24 miles, Citi PM: 22.8 miles.
8. Miles valid for 5 years.

Only bad thing about ANZ is
1. no internet banking,
2. no bonus miles for overseas charges.
3. Miles valid for 5 years, not no expiry.

http://www.anz.com/singapore/en/Pers...s/travel-card/